Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bending rim sidewalls when fitting tyres – what am I doing wrong!!!!
  • beamers

I’ve just emerged from a fight with a Rocket Ron TLR Addix (set up tubeless) and a Mavic Crossmax Elite.

That tyre / rim combo is tighter than a tight thing, or am I doing something wrong?

The end result is the tyre is on and inflated but in the process I’ve managed to fold in the sidewalls of the rim in a couple of places in the final stages of getting the tyre onto the rim. I’ve straightened them out again but they were quite bent.

I used plenty of soapy water to lubricate proceedings and the bead of the tyre was down in the centre of the rim.

What am I doing wrong!!!!!

simondbarnes

Were you fitting it using spoons?

beamers

Nope, my trusty Park Tool tyre levers.

Bez

How the hell do you manage that?!

joebristol

I’ve had some tyre fights but never come close to bending rim sidewalls!

beamers

How the hell do you manage that?!

That’s what I’m trying to work out. I straightened the dings out remarkably easily.

Are Mavic rims made of air hardened cheese?

mrl

Had the same with wtb tyres. Had park leavers snap and bent wtb, stans and superstar rims. only used park and cheap plastic leavers. Spesh and maxis tyres went on easy. So I think it is the tyres fault not the rim?

Northwind

A lot of mavic rims are either made out of soft cheese, or crumbly cheese- some of ’em bend too easily, others don’t bend but crack instead. But still, I’ve never had a rim so soft from any manufacturer that this happens.

Park levers are imo a bit shit. Too fat, which means they need more room and more force than other, better levers. People like them because they’re also strong and so you can apply a lot of force, same as Pedros. But it’s better to be like a Lezyne power lever, and not be strong enough to apply a lot of force, because you don’t need to because you have a better shaped hook. But again, even then, shouldn’t bend a wheel. That’s relaly the preserve of the stupid massive metal Pedros ones that nobody should still be using

Gribs

Is it considered normal to use tyre levers to put tyres on? I’d always assumed they were just to take them off. I’ve always just fully fitted one side, dropped it into the centre, and then pulled the other side on by hand. At worst I’ve had a couple of inches that needed rolling over two handed whilst holding the rim down with my foot.

simondbarnes

Is it considered normal to use tyre levers to put tyres on?

No, not at all.

beamers

There is absolutely no way these tyres will go on to these rims without levers.

Not. A. Chance.

Poopscoop

I’m probably way too Cairo’cautious here but I wouldn’t be very happy using that rim now, myself. From the description it sounds like you did a fair bit of damage rather than put a small ding in them. Straightening them out then makes the chance of further problems even more likely.

Never, ever bent rims putting tyres on. Not sure what to advise on that count.

matt_outandabout

Are Mavic rims made of air hardened cheese?

We had one set of Crossmax that were very soft. And two pair of Crossmax XL’s that were bullet proof.

bigG
    Free Member
    TiRed

I had a tubeless Vitoria Corsa Speed that was so tight it warped the carbon skin of by disc wheel HED replaced it under warranty. I don’t run it tubeless any more! Some combinations just don’t work. I’ve had one that was so tight it wasn’t going on full stop and I quit early. Sounds like you didn’t.

endomick
    Free Member

My toughest set up so far has been a magic mary on a mavic ex830, rim sidewall is pretty damn stronge and survived without a scratch, took me over 30 mins of wrestling, fairy liquid was required, a big sheet of cardboard to prevent accidental rim or endcap damage and standing on the tyre eventually got it on with a continental lever.

winston
    Free Member

Mavic have always been difficult in my experience.  So much so I avoid them now.

andrewreay

I’ve had a few battles over the years, but never used washing up liquid.

I wonder if it didn’t really help. Could you lose the sensation of resistance and not be able to detect when to stop?

Bending a rim may start to ‘feel’ the same as prising the tyre on, if that makes sense?

5lab

Having done a few really tight combos in the past, I think the trick with the final section is to put it on 1mm at a time from the side, rather than try to snap the whole bit on in one go. This way it naturally pulls the bead over towards the top, and can be done by hand (which you need if running tubes)

sillyoldman

Weird.

Re Park tyre levers – old ones were an odd shape, but current ones are good. Old ones I found too narrow, but too deep and too tapered.

https://www.parktool.com/product/tire-lever-set-tl-1-2?category=Tube%20%26%20Tire

https://www.parktool.com/product/tire-lever-set-tl-4-2?category=Tube%20%26%20Tire

Though, while these are gentle for such relatively heavy duty rims, they might not be ideal with such soft rims….

https://www.parktool.com/product/steel-core-tire-levers-tl-6-2?category=Tube%20%26%20Tire

ampthill

I read today that tyre fitting can be eased by putting zip tyres round the mounted part of the tyre to keep it in the central gutter

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bending rim sidewalls when fitting tyres – what am I doing wrong!!!!’ is closed to new replies.