Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BB cups with longer threads other than RaceFace?
  • I found my right hand BB cup sitting at an angle the other day.
    It looks like it had come loose somehow and damaged the thread.
    I took it out and swapped the spacers over, putting two on the left and only one on the right, to get it to screw in further to catch some good thread. Luckily it’s an EBB, so I was able to slide the EBB over a bit to compensate.
    It’s come loose again though.
    I know RaceFace do a DH BB with longer threads, but their bearings have never lasted me long when I have used them.
    I know I could just put some decent bearings in the RaceFace cups, assuming they are the same OD, but if there’s a deep BB with good bearings available, I’d buy that.

Any suggestions?

letmetalktomark

Raceface cups and decent/enduro/aftermarket bearings would be my preference or perhaps a new ebb?

andyrm
    Free Member

Pretty sure Saint BB has much longer cups to allow for BB mounted chain devices etc 🙂

Northwind

Yah, Saint driveside is longer and seems basically the same as XT inside.

singlespeedstu

Just buy a new EBB unit.

schmiken

Saint.

Thanks for the replies.
    As it’s the right hand one that came loose, the saint one would do the job, I can get away with standard length on the left hand side.
    It’s cheap enough to treat as a disposable item too, which will save me having to fit new bearings in the old cups.

I don’t want to buy a new EBB, Stu, as they are around £100 and there’s no guarantee it won’t happen again.
    I fit my cups with a proper full engagement socket, not just an open end spanner type tool, and do them up tight.
    I also use aluminium spacers, not plastic, to try to eliminate any movement between cup and EBB.
    I think it’s a design fault, making the BB shell narrower than it needs to be and using spacers.

singlespeedstu

What EBB is it?

njee20
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know how you do it Graham!

Saint for my money.

Bushnell, with the two opposite expanding wedges.

singlespeedstu

I think I have a spare one if you get stuck.

Though **** knows how you’ve damaged the threads in it that bad.
    It must have been creaking like a bastard.

scruff
    Free Member

I think it’s a design fault, making the BB shell narrower than it needs to be and using spacers

Sounds to me as though you should be working for Shimano. You obviously know about correct installation as you do them up tight with aluminium spacers and they still come lose, obvious design fault.

hazza123
    Free Member

As a few people mentioned i’d suggest saint too, the bearings on them last ages!, i’m still running a saint bb cup on the driveside from a year or 2 ago.

No creaking at all. I just happened to look at it and noticed it was sitting at an angle, as if it had been cross threaded, which it certainly wasn’t when I put it in.
    When I took the belt off, the crank was stiff to turn as the bearing itself was jammed out of line.
    I was using Truvativ cranks, if that makes a difference. The type with the stepped down diameter that locates on the left hand bearing, leaving the shaft floating on the right hand bearing.
    I’ve put some better second hand cups I had in for now and it held up yesterday. I’ll get some deeper cups though, for long term reliability.

akira

You can’t use saint bb with truvativ cranks, or race face bb for that matter.

akira

I didn’t say Hope 😉

I’m confused.
    I went for the Race Face over the Shimano because I thought it would be best to have longer threads on both sides.
    I bought the Race Face XC BB because it has “35% more thread engagement”, but it looks exactly the same as any other cup to me.
    Strangely, the Race Face DH BB on CRC makes no mention of thread length, but they look short as well.

There is a longer thread Race Face DH BB, but it’s out of stock at SJS, UK Bike Store and RCZ

The Saint BB on CRC looks like a longer thread on the right, yet on Halfords and Wiggle, it looks short.

It looks might have to actually visit an LBS so I can see what I’m getting before I buy it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BB cups with longer threads other than RaceFace?’ is closed to new replies.