• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by chaos.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bar bag help
  • duncancallum

Right I’ve a new gravel bike and the bars are narrower than the bars on the old one.

I’m not swapping them as I like them and they’re internally routed and I’m damned if I’m gonna touch them

I’ve got a Planet x Podsac bar bag that’s double ended and with my sleeping bag in its now a bit to wide.

So I’d love a bag that’s only single ended. I know I could just use a dry bag but I want a bag that’s not tied to the frame.

I did think about 2x of those bar extensions to act as a cradle and push it off the handle bars…

Anyone got any ideas or DIY solutions?

tthew

Could you not just get a slightly larger diameter dry bag so the sleeping bag would squash down into a shorter cylinder?

It’ll still go in the podsac cradle, you’ll just loose the velcro strip.  I Don’t think that would be a huge problem. If it is you could always get couple of strips of that self adhesive velcro as a replacement.

Harry_the_Spider

Read that as Baw Bag Help.

Move along…

duncancallum

I’ve no cradle, I think I’ve found what I wanted…

I do need to swap the bag to get the width down but I was trying also keep it off the frame.

https://road.cc/content/review/aeroe-spider-cradle-handlebar-and-fork-284949

This looks ideal…

Getting sucked into a rabbit hole of new kit is dangerous.

Keep looking at new sleeping bags too… must stop

tthew

I’ve no cradle

I was obviously thinking of the wrong thing.

I like your solution,  reckon it would work well on an MTB too which really need some bar bag standoff because of the cables and hoses.

damascus
    Free Member

There should be something here

Bikepacking Bags

Its dual opening but just 13L

Airlok Dual 13L

duncancallum

@qwerty

Yeah the aereo is very similar but cheaper…

duncancallum

url=https://postimg.cc/vx1Rcp6z][/url]

Been thinking so bought 2 of these amazon bar extensions

And boom.

Allows a bog standard drybag to be used. Keeps it off the frame and off the bars. So hopefully it’s sturdy enough. Excuse the one strap was just fitting it up to prove my concept

kayak23

Am I missing the reason why you can’t simply add another roll to the bag enclosure until it’s narrow enough?
    Or do you need a bigger diameter?

duncancallum

@kayak23

It needs more girth but the bigger issue was it was sat on the bars and the head tube.

This way nothing is rubbing or in the way

chaos

Was going to suggest the restrap bumper bar or one of the thorn steerer tube mounted accessory things from SJS Cycles for a neater solution but looks like you’ve achieved a similar result.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.