Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BELA or Similar Leadership Courses.
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hey,

I have been looking into doing the BELA or possibly ML and have found it listed at different prices with nearly every training provider!

Has anyone completed the course or have recommendations on where I can complete it? Particularly helpful if you know of a good provider in North East England or Southern Scotland!

Cheers

Will

franksinatra

I'm in Southern Scotland, I am Summer ML and deliver BEL training(formerly know as BELA)but only to volunteer groups.

There is a big difference between BEL and ML with BEL being relatively easy and atainable to most people and ML taking a considerable amount more time, effort and skill. You need to be clear about the limitations of each, have a think about how you would use it before commiting to one (or both awards.)

I can't reconmend a particular provider but there will be plenty over in the Lakes which should be accessable to you. Failing that, always worth thinking about spending a bit more to go to one of the national centres, Glenmore Lodge or Plas y Brenin for top quality ML training.

Good luck!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've done the BEL, as franksinatra suggests it's really not difficult to pass and basically covers common sense. I've always wanted to go for the ML for my own sense of acheivement and learning but I've no practical need for it and the cost is huge so I've never bothered. I have used the BELA to teach D of E expeditions (bronze) but nothing further.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I've done WGL training (yet to do assessment) as I also do DofE supervsion/training. Paid for by LEA so not sure of cost. Did this instead of BEL as it's more in depth and suitable for training up to Gold DofE but not as expensive as ML. May be worth a look to see if suitable for you?

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Did my ML a few years back and loved it. Trained with Steve Spalding (High Expectations) near pitlochry and did my assessment at PYB. I highly recommend Steve he's a good bloke and will do both training and assessment at a fair price. In fact i'm off to do my Winter ML training with him next week. Can't wait!! Paid for it all myself though, not cheap.

duckman

As Muffin says; Steve S is the man.I am logging walks for my Summer ML just now and have to agree with all the above who state how hard it is compared to bel(a).Basic difference is that local authorities are loathe to sign off a walk,i.e Dook o embra, that goes above 600m without a ML being on the trip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BELA or Similar Leadership Courses.’ is closed to new replies.