• This topic has 80 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by si77.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Bangernomics what ye got?
  • Premier Icon twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just picked up a local Suzuki Ignis for £300 FSH 85k quarter tank of juice fully comp ins £89. Proper chuffed.

Premier Icon Earl
    Free Member

Wow. Good work!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Fair play in current market.

I *think* our 1.4 16v Ibiza estate just about qualifies – 10yrs/110k, bought 7 years and 80k ago for £7k. Maybe it’s worth £1500-2000, it would have been half that pre covid.
    Two kids have learned on it, 3rd just started. Regularly has bikes on roof, occasionally an open canoe. It isn’t given a gentle life.

I have just cruised back across Scotland from a weekend away at 70mph/45mpg.

It properly owes us nothing.

Apparently the most valuable thing on it is the World Enduro Series competitor car parking sticker…!

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you having the spirit of the previous owner exorcised ?

Premier Icon Kryton57

2008 Kuga zetec with Haldex 4wd diesel. Been through two kids puke, soiled nappies and biscuits mashed into the seats, a new gearbox and recently at £86k of school / nursery / centerparcs runs has had the timing belt changed. Can’t go to the outlaws in it as we cross the ULEX zone and it’d cost is £12:50 per occasion.

Keeps on keeping on despite showing the many scrapes of London supermarket car parking.

Premier Icon montgomery

06 Honda Jazz bought three years ago for £900. Not sure what the current mileage is because the odometer stopped working 18 months ago. Driving north to my sister’s last weekend the exhaust snapped off just forward of the muffler, drooping onto the ground – so I took it off, put it in the back of the car and carried on for 170 miles….now welded back in place for £30. It just needs to last another month….

Premier Icon gingerbllr
    Free Member

2005 Renault modus in gold. £475, 66k, mine since early 2020. Looks like the popemobile, drives like the popemobile with a shagged clutch. Absolutely terrible in every regard. I love it. Bangernomics is ace.

Premier Icon feed

2006 Ford Focus, bought new in 2006, 110k kms on the clock, gets no love, gives no problems. Worth significantly less than any of my bikes which is (as far as I’m concerned) the way things should be 🙂

Premier Icon StuF

Not sure if this counts. Ford galaxy bought for 8k in about 2014, several kids, tip runs, muddy bikes, wet windsurfing kit and a stone wall and it’s still going strong with 166k on the clock

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

2005 Berlingo, bought for £625 at the height of the Covid “let’s build a microcamper or work as a delivery driver for Amazon” boom.

So you can imagine quite how rubbish it is.

Currently sat on the driveway as the pedalbox* has cracked. Not in any hurry to fix it as for the last couple of years I’ve made a concsious effort to go as car free as reasonably practical so it’s used maybe 3 tanks since March.

*for want of a better description.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

2004 Volvo V70 with 200k miles that we’ve owned for 10+ years.
    2005 Peugeot Partner (Berlingo) with 90k miles.

I spanner my own cars and maintain them fastidiously not quite bangernomics but good value compared to a work colleague paying £700 a month for a Jag Ftype.

Premier Icon SSS
    Free Member

Currently (my car) a 2006 VW Polo 1.2. Bought in December last year for £500 with 10 months mot, and full tank of petrol. Reckon it’ll pass easily when i MoT it.

Before that 2004 Ford Focus 1.6. £600 with full years mot. Sold it at end of MoT (few engine niggles) for £300, and bought Polo

Before the Focus, a 2012 Ford Ka – bought new for £6k. Put 130k miles on it, did all my own servicing and someone hit it and was a ‘write off’ (damaged wing, bumber and bonnet). Insurance gave me £3k and the car back. Fixed it myself for £100, re MoTd it and carried on using it. Got £400 for it as spares or repairs with no MoT and a few engine niggles.

There are others. Buy em cheap, run them into the ground, sell them on as spares/repairs, start again

Premier Icon spandex_bob

2004 1.8tdci 3dr mk1 focus, affectionately known as the batmobile. Now on 180k miles, and into the last 2 months as mot expires in sept and unlikely to get another due to rot. Pretty much everything works on it, as our 2nd car it’s outlasted a 320d, 520d, Berlingo and nearly a v70. Worth precisely nothing but still handles well, parts have been minimal and cost buttons any how. Will be missed.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

compared to a work colleague paying £700 a month for a Jag Ftype

Indeed. I’ve a colleague paying nearly £400(!) for a low rent Skoda….

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Put 73,000 miles on my £850 2004 volvo v70. Had it coming up to 3 years and it hasn’t actually let me down yet.
    No major mechanical failures, just some suspension component replaced and rear brakes replaced.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

What shape? Sounds like a good deal, what’s the MOT history?

Still driving my C8, got it several years ago from my old man for nothing as he was convinced it was knackered and the interior was trashed from carting dogs around. New DPF and coil and it passed its MOT, been running ever since. Aux heater pipes rusted through and replaced (heater still hasn’t been fixed), spring replaced (coming up on twice) and it has a mysterious oil leak that I’m worried may be coming from the intercooler and by extension the turbo but it’s not eating too much of the black stuff. I’ll try and track that down when I get the chance to pull it to bits (needs belts and a coolant flush).

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

Not sure if this counts. Ford galaxy bought for 8k in about 2014, 

No🤣
    Bangernomics is where you buy a different car because the old one has a bald tyre and its cheaper just to replace the whole thing!
    (Just spent £660 on some Michelin Cross Climates for my van. My first three cars combined cost me £700!)

Premier Icon whatgoesup

2007 Avenesis Diesel Estate with 174k Miles. Apart from the air con not working (as I’m not willing to spend the money getting a leak found and fixed) it’s running absolutely great, does 50mpg, quiet smooth and surprisingly quick for such a hefty old girl. Bought about 10 years ago and over 100k miles ago and during that time it’s only needed service consumables – tyres, oil, brake pads/discs etc plus two batteries and an alternator. I’d call that a win.

It’s got to go though as I’ve a company car incoming shortly. Does anyone here want to buy an Avensis ?

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

No🤣
    Bangernomics is where you buy a different car because the old one has a bald tyre and its cheaper just to replace the whole thing!
    (Just spent £660 on some Michelin Cross Climates for my van. My first three cars combined cost me £700!)

Yea, the Berlingo had 4x new-ish good quality tyres on it when I bought it. Replacing those now would actually make it an economic write-off 🤣.

The anoying thing is, I looked for a replacement, and they sell for frankly silly money. Anything with an MOT is £1k, anything with an MOT and a cambelt changed this decade, no bald tyres etc is £1500+. There are <100k milage examples for sale and people asking £4k. There is no way on this planet, an almost 20 year old Berlingo is worth £4k, whatever the milage.

It’s got to go though as I’ve a company car incoming shortly. Does anyone here want to buy an Avensis ?

Price and location?

Premier Icon Jujuuk68
    Free Member

£1000 Ford Street Ka, bought 2018.

If it was worth nothing today, I have spent £250 pa in depreciation.

Thankfully since covid, I do few miles in it.

In that time it’s swallowed 6 tyres, new front lower suspenstion wishbones, some heater matrix pipes, broken down the odd time. But its great everytime the sun shines, and doesn’t really look like a 17 year old car.

Premier Icon wheelsonfire1

2005 Transit Connect, bought in 2013 for £1450. Still going, normal stuff, cambelt, clutch, alternator. 20016,00 miles, …

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

There is no way on this planet, an almost 20 year old Berlingo is worth £4k, whatever the milage.

I paid £2500 for my 54plate 2.0HDI at the height of Covid which I reckoned was >£1k inflated compared to precovid. Microcampers seems to have become more of a thing since and I think that bumped prices up for awhile.

Premier Icon twinw4ll
    Free Member

In answer to the mot history question it was very good this is the thing I check before buying a car, rejected loads over the past few weeks for obvious neglect, patience is key.
    Underneath is like a three year old car probably because of that extra ground clearance.
    I can’t stop looking at it out of the window it’s pathetic tbh.
    Great to see others embracing the ethos.

Premier Icon whatgoesup

Re Avensis

Price and location

I’m just joking now as I don’t know timing as it involved the new car being ordered, but there might be a “fleet” car I can use in the interim so this could anytime between next week and six months time.

I’ll post something up when it’s more tangible. Midlands (Daventry) and something I the region of £1k ish from a quick scan of ebay sold prices.

Premier Icon whatgoesup

@wheelsonfire

Did you have a celebration as it ticked past the 2 million mile mark ?

Premier Icon Daffy

Does anyone here want to buy an Avensis ?

Nobody ever wants to buy an Avensis.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

2005 Skoda Fabia Estate TDI 150 000 on clock, bought it about 8 years ago for £1000. To be honest we don’t need a second car really as I cycle to work but it is handy sometimes. I would sell it if it was worth anything but whilst it keeps passing its mot I’ll keeping.

Premier Icon Mugboo

After 8 months of driving round with Frogtaped front arches, I am filling and spraying them ready for the MOT in August.

54 Passat Estate £1300 and its passed 5 MOT’s with minimal work. Fingers crossed for a 6th.

It did require a swap of the Comfort Module which VW cleverly placed at the lowest point of the car and then designed it so that it occasionally floods the footwell and fills the Module with water. A mate swapped it out for beers so it only cost £70. It now lives safely on top of the carpet.

Speaking of clever design. The front arches only rot out because of a large square piece of foam that keeps them nice a damp! That said, it did give me a solid place to trap a section of beer can before I added fibreglass 🙂

Premier Icon twinw4ll
    Free Member

A person who owns an Avensis lives life instead of hours on the Internet trying to find out why their VAG isn’t working properly.

Premier Icon BillMC

I bought an old petrol Avensis estate (80k) as an ‘interim’ in the lockdown having got shot of 2 beemers. I prefer the Avensis. Nowt as queer as folk.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

My old Polo. Bought for £400. Eight years of trouble free service, sailing through MOT’s year after year. The annoyance factor was growing though, stupid things breaking that weren’t important, just irritating. Glove box lid flapping around, locks working only occasionally, old plastic bits breaking etc, Sold for £350.

Well done OP. Love to see bangernomics is still a finely practiced craft.

Practiced or practised?

Wait,

£89

Is that right? Did you miss off a zero? How the hell do you get car insurance for £89?!!

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Is that right? Did you miss off a zero? How the hell do you get car insurance for £89?!!

quite likely right . small low power engine , probably rural area , probably lots of no claims

my current cars 120 quid a year with 0 NCB (been driving classic cars for 8 years and they dont get NCB)

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Wow. I need to move out of the city. Cheapest I ever got to was about £300 on a 1L Polo. Up to about £600 now for a Golf GTI 🙁

Premier Icon fossy

2002 Nissan Primera 1.8 SVE – 20 years old, I’ve had it since 10 months. Looks like new, drives like new. Do most of the servicing myself, although let the garage sort a stuck rear caliper (new one) and a near side suspension knuckle this year. Done 145k miles, and maybe worth £1k now. Utterly reliable and good for carrying 4 trail bikes and persons in comfort.

Also a little 60 plate Aygo Blue on 100k – bought cheap for £2k in November. Needed discs/pads (£38), new wheel trims (£30), new complete exhaust (£680) (including cat and sensors) and an alternator (£120), and a good oil change/plugs/filters (£40). Fairly spendy first few months but it’s A1 now.

Daughter starting to learn to drive soon, and insurance is cheap. We tend to use it for local trips as the fuel efficiency really good. Bit basic, but it’s got leccy windows, AC and bluetooth. Could sell it for £3k-4k based on all jobs done and in good condition. I don’t know how it passed it’s MOT 2 months before we bought it with worn out disks and pads though ?

It came with the leaky rear boot, but there is a wealth of info out there and was easy to fix but they leak from hatch seal, bump stops, lights and high level stop lights. Out with the silicone and replaced the lights sealing strips. Very easy cars to work on and cheap as chips to fix.

Wife’s car is a 2012 Qashqai nTec+ with just 54k on it, so not a banger yet.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

2006 Ford Focus, bought new in 2006, 110k kms on the clock, gets no love, gives no problems.

Similar to me – Mazda 3 bought new in 2007 with similar mileage. It gets its annual service but that’s it. In all that time it’s had just one warranty repair and the usual wear and tear items such as suspension parts, brakes, tyres, batteries. The only time it has ever broken down was when both the previous batteries were at end of life (both times over Christmas when it wasn’t used for 2+ weeks). To be fair I want it to die so I can get a new (old) car – currently looking at getting a 5 yr old Fiesta with a heated screen.

Premier Icon enigmas
    Free Member

Mk2 06 plate focus – bought 10 years ago for 4k and now has 120k miles on the clock. Just passed it’s MOT today first time.

Think it’s had two big hits in those 10 years, VVT cams and power steering pump. I’ll truely be gutted when it finally gives up.

Premier Icon kilo

Renault modus in gold

Had to Google a modus. That is one very fugly car, and I own a Skoda roomster!!

Bangernomics is not “this car I bought new a decade ago is still going” it’s “I just bought a car for £600”’

Premier Icon JackHammer

54 plate ford focus 1.6ti. Just nudged it over 100k miles this year. Bought it in 2015 (i think) for £3k.

All the gizmos and gadgets are slowly dying, but it’s still trucking.

Gonna drive it until it’s uneconomical to fix.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Sigh, £3k, £7k etc is NOT bangernomics. Doesn’t matter if you bought it in 1963.

😉

Premier Icon zilog6128

54 plate ford focus 1.6ti. Just nudged it over 100k miles this year. Bought it in 2015 (i think) for £3k.

I only got rid of my mk1 focus (is yours a mk1? on the cusp possibly!) a couple of years ago as it was a 2nd car that I just didn’t need any more. Absolutely brilliant, had it about 14 years almost from new but it too had only just crept over 100k. Central locking was playing up but everything else including air con still worked! Stuff had broken over the years but everything was so easy (and crucially, cheap, to fix). Great, dependable car, nice to drive also. Think those days will soon be over though, certainly no modern car can compete in the cheapness/reliability stakes!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.