• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by igm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Barbed wire across cycle route 67 (east Leeds-ish)
  • igm

National cycle route 67, the Trans-Pennine trail, has barbed wire across it as it leaves the A642 eastbound down the side of the canal between Woodlesford and Swillington.

Probably council stupidity rather than deliberate but the gap for bikes beside the new gate has a single strand of barbed wire just above handlebar height.

Didn’t remove it as we didn’t have the tools. My riding partner took photos which will be going into the council.

Here

project
    Free Member

report it to

You can contact the Trans Pennine Trail office in a number of ways:

By post: Trans Pennine Trail Office,
    c/o Neighbourhood Services,
    PO Box 605,
    BARNSLEY,
    S70 9FF

By telephone: 01226 772574

By fax: 01226 772599

By email: info@transpenninetrail.org.uk

igm

They’ll be getting photos then.

igm
    ton

Iain, is this at the side of the bridge, where the canal is blocked off. where people have been parking?

project
    Free Member

As a volunteer ranger for the TPT, different area, i have reported it and sent the link above.

ads678

If this is the section between woodlesford lock and the A642, left hand side of the canal if you’re looking toward the road. It’s blocked off because there was major flooding a few years and the tow path is knackered. it’s been like that for about 5 years.
    The tow path is open on the other side though, and it’s gnarlier!!

ads678

On second thoughts, i don’t think you’re talking about that bit.

Do you mean if you were going from swillington to woodlesford, go over the river bridge then turn off left to go down the bridleway towards the canal?

I live in Woodlesford so give me an exact location and i’ll go and remove the barbed wire tonight.

igm

Ads678 – you are correct with the later post. I’ve stuck a location tag on the photo so if you look at it on Flickr it should give you a fairly precise location.

Ton – I suspect that is the case but I only ever see it in the dark in the winter around 8pm when there are no cars about. Summer rides take a more interesting route.

Project – thanks. We’ve also sent the photos in along with a very polite letter.

project
    Free Member

Just had a responce from the very helpful and efficent staff at the TPT office, the wire will be removed by tonight .

Now thats a good responce.

Speshpaul

Accepting that its probably Not there as a trap to harm someone, i wonder what the thought process was of the person who put that there was?
    “one strand of barbed wire across a cycle route, perfectanother job well done, whats the worst that could happen?”

igm

Project – result. Thanks

robhenry85
    Free Member

i went past on the other side of the canal last night, i nearly crossed at that bridge and i was enjoying moon light at that time (light off) so might not of seen it.

good news on getting it taken down tho

project
    Free Member

Theres a another cycle trap, at Dunkirk, just outside chester,by the cash and carry,on route 56, large vehicle gate, usually open, but the side opening which is at 90degrees to it has a steel tube about 6 inches off the floor and is about 4 inch diameter steel tube, the point of it is not known, despite reporting it, nothing is done, as nobody seems to have ownership of it.

igm

I was there again tonight – no wire.

Thanks Sustrans, TPT, Project.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Barbed wire across cycle route 67 (east Leeds-ish)’ is closed to new replies.