Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bankruptcy – UK & Oz question…
  • psychle
    Free Member

If one was to rack up silly amounts of debt here in the UK and then declare bankruptcy, would this affect said person if they went back to Australia, ie. would one's credit rating etc in Oz be affected by bankruptcy in the UK?

Not that I'm considering it, honestly, just curious really!

konabunny
    Free Member

no and yes: no because credit rating doesn't transfer; yes because you are (usually) asked if you've ever declared bankrupt and lying isn't great. you would also need to check out bankruptcy law and australian immigration law, both of which have been much tightened in recent times. also, despite a lot of flannel you read online, UK debts can be enforced in Australia (although if you've actually been discharged, that's not too much of a problem, I suppose).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just stop buying stupid bikes.

br
    Free Member

Also depends on your nationality I guess?

psychle
    Free Member

dual-passport holder… UK & British.

Just stop buying stupid bikes.

perhaps, but where's the fun in that?… As I've said, this is just a 'thought exercise', not actually going to do it! I do have some ethics… 🙄

flyingfox
    Free Member

I think I'm UK and British too. Cool. I know a few people who have escaped to Australia because of lack of ethics and pure laziness. Seems a bit extreme. Sometimes one should step into the searchlight instead of escaping to a prison colony.

br
    Free Member

Eh – a bit like my British and Yorkshire ones?

konabunny
    Free Member

Also depends on your nationality I guess?

Why?

psychle
    Free Member

Whoops… UK & Australian 😆

I know a few people who have escaped to Australia because of lack of ethics and pure laziness. Seems a bit extreme. Sometimes one should step into the searchlight instead of escaping to a prison colony.

In my case I'd be returning to the penal colony…

flyingfox
    Free Member

Loving your work! I'm sure you're not like the ones I'm aware of. Sorry to dare presume you are! Good luck whatever you decide.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bankruptcy – UK & Oz question…’ is closed to new replies.