• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by juan.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Being focus, productive and not getting lost while at work. Any tips?
  • juan
    Free Member

Hi, as per title really. While at work it seems I have trouble being focus. A lot of time my mind just wanders. It hasn’t been a problem so far being an academic, but now in the real world, it’s very problematic. It has basically cost me my first contract, as my client wasn’t too happy about the few bits of code I have produced and the time I am spending on it. Mistakes happened mainly due to lack of focus, lack of double checking and not being 100% into it.
    So if anyone can help me with that I’ll very thanks-full.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Send me a cheque, I know everything you need to…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think you needed to be more focused while writing the thread title .

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Unless you’re a delivery driver.

In which case just buy a sat-nav.

leffeboy

Don’t just arrive at work and start writing. Spend time working out what you want to have done at the end of the day. Review where you are at lunchtime. Lack of focus is sometimes caused by lack of clear direction, especially when you are providing your own direction.

Easier to say than do though 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

if there is one thing STW knows F all about it is surely this
    yours slacker

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m a sufferer too. I spend hours speccing bikes rather than doing proper work that earns me the money to pay for the bike I just specced!

redthunder
    Free Member

Retire ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Speak for yourself Junky… I’m a highly motivated career orientated go-getter.

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re just not cut out for coding ?

anto164
    Free Member

Quit your job and do something you enjoy?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think as leffeboy says ( altho is not my world at all) – you need to plan out what you are going to do and break it down into small sections. Double checking each part as you complete it then another check when its complete before handing it over

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have no idea how you have gotten away with this amount of posting tbh and in the hard nosed real world of the private sector I salute your endeavours

CaptJon
    Free Member

as leffeboy said, plan and set goals for next hour(s), day(s), week(s). Put them on a wall planner or diary next to your screen.

cheez0
    Free Member

what you need to do is.. uhh.. ummm…

Junkyard
    Free Member

no he needs to procrastinate much much more than that whilst making his plan.

Procrastinate – this is what the P stands for iirc

Dark-Side

I have found a good nights sleep and no alcohol during the week works wonders for my focus. As above, I used to have real problems motivating myself to work but now I really have to (a child, wife and mortgage are great motivators!) the fallout of not putting in 100% would be rather severe. Try setting yourself mini goals, 90 minutes of non-stop work earns you 10 in Singletrack etc…

roady_tony
    Free Member

set yourself a goal for the morning – afternoon and end-of-day, match this goal with a treat – say chocolate, cake, latte etc.
    then set yourself a weekly target to complete the goals above, match this target with buying some new bike bits.

job done.

Rickos
    Free Member

I found the carrot approach never worked with me. I’d promise myself a cheeky mid-week ride if I got such and such done, but I never went on the ride as I never did the thing I was supposed to. So, one time I went for the ride anyway and got back to the office and did the work. Winner! A bit of a weird one, but maybe the feeling of guilt having ridden but not worked was what did it for me.

I went to an all boys Catholic boarding school, so that may explain the feeling of guilt bit! 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

no idea how you have gotten away with this amount of posting tbh

I’ve got a spreadsheet of 1000 ‘posts’. I just pick one from there and copy/paste.

This post was last used on the 5th March 2010.

druidh
    Free Member

How much do you get on the dole in France?
    How much do you earn when productive?
    Subtract one from the other.
    Imagine life without that amount of money.

Now – how “focussed” do you feel?

nicko74

leffeboy has the broader idea, I think.
    Personally I also find listening to good music (generally something fairly unintrusive, either light on lyrics, or more immersive) helps. It seems to stop that part of my brain that would wander from wandering so much.

Edukator
    Free Member

I suggest a career change. There must be something that motivates you that can be turned into a bread winner. Computing holds my personal record from starting a job to leaving. Two hours were all it took to know that particular temping mission was way above my tedium threshold. I returned to the agency and they sent me off to play with the computer the Mormans were running their financrs on, that mission I completed with a smile.

crikey
    Free Member

If I **** about at work people can die. That’s enough to keep me on the ball.

timber

Chainsaw at full throttle keeps me pretty alert.
    Singing along to the radio in the tractor I’m pretty oblivious, sorry if I clip your car/house/pushchair.

This was probably of no benefit to the OP.
    Do what you enjoy and it comes easy.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You need a bit discipline……….a bit of marching will sort you out sunshine.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Juan – ever thought about ADD? Look it up – if you recognize any of the symptoms it might be worth looking into more seriously

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus.

It’s quite simple really; stop fannying about and do the job that you are being paid to do.

That’s it.

It’s not about anything other than that, there are no clever answers or theories, just get the job done.

I suspect you’ll still be paid more than me for being a useless idle thing, so have some self respect and get on with it.

ourmaninthenorth

I have the fantastic combined personality traits of being highly competitive and
    A lazy arse..!

Consequently, I do naff all and am always p—ed off when others do better than me.

Fortunately, I tend to pull my finger out at the last minute and over deliver.

martinxyz
    Free Member

RamseyNeil.. if he wrote it all in french you would have probably found no mistakes. He doesnt live here!

Juan, i have been feeling like this for quite a while now. I get on better when working alone. Looking back, if i have no distractions i can think a few steps ahead and not have to go over the work ive done. Sometimes it might be three times over.This was brought home a few weeks ago when i swapped my frame over in the shed with hardly any tools.. yet i still managed to do it quicker than i would have probably done it at work as full concentration was on the bike build.

I cant say that distractions at work are the main and only problem, it could be ADD like 16stonepig has mentioned. Its now getting to the point where i think i would enjoy working for myself,alone,doing the job from start to finish with no interruptions as,like the bike build has shown, i get more done with less faff happening around me and next to zero faff running through my head.. to the point of it being mentally healthier.

juan
    Free Member

ok, thanks for all the usefull comments. I shall look into ADD.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Being focus, productive and not getting lost while at work. Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.