Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best bike racks?
  • bfw

I need to get a bike rack ASAP for my Merc EQA PDQ

I was wondering what is the best bike rack for the back hatch I can buy and what is the best tow bar unit?

I will look at fitting a tow bar and decide which. We are between bike carrying cars at the moment, and was going to wait but getting fed up only doing local dull mtb rides.

I am thinking of a two bike capacity.

Thank you

Fat-boy-fat

Yakima just click tow bar rack for me. Significantly better than Altera and Thule racks that I have previously owned.

bfw

they look excellent thank you

phil5556

I had a Thule Velospace XT2 which was genuinely excellent. Big lump to store though.

Wide enough mounting for Fatbikes to fit and normal MTBs went on without even having to think about any lining up etc. And it tilted enough to open a van tailgate.

I sold it because the bikes go in the van now.

susepic

Thule rack here, they just work.

For the towbar Witter or Tow-Trust with an detachable swan-neck tow ball

rickmeister

Experience timeline
    Thule roof bars and bikes on the roof: strong crosswind and it failed. Bike hanging off teh side of teh car.

Rear hatch rack: Thule Clip On High. Excellent and super secure. Wont work with a roof spoiler. Needs pain protection on the top of the tailgate. Fast and easy to use, no multiple straps to adjust or fall off.

Thule towbar Velospace XT2. Why didn’t I do this sooner. Fits all bikes, no axle rubbing. Safe, takes ebikes through to fatbikes. Often come up on FB marketplace or ebay small stuff.

BoardinBob

After selling the van and going back to a car with a towbar, I went for a Buzzrack. Much better priced than Thule, very well built and easy to use

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_e_scorpion_2_bike_folding_rack_no_brp612/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure_QE_y

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’m with boardinbob escorpion2 is ideal, the bar fits between the two bikes, so good for sticking on a dlock or chain whilst at services, packs up small for storage too, which was a big plus over thule

Anywhere vote for Buzzrack. Have one for my ebike

vonhoolio
    Free Member

Tried loads of options over the years and keep coming back to a tow bar with a Thule. I got the last two second hand on gumtree so it can cut the cost a bit.
    Jas

iainc

+1 on the Yakima just click, I prefer it to the Thule XT I had before it.

bfw

I was going to go for the towbar and towbar mounted rack. It was going to cost c£800 so I have decided to go back to my roof, fork clamped, racks that I had on my L200 pickups for the past 20 years. So ordered £250 of roof bars for the car.

I should have done this weeks ago, I am hoping to get a Transporter type van in March, but this will do in the meantime. It will be interesting what it does to the EV runtime but Swinley and the Surrey Hills are both 40 mins away so no biggy. I will back these details thanks all.

intheborders
    Free Member

I need a new rack as my current (Thule Euroway 2) rack just can’t manage the +1300mm wheelbase of my Kenevo SL – and TBH my older Cotic had already outgrown it.

What bikes are folks using on their Scorpions (as the recommended Thule’s are mega money)?

susepic

No idea what rack this is, but Thule mathh and peace of mind not so expensive perhaps

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnCkVCihw73/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

rickmeister

In the borders… size L Turbo Levo on the Thule XT and also size L e-fatbikes. Fit no problem with spare channel either end of the bike.

intheborders
    Free Member

In the borders… size L Turbo Levo on the Thule XT and also size L e-fatbikes. Fit no problem with spare channel either end of the bike.

Ta – and even with a bit of searching still well over £500…

superfli
    Free Member

Just make sure you get the widest spacing and length they do. Makes mounting the bikes so much easier and no need to put lagging between bikes.
    My Altera (ebike/DH bike job) one is excellent and very solid. Far more solid that my old Thule eurosomething (arms and wheels could twist, very unnerving). I suspect the Yakima ones even better but pricey

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.