Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Aviemore weekend of 17th
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Will it still be really midgey? Staying at Rothiemurcus. Forecast makes it look a bit chilly at night, will take a jumper or two and a 3 season bag.

tartanscarf

Could well be, you’re right in the woods there. They are certainly very bad at the moment here in Glencoe.

Having said that the cold temperatures could put paid to them, fingers crossed.

longdog
    Free Member

I’ll be taking smidge that weekend anyway. The buggers absolutely love me, and oddly enough I hate them 😂

scotroutes

TBH there’s been surprisingly little midge action this year though they’ve been a bit active the past couple of weeks.

Assuming the campsite, it’s a very sheltered spot with a river running through it so prime midge territory. If they’re about, it’ll likely be during the early evening and will head off to bed around sunset (20:30-ish).

It’s not that cold in the evenings yet either. A 3 season bag will be more than adequate – probably overkill for me though.

longdog
    Free Member

@scotroutes what are the tracks like after this last few days of downpour?

scotroutes

Drying out nicely. 😄

We’ve had a couple of prolonged heavy showers but nothing biblical. The Feshie was a bit higher today and a bit brown looking but not wild.

piemonster

I was camped out a couple of nights a bit further north, week and a half ago, the Midge were present but tolerable.

Very little wind, camped in some woods. Strong sun during the daytime will have helped.

matt_outandabout

longdog
    Free Member

That’s good to know. We have had some biblical rain over here in Angus with some flooding in parts too. Nice day today, but lots of gravel washed out onto roads in places.

molgrips
    Free Member

I saw an ad for a gas powered midge repellent heater thingy on my FB feed. Might invest.

scotroutes

@molgrips – how did you get on with the tri (and the camping?)

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t feel well during the swim, only did half of it because every time I swam crawl I felt like puking. They let me do the rest of it though which I plodded. Great course though.

Camping was pretty good at Oakwood. A bit close to the A9 but not too bad, and nice new facilities and helpful staff. Midges not too bad either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.