Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 174 total)
  • Being put off by XX1
  • Northwind

Is the 11 speed stuff better made than the 9? I always liked my 9 speed SRAM but the pivots went baggy as soon as you took them out of the box. Weirdly it didn’t seem to matter that much- a Shimano mech with that much flap in it just doesn’t work at all. But it’s not ideal really.

igm

Can you use the 10-42 cassette from SRAM (with the tight free hub obviously) with Shimano’s new 11spd shifter and mech?
    Other combinations involving 10-sod mechs, OneUp rad cages etc are of interest too.

I don’t like SRAM thumb thumbs – just prefer Shimano finger thumbs.

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, the GS shifters feel more plasticky than the 9 speed ones did – I had to put a bit of Gorilla tape under the ‘cable cover’ to stop it rattling. Several people had problems with internals stripping too, SRAM blamed “dry shifting”.

No problem with slop in the mech personally, and jockeys have lasted better than 10 speed XX ones did too.

Can you use the 10-42 cassette from SRAM (with the tight free hub obviously) with Shimano’s new 11spd shifter and mech?

Still TBC as I’m aware, someone was toying with it on a thread. Wouldn’t surprise me if it worked, but wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t frankly!

plyphon
    Free Member

How much do you think you could see a complete SRAM X1 set up for if you bought a new bike and stripped it?

So,

Shifters,
    Cassette
    Mech
    Cranks
    Sproket
    Freehub body
    Anything I missed?

I’m thinking of buying a bike with an X1, stripping and selling it, and buying a cheapo deore/SLX set up to replace it.

honourablegeorge

njee20 – Member

I would prefer it was made by Shimano

Was about to post those exact words. That’s why XTR 11 speed was so disappointing when it came out – I thought it’d compete with XX1 on range, but it falls short at both ends (not to mention that hideous crank and the lack of narrow/wide)

Mbnut
    Free Member

What chain are you using that casts less than £20?

I have just taken delivery of a new to me bike with XX1 and I want to start out with new cables, chain etc.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

That’s why XTR 11 speed was so disappointing when it came out – I thought it’d compete with XX1 on range, but it falls short at both ends

Mmm, I don’t wholly disagree. I understand why they’ve done it, but it’s a bit of a shame.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have been changing my chain at .50 religiously and chains at 20 per pop

‘Kin ell! I’m only paying £1 more than that for chain AND cassette!

9 speed is where it’s at guys, and y’all know it!

honourablegeorge

njee20 – Member

Mmm, I don’t wholly disagree. I understand why they’ve done it, but it’s a bit of a shame.

Even if they’d gone to 42 at one end, you could have used the larger front ring – but there’s less range than XX1 at both ends.

Removed an olf Hone derailleur from a bike the other day – the Rapid Rise one that bolted directly onto the hub axle. Wonder if they’ll do an “Enduro specific” (maybe revive Hone) 1×11 group similar to Saint for DH? The figure that was quoted on here about SRAM selling 7x as many XXI groups as they expected – plus the increasing 1×11 OEM takeup – Shimano have to be thinking about it.

rooster42
    Free Member

My X01 will be going when the chain and cassette wear out, not impressed with the rear mech, Shimano XT better and cheaper. Big cog 42t wore out after 600 miles when I changed the chain, 1 x 10 xt with one-up range extender I had on previous bike worked just as well and was less fussy about setup. I can replace the whole lot including the xd driver freewheel for the cost of a new cassette 🙂

tomhoward

How much do you think you could see a complete SRAM X1 set up for if you bought a new bike and stripped it?

Around £350 plus the freehub which rather depends on your wheel. But that was before CRC massively reduced the price of new (OEM) ones. £450 new now iirc

Try it, I was skeptical before I got it, as I liked Shimano’s double shift, as well as the ability to drop into a granny gear quickly with 2×9. Now it’s on all my MTBs (2x XX1, 1x XO1, 1x X1) and I’m not entertaining the idea of going back to Shimano anytime soon, having only had them before. It really is very good.

Word for anyone looking at XO1 over X1, dont bother, shifting wise they feel identical, and hardly any weight penalty that you’d notice.

Has anyone got to the point of replacing a cassette and gone ‘bugger me, that’s expensive!’ then gone back to Nx10?

Has anyone owned and used it for a reasonable amount of time (more than just a demo) and thought ‘this is cack, I’m going back to shimano/10 speed’?

Not a huge amount I’d wager.

scruff
    Free Member

Donk, from the BR link-

And, in our opinion, it sets the stage for a non-XD style 11-speed mountain bike cassette for an X9 level group in the future…no reason why they couldn’t build it out to a 40 or 42 tooth max and have it fit a standard 10/11 speed compatible freehub body.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i will be running a XX1 cassette with XTR rear mech and shifter. Anyone want a brand new XTR Cassette?

mashiehood
    Free Member

XX1/XTR hybrid working together here

devash
    Free Member

Full SLX 2 X 10 drivetrain on Merlin for £150 over the weekend with their 10% off code. I’m sure SRAM 1 X 11 feels nice but so does XT / SLX for a fraction of the price.

njee20
    Free Member

XX1/XTR hybrid working together here

Happy days, Rick Draper’s active on BikeRadar if anyone has any questions!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Happy days indeed, the XTR cassette is a bit of a weighty beast in comparison to the XX1.

njee20
    Free Member

Quite, plus the narrower range, and the fact I’ve already got an XD body!

Virtually net neutral on weight going to XTR shifter/rear mech.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I must admit, im looking forward to having a bit more range from my XX 36 cassette.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I agree, if I bought a new bike that came with XX1, I’d flog the lot and go shimano.

+1

JCL
    Free Member

Obviously a lot of people haven’t ridden XO1/XX1.

njee20
    Free Member

No CRC stock until late January on XTR mechs, although Madison getting them next Monday. Hmmm…

mashiehood
    Free Member

I used a 15 off voucher recently to get a medium cage, they go quickly. I did think about waiting for Di2, but for 1×11 which i will be running there is no point

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure it rides great, but for a lot of us the sticking point is the silly price of the cassette and mech. And previous experience of Sram’s components not being as reliable or durable as Shimano.

If Shimano 11sp shifters and mechs work with it as teased above – then I might be swayed in a year or two once it all trickles down.

njee20
    Free Member

I used a 15 off voucher recently to get a medium cage, they go quickly. I did think about waiting for Di2, but for 1×11 which i will be running there is no point

I’ve not got a Di2 compatible frame, and it adds a chunk of weight for 1×11 as you still need the same battery and what not, and you only save half the weight of the shifters, if you know what I mean! Seems a shame not to use the front mech either, as it’s that that’s so nice to use! So yes, I agree!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Njee – thats why I think Di2 will have little or no appeal to those running 1×11. If only it was wireless…..

njee20
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m not bothered by the wires per se, but admittedly it looks far better on frames that are built with it in mind. I suspect I could drill holes with no ill effects, but I don’t really fancy doing it!

padkinson
    Free Member

Just a thought while we’re on the topic:

If money was no object (i.e. you’d get both free), XX1 or XTR Di2?

Northwind

JCL – Member

I have- X01 I think. I’d like the wider range but otherwise I prefer my Saint/XT 1×10. I mean, that’s not a big criticism, I think the current Saint’s the best shifter anyone’s ever made so it’s no big deal to be runner up

tomaso
    Free Member

I haven’t but I ride with a guy with it on his Canyon and he doesn’t get up the steepest climbs that others with 2×10 manage.

tomhoward

I haven’t but I ride with a guy with it on his Canyon and he doesn’t get up the steepest climbs that others with 2×10 manage.

Right.

JCL
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a crap how the shifter works. After 10 minutes I’m used to whatever. I’ve got a year old XO1 shifter and it feels as good as new.

The bottom line is XO1/XX1 shifts perfect, it’s lighter, doesn’t drop chains, doesn’t need a chain guide, allows better dropper lever position etc. Has anyone ever had a problem with it in a race? What happened to Nys at the start of the cross the other day? Or Absalon at that World Cup he was leading and got chainsuck and tore the hanger off.

Shimano might be better made but on the function side they’re miles behind.

Northwind

JCL – Member

The bottom line is XO1/XX1 shifts perfect, it’s lighter, doesn’t drop chains, doesn’t need a chain guide, allows better dropper lever position etc.

Yup. And on top of all of these things it shares with Shimano 1×10 (at a fraction of the price) it has one advantage, slightly wider range. Which is a big advantage but you seem to think all this other stuff is unique?

JCL
    Free Member

To get that range with Shimano you need a front mech, shifter cable, and another chainring.

That’s the point isn’t it?

mashiehood
    Free Member

Sorry, but you can have the best of either shimano or sram world, mix Xtr shifting with an xx1 cassette – simple.

tomaso
    Free Member

It is a wonderful example of mountain bike technological progress, but I can not afford to replace smashed mechs or worn out cassettes at £100+ each. £30 for a cassette or mech suits me.

And anyways in performance terms SLX flatters me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So depending on chain ring (based on 32) he is missing 1 gear either end from a 24/38 you miss out on the 24×36 and the 38×11 gears. If that is the difference then he could try a 30t. The range is stunning.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its not about the bike though eh, fitness plays a lot in cycling up steep hills

tomaso
    Free Member

I cheat a lot and run a 20/33 double chainset as I like whinching up mountains.

I really don’t doubt its the future but until it gets a lot cheaper I will remain a Luddite with 2×10

deanfbm
    Free Member

Just gone from saint shifter/zee mech/xt cassette to sram x1 shifter/X01 mech/x1 cassette, bike might have come fitted with a poor cable, but shifting hasn’t been as precise and as solid and the shimano, i’m happy to give it a proper go though, might be good when it settles in.

I bit the bullet and got a bike with 1×11 even though i didnt really want the running costs of 1×11, i’ll see how it goes. My chain is going to be kept a lot cleaner though.

I am impressed by the extra range, could happily drop the chainring down from 32 to 30 and not feel like im missing out top end. The easier gear i now have also came in handy on a group ride where others have granny rings.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Being put off by XX1’ is closed to new replies.