Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • best cheap base layers (to go under roadie jersey etc)?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m slowly spending all my spare change on roadie stuff, but need some base layers. can anyone recommend some cheap but decent ones please – i’d say 20quid or less?

momo

I’ve got a couple of decathlon ones which I like.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sondico football base layers from Sports Direct.

Usually on a 2 for ( I think?) £24.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Anyone rate the Planet X ones?

retrorick

Aldi workwear base layers are great. Probably less than £8 each.

benp1

Can’t you use the base layers you had from MTBing?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon.

MoreCashThanDash

Decathlon. Skiing ones come in a variety of “warmths” and the basic ones are cheaper than the cycling specific ones.

CraigW
    Free Member

You can get Helly Hansen Dry or Helly Hansen Active Flow tops for less than £20. Maybe £15 if you shop around (try Sportsshoes.com). I like them anyway.

Jase
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the Planet x ones and the Agu ones they did.

Nowhere near as good as the Under Armour ones I have but are ok for the money – think I paid £7.50 each for them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Start fitness.

I think the Asics running ones I got in the sale were about £5 each.

They are just plain black.

mcnultycop

I have Planet X, Decathlon, a couple of Helly Hansen “Dry” and they are all good. The best one I have though was about £6 from Mountain Warehouse.

aP
    Free Member

Uniqlo heat-tech t-shirts are pretty good.

lunge

Decathlon football ones do me most of the time. I’ve also got a couple of Underarmour ones for the cold weather.

tillydog
    Free Member

Sondico football base layers from Sports Direct.

They were on sale the other week at 2 for £10, so I got a couple. I feel robbed 😉

They’re comfy enough, and seem well made, but at the first sign of even very moderate exercise, they turn into a sweat-soaked, clammy, clinging mess. Even cotton T shirts are better.

YMMV!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Loving the one I got in Aldi a month back.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Can’t you use the base layers you had from MTBing?

good call, but i’ve never had one.

TiRed

Not cheap, but the best road base layer i have ever worn is a Castelli wifebeater aka sleeveless string base layer. Others i have tried include a cheap Aldi bamboo shirt thatsoaks through, nike pro combat sleeveless and sleeved, not bad, falke thermal for when it gets really cold, endura thermal for really really cold. The Castelli is the best, even under a roubaix fleece top.

tiim
    Free Member

I’m quite impressed with the planetx 365 sleeveless base layers for road riding, cost me a fiver each and are holding up well, though quite long in the body.

benp1

Well if you don’t need have any then definitely need some

Helly ones are good – quite cheap and wick very well, I have 3

Nike pro combat is pretty good, so are the Gore ones

I use merino for winter commuting but they’re not so good for high output, sweaty rides as they don’t work quick enough

sturdylad
    Free Member

Decathalon 700 series(I think) mesh vest thing is my current favourite.
    Linky
    One size fits all and it’s very odd when you first put it on.
    Think they’re about £14
    Been wearing mine with a long sleeve jersey recently and it’s fine temperature wise.
    The cheaper one is also good

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@Sturdylad the decathlon one looks very similar to the Outwet OSFA that I’ve been using. Great, forgettable in use, just works. The Outwet one had the chest straps for a hrm built in but I find it wicks away the liquid for the contacts so the signal is intermittent. It’s too good at wicking!
    Do you know if they do a long sleeve?
    Helly Hansen baselayers have always been known as Smelly Hansens with anyone I’ve walked/cycled with. They’re good but just always end up stinking.

benp1

Actually, I completely forgot to mention my most recent baselayer purchase (how many is too many…?)

Brynje mesh

Used for an Alps walking/bivy trip, was absolutely brilliant!

sturdylad
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t know if they do a long sleeve, have a quick look round the website though, I’m sure they’ll have something!

Don’t think I’ve seen anything long sleeved in mesh pabric though, I could be wrong!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘best cheap base layers (to go under roadie jersey etc)?’ is closed to new replies.