Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best bike for
  • apefight
    Free Member

Hi All

I’ve just test ridden a few AM bikes to replace by faithful but aging 2001/2 Kona Stuff hardtail, and have narrowed it down to two, both 2012 and now well under £2,000 in the Jan Sales:

Rocky Mountain Altitude 50:
    Fork: Fox 32 Float RL (140)
    Shock: Fox Float RP2 XV (140)
    Drivetrain: Shimano SLX
    Brakes: Formula RX
    Wheels: DT Swiss 445D

Commencal Meta AM 3:
    Fork: Fox 32 Float RL (150)
    Shock: Fox Float RL (150)
    Drivetrain: SRAM X5/7
    Brakes: Formula RX
    Wheels: Mavic XM

I really liked both, but something about the Commencal grabs me more (blue paint?!). However, I’m not so sure about the component quality vs. the surprisingly good stuff fitted to the Rocky.

SRAM X7 and S1000 vs. Shimano SLX?
    Fox RL (150) vs. Fox RP2 (140)?
    Mavic XM 119 vs. DT Swiss 445D?

Can anyone help – should I be worried by the drivetrain and lower spec shock on the Commencal?

If it was your cash to spend on a reasonably light weight AM for swoopy downhill and longer XC rides, what would you buy?

Thanks!

therag
    Free Member

Look up skyline cycles. Metas on sale

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Another hardtail

andyrm
    Free Member

Get the Meta – much more stable geometry, fantastic frame and capable of really taking a thrashing thanks to slack and low geometry. I rode one a few weeks back to give a mate input on a test ride and really liked it.

And you can always upgrade as bits wear out – get the best platform you can and go from there.

apefight
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts. Skyline at Afan? Sadly they only have large frame sizes left, I need medium. Thanks though!

Any thoughts on the Rocky?

apefight
    Free Member

Good shout, although I don’t want to be forever replacing rear shocks….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best bike for’ is closed to new replies.