• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • been at it again diy lights
  • thwang-01
    Free Member

hi all
    i havnt built a light since last year even though i bought a load of supply parts leds optics etc. all mt previes lights have been built using p4,s or p7,s.this light is a upgrade for a mate at work 2 x xlamp 7090 xp? dx .8amp driver folded and welded body as i havnt acess to a mill at the momment.cant beleive how far they punch compaired to the p4,s i think i,ll only use cree,s from now on.
    si

im hoping to have some bodys milled once ive finished this so the machine shop can quote a price it will be out of one peice of ally block

I've been at it as well…..

Click to enlarge. 7 XPGs in a spare Lumicycle halogen can.

Battery pack is 8 Nokia mobile phone batteries from 7dayshop. The LEDs are run at below max power such that the can runs comfortably warm. About 1000 Lumens.

Just needs some sealant around the top of the battery pack and its all done.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Nice work there! Thinking about giving the DX P7 a bit extra punch.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I'm thinking about making my own lights (for something to do more than owt) and I've got a few questions – roughly how much would it cost ?
    what tools do you need ?
    any major do's and don't's ?

how much would it cost ?
    what tools do you need ?
    any major do's and don't's ?

Depends on your level of expertise. If you think its simply a case of wiring a battery to an LED, it will end in tears. Go to THESE PEOPLE for ideas.

Sonor
    Free Member

Lots of info here.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I've also been at it, pics to come. Triple Xp-G in a tiny housing.

Out of interest where do people buy the LED's and lenses from? I've mostly been using led-tech in germany but wondered if there's some good UK suppliers?

stumpy01

Out of interest where do people buy the LED's and lenses from? I've mostly been using led-tech in germany but wondered if there's some good UK suppliers?

If you Google Cutter Electronics you should find the place most people from here get them from.

I'm just in the middle of run time testing a Lumi led conversion. Currently up to nearly 6hrs for two cans on high power, each with 3 xpg (i think) leds. well pleased so far!

thwang-01
    Free Member

these were some of my first lights
    3xssp4 running@ .7 amps each about 800lumens

ssp7 running @2.8amps about 900lumens 6.6 amp battery

if you saw the lathe i made my lights on you would fall over laughing
    thwang

IA

if you saw the lathe i made my lights on you would fall over laughing

Go on, post pics!

trout
    Free Member

Funny it must be the season for messing about in sheds
    as I have been at it too .

thwang-01
    Free Member

lol what you making now you mad mill man???

thwang-01
    Free Member

here you go now stop laughing

thwang

nonk
    Free Member

thats bloody ace thwang i would love on of those.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘been at it again diy lights’ is closed to new replies.