Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bar ends on carbon (flat!) bars
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m getting some flat carbon bars. On Easton’s site, they recommend that you can use bar ends but only ones with a slot cut straight in line with the radius of the bars. details here

So I was having a look at bar ends. Ritchey is one of the brands that Easton say are no good since they have an angled slot but I found this on the details for Ritchey ones:

Angled clamp slot reduces stress on lightweight bars

which is totally the opposite of what Easton say. Now, I guess I’d trust Easton to know their product and maybe ‘lightweight bars’ from Ritchey doesn’t refer to carbon.

Thoughts?

sofatester
    Free Member

Will you ever be 100% confident whatever we tell you? If not buy something else!

druidh
    Free Member

As an option, what about some ODI-compatible lock-on grips and the Cane Creek Ergo bar-ends which clamp onto the grips? That way, all the clamping force is at the “controls” area which is supposed to be reinforced.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL. Well like I said, I’d trust Easton but I do wonder why so many brands do have angled clamp slots now…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just used raceface carbon bars with their alloy BERPS and fitted mine that way

MrAgreeable

I would speculate that it’s easier to tighten up the clamp evenly, and thereby avoid crushing the bars, if the bolts are in line with each other?

My top tip is to get some clip-on tri bars instead. It’ll stress the bars less, I’m guessing you’re better at along and down than up (tell me if I’m being cheeky), and you’ll stand out from the crowd in a Tomac stylee. 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

Three clamps on one piece of carbon? Hope you didn’t plan on a long modelling career?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

druidh – the Ergo bar ends clamp onto the bar, not just the grip. They just do away with the lockring on the outer edge of the grip. So you’ve got the same issues.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The alternative is maybe crazy, but how about sacrificing 5 grammes ann just getting alloy ones and not having the worry?

clubber
    Free Member

The alternative is maybe crazy, but how about sacrificing 5 grammes ann just getting alloy ones and not having the worry?

I cracked my last set of alu bars at the ends too (admittedly with some retro internal expander bar ends but…). I’ve also seen plenty of crimped alu bars so… 🙄

jojoA1
    Free Member

My control Tech Scandium bars were lighter than all the carbon bars at the same price point, so I avoided the issue. 🙂

sq225917
    Free Member

I’ve got EC90’s on my xc bike, with Smica bar ends, they have the ‘right’ clamp type, the bars still cracked. Unless you use inserts, they will always crack.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Clubber, you need metal bar end inserts, Spesh do them as do a couple of other firms.

They came standard with my Truvative carbon flat bar.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d trust 120g carbon bars far more than 120g alu bars.

Tbh I dunno what the problem is. How hard are you people heaving on the bar ends?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

How hard are you people heaving on the bar ends?

The way only clubber, the bike breaker, can 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed…

Actually that’s one of the reasons I prefer carbon – I’m much more confident in good carbon bars that light aluminium ones.

halington
    Free Member

EC70s have a reinforced end which is fine for the smica bar ends. EC90s don’t and might crack.

onandon
    Free Member

As mentioned EC70’s are ok with bar end’s but EC90’s arent.
    having said that ive been running Some EC90’s with Ergons for the past 1500 (or so)miles without issues.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bar ends on carbon (flat!) bars’ is closed to new replies.