Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)
  • Begining of the end for Park Run's ?
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Why should it benefit the council?

I assume by council, he meant ‘parishioners’.

zilog6128

In fact, I’m struggling to understand what mechanism would be used to stop a park run happening in a public place.

No idea either but I’d assume a fine or something. https://www.bristol.gov.uk/outdoor-event-site-permissions-licence

ransos
    Free Member

Nobody can deny they are being dicks Chris but they aren’t alone are they?
    Trash horfield, Ashton stadia development etc.
    on that is it your sept refusing to publish accts for the go green spending? We’re you aware of the mayor giving thousands of it to his daughters DANCE TROUPE?

I don’t know what forms of communication are usual in your suburban dormitory, but if you want to be understood elsewhere (Bristol, for example), I suggest you re-write that in English.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’re you aware of the mayor giving thousands of it to his daughters DANCE TROUPE?

Source? Or do you mean the money given to ‘Playing Out’ the charity encouraging the use of public spaces for public events for which she is a volunteer director?

mrhoppy

Flaperon – Member
    He spent some time talking about benefit in kind of having many runners in the park without ever really explaining what the benefit is to the council.
    Why should it benefit the council?

Because the benefit in kind was in lieu of payment. It was slightly galling hearing from a paid COO that his company (not for profit admittedly) should get free access to council facilities when local clubs get charged for the same arrangement.

I’ve not heard any reason why park run should be treated differently to other local clubs using council facilities for an event.

Coyote
    Free Member

Or do you mean the money given to ‘Playing Out’ the charity encouraging the use of public spaces for public events for which she is a volunteer director?

Oh the ironing!!!

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve not heard any reason why park run should be treated differently to other local clubs using council facilities for an event.

It’s not a club, and it’s difficult to see what cost there is to the council. It’s not really the same as having to maintain a football pitch or a bowling green…

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Parkrun say they shouldn’t pay as they’re not asking for exclusive use whereas a football team needs exclusive use.

nickjb
    Free Member

Oh the ironing!!!

Care to elaborate? Bristol City Council and it’s Mayor are for this sort of thing. A parish council in South Gloucestershire are not.

ransos
    Free Member

Parkrun say they shouldn’t pay as they’re not asking for exclusive use whereas a football team needs exclusive use.

If the council had been even slightly smart, they’d have asked for a donation, and sent a councillor to the events with a bucket. Even better, set up a kiosk selling tea & coffee.

ransos
    Free Member

Care to elaborate? Bristol City Council and it’s Mayor are for this sort of thing. A parish council in South Gloucestershire are not.

I think the irony is that Wrecker is complaining about someone who actively encourages the free use of public space…

wwaswas

set up a kiosk selling tea & coffee.

Wouldn’t they have had to pay a licence fee for that, though?

outofbreath
    Free Member

If the council had been even slightly smart, they’d have asked for a donation, and sent a councillor to the events with a bucket. Even better, set up a kiosk selling tea & coffee.

Or completely fill in a grant form so all park run had to do was sign it so the funding came from the state…

Which they did and the park run bloke wouldn’t sign it.

ransos
    Free Member

And rightly so. As I said, best to stick to voluntary donations rather than an expectation of payment.

verses

Or completely fill in a grant form so all park run had to do was sign it so the funding came from the state…

So parkrun have to pay for legal advice to confirm what they’re signing up to… Which in turn sets up a precedent where all authorities will want them to do the same (more legal costs).

verses

From one of the links on the other page where PR replied to the Parish council’s points;

parkrun cannot pay for park use and therefore will not apply for grant funding for that purpose, or allow the Council or anyone else to make an application on its behalf.

The Parish Council insisted for several months that they could not apply for grants but this turned out to be entirely false.

Subsequent discussion with South Gloucestershire Council confirmed that in reality there is no source of grant funding that will support routine park maintenance, whoever applies.

parkrun has suggested ways in which its success could be harnessed to develop a potentially fundable ‘project’ to establish Little Stoke Park as a hub for wider community-led physical activity (possibilities include outdoor circuit training equipment; volunteer opportunities in association with the youth club and local schools; exploiting synergies with recreational running groups, Nordic walkers, seniors groups, mums groups, etc). We would happily assist the Council in making grant applications of this kind with supporting evidence from parkrun. Sadly these positive suggestions were dismissed out of hand by the Council chair.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Subsequent discussion with South Gloucestershire Council confirmed that in reality there is no source of grant funding that will support routine park maintenance, whoever applies.

Wiesel words. Yes, you can’t get funding for routing maintenance, but you can get funding for infrastructure. Better paths, harder wearing car park surfacing.

At least one of these has been done.

verses

Even if that’s the case, I’d still say it’s the owner of the park’s responsibility to apply for such things, and not the users.

Harry_the_Spider

From my own experience of staging events in parks… the perfect park in the eyes of a resource strapped council is one where nobody goes.

The Parish Council don’t want them there, so jog on.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Even if that’s the case, I’d still say it’s the owner of the park’s responsibility to apply for such things, and not the users.

I thought so too but obviously not or it wouldn’t have come up, and Parkrun would have said so.

I’m not slagging of Parkrun here. Parkrun is great, I love it.

I just think we have to accept that not every Park in the country wants one, and a Parish is obviously going to creak a bit under the strain of supporting a big event twice a week.

verses

I just think we have to accept that not every Park in the country wants one, and a Parish is obviously going to creak a bit under the strain of supporting a big event twice a week.

Indeed, and it baffles me as to why it’s made the news. Surely it’s not the first venue to decide it can’t cope with or doesn’t want parkrun to take place.

ransos
    Free Member

Indeed, and it baffles me as to why it’s made the news

Parkrun is global and this is the only instance of a council wanting to charge…

chakaping
    Free Member

so jog on.

Very good.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think the irony is that Wrecker is complaining about someone who actively encourages the free use of public space…

I think the irony is that there are some poor misguided souls that believe the mayors hype that he’s some kind of socially responsible enlightened individual. He is in fact a rampant capitalist and member of the merchant venturers (only suspended during his term as mayor) whose old boys network has benefitted hugely during his term. Looked at the docks sale?
    No doubt that SG parish are “tinpot” but better than than common thieves.

https://thebristolcable.org/2014/12/green-capital-massive-500000-conflict-of-interest/
    https://thebristolcable.org/2016/01/green-capital-finances-cant-take-scrutiny/
    https://thebristolcable.org/2016/04/bristol-ports-privatisation/

Anyone who supports this individual are in no position whatsoever to point any fingers at anyone for their behaviour.

Harry_the_Spider

so jog on.

Very good.

I’m here all week.

MrAgreeable

For anyone who thinks Bristol is some sort of promised land for events in parks, remember a couple of years back when they started asking the organisers of the local CX races to supply a £2,500 damage deposit?

http://road.cc/content/news/70533-bristol-crossgate-council-responds

The result being that my local cyclocross race series seems to have largely relocated to a motocross track in Bridgwater. 👿

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s getting the Jeremy Kyle Vine treatment on R2 now

ransos
    Free Member

I think the irony is that there are some poor misguided souls that believe the mayors hype that he’s some kind of socially responsible enlightened individual.

I’m not at all sure why you’re bothered: he’s the mayor of Bristol, not Stoke Gifford.

egb81
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

I think the irony is that there are some poor misguided souls that believe the mayors hype that he’s some kind of socially responsible enlightened individual. He is in fact a rampant capitalist and member of the merchant venturers (only suspended during his term as mayor) whose old boys network has benefitted hugely during his term. Looked at the docks sale?

https://thebristolcable.org/2014/12/green-capital-massive-500000-conflict-of-interest/
    wrecker – Member

https://thebristolcable.org/2016/04/bristol-ports-privatisation/

Anyone who supports this individual are in no position whatsoever to point any fingers at anyone for their behaviour. /2016/04/bristol-ports-privatisation/

Anyone who supports this individual are in no position whatsoever to point any fingers at anyone for their behaviour.

The Mayor of Bristol, not South Glos.

craigxxl
    Free Member

It’s getting the Jeremy Kyle Vine treatment on R2 now

Ernie from Stoke Gifford council is sounded very stupid for the reason he puts forward trying to make sound like anything other than a money grab.

If Park Run did pay for the use of the park could they then demand that paths were made suitable for runners i.e. that rubbery material you get at running tracks.
    I also assume that any runners who fell on the paths wouldn’t hesitate to put a claim into the council for injuries if they had to pay to run there.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Surely it’s not the first venue to decide it can’t cope with or doesn’t want parkrun to take place.

Yup, our Parkrun has moved three times, and this PC have enthusiastically supported the PR for three years. They’ve certainly given it a fair trial.

outofbreath
    Free Member

If Park Run did pay for the use of the park could they then demand that paths were made suitable for runners i.e. that rubbery material you get at running tracks.

I suspect if they’d applied for a grant, as suggested, that’s exactly what they could have requested and exactly the kind of infrastructure these grants are designed to provide.

mikey74
    Free Member

They could demand it, they wouldn’t get it though.

verses

Ours changes venue over the winter from a grass-surfaced park to one with hardened paths to preserve the ground. The one with hardened paths is busier and we do get some grumbles about being there.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Mayor of Bristol, not South Glos.

The millionaire mayor of bristol.

StuF

there are a few parkruns near me, the nearest changed it’s route over the winter as one section wasn’t holding up under the rain, the rest of the path is hardpack or tarmac.

another closed completely due to path damage and relocated to another park, this new park does charge for parking and I guess this would go towards the upkeep of the park and paths within it, but that applies to everyone who parks their car there not just at 9am on a Saturday.

mrhoppy

Oh good grief, enough of whether it’s in Bristol and whether the mayor’s corrupt. It’s like a shiney turd competition, even if you win it’s a competition between arseholes pumping out shit that no one else wants to see.

ransos
    Free Member

The millionaire mayor of bristol.

Who you can’t vote to get rid of. Remind us why that is?

ransos
    Free Member

another closed completely due to path damage and relocated to another park, this new park does charge for parking and I guess this would go towards the upkeep of the park and paths within it, but that applies to everyone who parks their car there not just at 9am on a Saturday.

Ashton Court (run by Bristol City Council) charges for parking, seems fair enough to me. Parkrun use it regularly and I’ve never heard any complaints.

wrecker
    Free Member

Who you can’t vote to get rid of. Remind us why that is?

Because, happily, he’s only responsible for the inner city area.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Begining of the end for Park Run's ?’ is closed to new replies.