Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best bikes you’ve bought for under £100? (Pics)
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

Let’s have some pics of the best bikes you’ve bought for under £100

Diamondback Apex for £80
    Diamondback Apex for £80 a few years back. Rode it til it rusted through.

Carrera Gryphon for £43
    Carrera Gryphon for £43 a week ago.

yetidave
    Free Member

nullBike frame from a skip, most of the bits were donated by someone who didnt want them anymore (9 speed, 26″, cheap brakes etc), some bits from my spares box including the forks. Sad thing is that it was built for my daughter who has been on it twice in two years. Just not interested.

escrs
    Free Member

No pics of it built up but i got this for free from Facebook marketplace

Merida carbon mtb frame, 9 speed Shimano XT groupset, 26in Alex rims built into Deore hubs, Shimano Hydro brakes, good suspension forks (cant remember make) with lock out

Frame had a slight issue with a dubious repair!

134337296_10164724620875161_8087479209119898352_n

133906034_10164724276390161_310439349881421902_n

133890000_10164724620745161_3922771222496893353_n

yetidave
    Free Member

That’s going to be lovely. Do you have good life insurance, and will it be still valid after this post?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I think the frame for this was £40, everything else was partsbin. Was locked up at Paddington, and then Waterloo, as my London commuter before I got a Brompton. Rode really rather well, was sad to see it go.

igm

£50 for a 1993 Kona Hahanna.  Put some Big Apple 2.35” slicks on it and it’s the perfect ride to the station, ride to the pub bike.

No photo, but you’re not missing much as the terracotta brown to grey fade is not beautiful.

footflaps

I seem to vaguely recall that my first ever MTB, 1986 Ridgeback 601 wasn’t much more than £100, or maybe it was £200. I seem to recall that the Rally Maverick was around £300 back then?

MrSparkle

I bought a Moulton for £10 at York Cycle Rally once with a view to turning it into a commuter/pub bike. It was a deeply unfashionable Moulton and needed quite a bit doing so I stuck it on eBay. It was bought by a Japanese collector for £100. Ker-ching!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

€75 for a 1979 Peugeot Record Du Monde which was hardly used. Original sprockets, wheels etc, just replaced tyres and bar tape and entered L’Heroica Hispania.
    My Eroica bike

cynic-al
    Free Member
    timber

Think it was £40, added some stickers to cover the scuffs and got a new steering damper.

Treated with initial disdain, then suddenly became undetachable. Not even having her chin stitched put her off doing hot laps of the village.

balance bike

schmiken

Doesn’t quite meet the under £100 as it cost me exactly £100, but it’s a great entry into track riding!

It’s had a few parts bin additions since I bought it but it’s still in the spirit of the OP!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Super Tony, £55

@cynic-al
    – what the blinking flip is that? Why so many hinges/pivots/clevis pin frame joints? What is its purpose? Who built it? Where the hell did you find it? Can I have a go?

I love my pizza bike. A 1970s Coventry Eagle abandoned on our road and tarted up with a £35 rack, some worn out SRAM Rival and XX1 gears from my parts bin, a lovely £25 Dia Compe dual pivot front brake and some wheels from a written off bike. It’s rubbish but it brings me so much joy to ride.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nqLs7p]DSC_4055[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ntxWts]IMG_20210612_191911[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Voodoo Marasa gravel commuter built this evening from spares. Fork and frame came to £92.50

As its the only bike I’ve had for less than £100 it must also be the best!

tomhoward

Apollo vortice BMX £60 new whilst working at Halfords as a student, 2005ish. Bought as transport but an absolute riot razzing round Derby, by the time I’d finished with it no part was the same shape as when it started.

No pics but found this on the internet for reference.

slackboy

Bontrager privateer. £70 on ebay. Complete with sids and Chris king hub.

Specialized rockhopper, £60 on Facebook. Last of the steel models.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bought what was advertised as an 80s Dawes Galaxy for £20. Actually turned out to be a 1977 Mirage (the cerise and blue one) with a terrible respray. I’m planning on restoring it, the paint job and rechroming will take it well over the £100 but whatever.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Personally I’ve got slackboy winning so far with the Bontrager Privateer.. XT/XTR, Chris King and Sids for £70!

cookeaa

Kids bikes first:

Frame and fork were £50, spares box/eBay probably got this one in a shade over £100

£50 plus some bits from the spares bin

This was £15, plus a cut down old alloy bar to save some weight.

Others:

Frame and fork were £30 IIRC most parts Frome spares bin or eBay, does commuting and winter road duties.

Frame and fork were £10, spares bin and eBay again, novelty nonsense, it’s great fun.

matt_outandabout

P7 skip find here. I popped new tyres and tubes in and sold for £200.

😎

cookeaa

Oh yeah and this one another £50 frame and fork bargain…

TBH so far I think munrobiker’s Coventry Eagle is my favourite.

Saccades
    Free Member

Kona Hahanna my brother was throwing away.

Ec90 stem and bars were £10 from mountain mayhem, big apples £7.50 each from planet X. Xt seatpost was £5 from retro bike.

A Raleigh Mustang in 1986 was £189.99, took me two years of paper rounds to afford it @footflaps. Still have it too, at my dad’s fitted with farmer John tyres.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Another one here interested to know more about that Super Tony cynic-al??

didnthurt

Love the pizza bike 😀

binners

This was just before people started attaching the word ‘retro’ to old bikes and parts and asking daft money for them. Tatty GT Timberline Reynolds 525 frame bought for the princely sum of 12 quid off ebay, stripped and powder coated, then built up with parts bin, donated and the odd bit of new stuff – Chainring and headset, from memory. It came in at about 100 quid, the main cost being the matt black powder coat on the frame

didnthurt

cookea

You have a great eye for a bargain, any chance you could put a PSA up on here on the next one you find but don’t have room for 🙏

cynic-al
    Free Member

@munrobiker it folds! A random Edinburgh SH find. You’re welcome to have a go once I overhaul the coaster brake hub which only has about half its bearings.

vmgscot

Carlton roadbike – ‘best’ because it allowed me to go touring (that’s ‘bikepacking’ for all you youngins) throughout the UK as a teenager back in the late 70’s. From memory £50 got me frame/forks and some gearing bits – the rest came off an old Reg Harris shed find.

Bike apparel was a little different back then 🙂

dirkpitt74

‘Technically’ this one only cost me £5.97…….

3 x £1.99 entries into the monthly Cream Bike Competition!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thought I did well with a mk1 Santa Cruz Chameleon jump bike that needed a little work for £100 but a Bonty (even a Trek one) Privateer for sub-£100… WOW!

matt_outandabout

I need me a pizza bike in my life…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.