Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Beginners paddle board recommendations
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I rarely go on the sea on my paddleboard tbh.

The rivers where it’s at. (We live 5 minutes from the Dee)

To the point our second board is a dedicated river board. So much more fun than our all round on the river. Although it would be akin to having a dh bike to compliment your rigid commuter bike.

GeForceJunky

It occurred to me a couple of days ago, whilst battling the raging seas on a grand voyage (actually just trying to get 1km down lac Montriond into a headwind), just how hard work a SUP is into the wind. Does anybody have any good advice for going against a headwind? I found it harder to keep straight. It helped to kneel instead of stand.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Avoid strong winds especially if (I know your on the lake) on the sea

Paddle out into the wind and ride it back

If having difficulty kneel or sit or even lie down – get out the wind. You are the sail on your board.

But the best advice for wind is don’t go out in it. The chops up – if it’s blowing the wrong way getting to shore can be nigh on impossible. What feels like an onshore or cross wind can be an offshore wind blowing you out from the shore thanks to the different temps between land and sea- coupled with tidal movement could make it even harder.

Keep an eye on magic seaweed for wave and winds …..

All that said…. If you play it right. A high wind on your back after a period of no wind riding down a river or lake – can’t be beat you fly. Great YouTube video of the guys from sea to summit running the loch eil in 60 mph tail winds. Flying.

matt_outandabout

Does anybody have any good advice for going against a headwind?

I am not a SUP coach, only canoe and kayak.

This is the Achilles heel of such things. You can kneel or sit to reduce windage, lying I tried but it was too wide to get my arms in to swim-paddle. Off the back to kick and the bow was high in the wind.

Even a canoe or touring kayak can be hard into the wind.

A sea kayak would work best, loaded of course.

(The real answer is of course b+1, buy a kayak or canoe).

BigJohn

The primary rule of entering the water is the same as flying. Launching is optional; safe return is mandatory.

It’s better to be on the beach wishing you were out there than to be out there wishing you were on the beach.

Windsurfer of 38 years experience here. I’ve sometimes travelled hours to a spot and not launched because the conditions were wrong.

Twodogs

Windsurfer of 38 years experience here.

38? Pah…beginner 😂

BigJohn

Definitely not a beginner.

Some beginners are better than me.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM