Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Begining of the end for Park Run's ?
  • mefty
    Free Member

I saw Wrecker and Ransos in an advert once = ah here it is.

Edric64
    Free Member

No one admitting to living in Patchway though ?,it`s really grim there !!

ransos
    Free Member

Because the pound shops of east street look so much different to those of knowle west don’t they?

I do love how you look down on the city you’re so desperate to be a part of.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wooooo GOT THE JOB!
    Turns out uneducated ex-squaddies can do OK if they try.
    CTW scheme here I come!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Wooooo GOT THE JOB!

What’s the job? Mayor of not Bristol?

wrecker
    Free Member

Mayor of Bristol?

Tainted position, no ta.

ransos
    Free Member

CTW scheme here I come!

Should keep you fit, given how far you live from the city.

wrecker
    Free Member

A whole mile and a bit further than Darcy!

ransos
    Free Member

A whole mile and a bit further than Darcy!

Takes me less than 20 minutes to get from Hartcliffe to the centre. Reckon you can do it that quick from your provincial backwater?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right…before this goes any further…I don’t live in ‘Arfcliffe.

(Apologies if I didn’t word it obviously enough to be a joke.)

wrecker
    Free Member

I reckon I could you know, perhaps when a bit fitter. There is a very civilised thing called the cycletrack, bristolians know about it. Doesn’t take too long to get to bath either (it goes all the way there too).
    Actually, looking at the map, I reckon 30 mins id=s more realistic for me.
    Any recs on commuter kit?

martinhutch

Quick thread resurrection for a random Parkrun question?

My lass (13-year-old) went to our local one for the first time this week, which I think is a great idea to get her a bit fitter after illness stopped her exercising properly for the last couple of years.

My understanding is that it’s an informal, friendly family-orientated affair.

However, she came back quite upset because she got shouted at to get out of the way by some overtaking bloke on a narrow section of path, and even got nudged sideways by another coming steaming through. She’s not the type to block the whole path…

Seems a shame and more than a bit dickish to me, but should it be expected at any kind of running event, even a ‘family friendly’ one? And apart from running with her (which I do not want to do, as I hate running), how would you go about dealing with it if it happens again?

I told her to yell ‘elite athlete coming through!’ in her most mocking tone of voice next time. This may not be the correct advice… 😀

moonsaballoon

I have never had a problem at my local parkrun , its all pretty friendly and laid back , but some people im sure will take it to seriously and act like prats . Would be a shame to miss out on something just because a couple of idiots cant conduct themselves properly , maybe a cheeky ankle tap as they go past 😀

bigdaddy

Which parkrun was that? As a veteran of 175 parkruns I’ve never seen that behaviour- the whole point is that it’s a family event open to everyone, and not a race. I’d be having a word with the run director, and also querying why the course gets that narrow. It’s not a race and therefore pushing past people, particularly youngsters is not acceptable!

surfer
    Free Member

They are races for people who are often too scared to do proper races. Inevitably you get people at the sharp end who think they are proper runners. Shame she got shouted at and I expect she was being lapped hence the leaders where caught up in their macho struggle.
    To be fair I would be very surprised if there was any real aggression so she just needs to be aware at bottlenecks to stay to one side. Not unusual to get a bit of jostling but it shouldnt put her off.

martinhutch

Which parkrun was that?

Skipton. Aireville Park. It’s mostly open field but takes a narrower path for a short stretch of the lap. There’s nowhere to step off the side easily without stopping completely, but there should be enough room for people to pass courteously.

Thankfully it’s not put her off, but I’ve never taken part in one and I didn’t know if that kind of behaviour from adult runners was to be expected.

surfer
    Free Member

Winner 18:33. Not much to be shouting about!

martinhutch

All the crappy kids getting in the way, I expect. It isn’t exactly a flat course though.

This is the section involved. Not that narrow but slightly raised so hard to step off leftwards

craigxxl
    Free Member

Echoing what the others have already said its not sme thing I’ve experienced and regularly lapped by other runners. If you’re going to get overtaken in a narrow section the faster runner will normally call out to warn you but not as a shift I’m bet than you thing.
    There is sometimes contact but it is usually from being unaware of another runner passing or moving to the same direction. Hell I still make accidental contact when running with my wife.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Martin, that is wider than our local Parkrun. I would edge my bets that your daughter has naturally moved from left to right as the bend comes up to make a shorter route unaware of people coming up behind. A few more runs and she will be more aware of other runners.

martinhutch

I’ll tell her to keep left, but I’ll be waiting next to that bin with a pair of Bombers for next week then. Accidental contact only, of course. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

It isn’t exactly a flat course though

Its as flat as they come and all on tarmac so likely one of the faster course. Many have a lot of grass and the one near me is 90% grass/mud

martinhutch

Skipton Parkrun not a crucible of performance athletics then? How disappointing.

surfer
    Free Member

Fine for fun runs though

bensales
    Free Member

As others have said, drop a line to the run director. They’ll politely remind people at the next run briefing about overtaking etiquette. It happens quite a lot at my local (Brueton) as it’s a two lap course. Some of the front runners can get a bit keen, and equally some at the back can get a bit careless, it’s especially tricky in one part where there is two-way flow coupled with the usual dogs walking people on extendable leads. Worst bit is even regular runners seem to have no concept of starting in the right group for their time, leading to very slow people going off at the front and faster peeps at the back. I can never understand this. If you always run 25 minutes, and there’s a 25 minute pen set up by the organisers, why start in the 15-17 minute pen? Mental. But that’s what you get with a really popular one like Brueton with 400 odd runners.

Oh, and if it’s not a front runner or a multi-lap course, tell your daughter to get her elbows out 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Struggling to post a URL from iOS but sadly, the volunteers that have been running the Little Stoke parkrun have decided to call it a day. 😐

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/littlestoke/news/2016/06/02/closure-of-little-stoke-parkrun/

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Begining of the end for Park Run's ?’ is closed to new replies.