• This topic has 48 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Badger…
  • Haze

‘Trapped’ in our garden overnight…he’s dug himself a nice bed for the day under our conifers, but not before trying to eat his way through 3 fence panels!

So what to do, assuming he’ll keep his head down through the day do I wait until dusk and maybe try to encourage him to use the gate?

Obviously from a safe distance and maybe with shin pads on…

scruff9252

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/badger.htm

Bring out the BBQ and report back on how it tasted.

welshfarmer

You will need more than shin pads if you corner him! Having freed a couple of them in the past from fox snares that our local game keeper used to put up all over the place, the humble cute Badger comes a close second only to the African Honey Badger in terms of snappy, bitey, self preservation, viciousness, and is not to be messed with lightly. Badgers are Badass MFs 🙂

Haze

Reckon it’ll go well with the halloumi?

scud
    Free Member

Went on a bivi recently where all i could hear was the sound of crunching and munching really loudly, when i got up in the morning i realised how close to a large badger set i was, noisy buggers!

Haze

snappy, bitey, self preservation, viciousness

Yeah my fence panels bear testament to this!

martinhutch

Yes, but was your patio covered with tubeless spaff? That was a particularly angry badger.

qwerty
    Free Member

I saw a badger DJing once.

qwerty
    Free Member

… great sett.

fasthaggis

badger stunt

Sonor
    Free Member

Yes, but was your patio covered with tubeless spaff? That was a particularly angry badger.

Out in the daytime as well.

jonm81

We had exactly the same last night. There was a loud clang from the side gate then a lot of bashing around the garden as it couldn’t find a way out.

It dug under the back wooden fence in to the nature reserve behind but got stuck between that and the chainlink fence the previous owner couldn’t be arsed to remove before putting up the wooden fence.

I had to get very close the poor wee bugger whilst cutting the fence to let it out. They are pretty terrifying close up specially when they growl and snap at you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mushroom! Mushroom! Snake!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Didn’t someone on here run one over on a night ride, and was then chased down the hill by the angry ‘victim’?

Badgers are ace..

Haze

I do like them, would have preferred he didn’t try to eat his way through my fences but a couple of them needed replacing anyway.

He was fast asleep in there when I left for work…

chakaping
    Free Member

Send in a baboon and we can answer the age-old question.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Soak some cloths in Jeyes Fluid, hang them around the garden and on the grass near where he’s sleeping.

They ain’t keen on the smell.

We had some try and attack the chicken sheds, just hung some Jeyes Fluid cloths near them and that was the last we saw of em’ in the farm. They still romo around the Beck and Woods, so are still around and happy.. all be it with one less meal.

ElShalimo

“Marking your territory” in the garden should keep it away. My mate had a small-holding and this was the only way to keep them off his veg garden.

martinhutch

My mate had a small-holding

I don’t think this makes a difference to the smell.

pedlad

small-holding

does your mate know you question his manhood on forums?

ElShalimo

It does make it easier to hold when marking your territory.

sockpuppet

Mushroom! Mushroom!

Came here to post this. Pleased someone else got there first.

Life is good knowing that 15 year old internet banter is being honoured.

johnx2
    Free Member

“My mate had a small-holding and this was the only way to keep them off his veg garden.

Post is target-rich environment

tthew

I rescued a lamb that had got itself stuck in a wire fence at the weekend. My riding buddy transferred a bucket full of tadpoles that were living in a rapidly drying out puddle.

Really not the same level of jeopardy at all.

piemonster

Surely someone still had a photo of the “angry badger”

martinhutch

I hear he’s gone into politics.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Fence panels you say

Lift the damaged one up….. and prop it up something (upturned bucket)

Escape to Victory

Good luck

But got to say … you must have a rubbish Badger there …. the sods in my back garden just dig under the gravel boards.

jimdubleyou

15 years? Blimey.

funkmasterp

Whatever you do OP please promise to film it and post it up on here.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Actually saw my first living badger the other day, or more than just a fleeting glance I may have seen in the past. All others I’ve seen have always been dead ones, by the side of the road. Never in the middle of the road and don’t look squashed. More like some farmer has dumped them there to claim as road kill 😉

Maybe there are more of them about now. I blame Brian May.

Jakester
    Free Member

Came here to post this. Pleased someone else got there first.

That was also my first thought on seeing the thread title.

All together now:

“Everyone loves Magical Trevor, ‘Cause the tricks that he does are ever so clever, Look at him now, disappearin’ the cow, Where is the cow hidden right now?”

Marin
    Free Member

Love badgers. An old guy I worked with once told me the dead badgers at the side of the roads round N.Wales are mostly killed and dumped to look like road kill. No idea if it’s true or why you’d not leave them dumped or buried in a field. He reckoned Badger sets are targeted, exits blocked and then gassed. More interesting tea break than usual with that firm anyway.

Haze

Fence panels you say

Lift the damaged one up….. and prop it up something (upturned bucket)

Escape to Victory

Good luck

But got to say … you must have a rubbish Badger there …. the sods in my back garden just dig under the gravel boards.

Yeah been thinking along those lines, at lot of the panels are skirted by decking or brick so he wouldn’t be able to dig too close to them.

He probably is a bit stupid though, if he went down the steps and along the side of the house he’d find a perfectly passable gate with railings!

I’m hoping he’ll have found his way out when I get home, assuming there’s still a house left 😀

If not can someone lend me a GoPro?!

bruk

I’d prop the fence panel up if possible it just cut a hole in it if you are going to replace it anyway. Don’t try and go anywhere near it. They are very strong solid evenly buggers.
    Having hit 2 badgers with the car over the years ( joys of living rurally and being called out at night) I can testify that they don’t get squashed when you hit them. They do smash up you bumpers however. Those ones by the side of the road are likely to have been hit. Wear gloves and cover you mouth/nose if your are going to pick them up and move them though.

Haze

Don’t try and go anywhere near it. They are very strong solid evenly buggers

I had my hand in there this morning when I first went to investigate, pulled it out pretty sharpish when I heard grunting!

Haze

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Forget Norway.

Jakester
    Free Member

They do smash up you bumpers however

This I can attest to. Hit one at about 50mph of an evening, smashed the crap out of my front bumper, the bugger had the temerity to get up and run off! Didn’t even leave his insurance details, the sod.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

We had a badger in our garden last night too. He/she may still be there. I’ve not checked. Hope my veggie patch is ok.

I once, on a solo night ride, hit a badger as it crossed the single track I was riding. Over the bars I went, then sprang to my feet expecting a fight. He just trotted off, nonchalantly.

retro83
    Free Member

qwerty

… great sett.

I cete what you did there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Badger…’ is closed to new replies.