Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Auto sparkie help required! Old Diesel Polo with relay problems..
  • bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Greetings hive mind! How are we all today?

Please help me shed some light on a problem with my car.
    It’s a 97 model VW Polo.. 1.9 mechanical Diesel, engine code AEF.

I tried to start it on Friday, but no luck for the first couple of tries. The clock had reset itself, and on the second try there was a buzzing noise from behind the dash, like a relay failing to latch.
    It started after that, but the stereo wouldn’t switch on. The stereo is getting power though, as the panel lights work. All the other electricals seem to be working, and all the fuses are good.
    Now to throw something else into the mix.. At some time in the past, the cold start circuit buggered up, and there is a manual button to activate the glow plugs.

Used it again on Sunday and it started first time, still with no stereo, but this time the engine decided to cut out 3 times on the way home!

I shat a brick. 3 times.

It cut out when idling, between gear changes. Passengers were *ahem* nervous.

Now please answer me these questions three..
    If it’s probably a relay, which one shall I buy and try? The haynes book of lies shows me a wiring diagram, but helpfully doesn’t say which is which on the board.
    Is there anything else, like the ignition switch likely to be at fault?
    Does anyone know any good auto sparkies in the Basingstoke area? The nearest decent garage in Hartley Whitney are booked right up.

Keef
    Free Member

have you checked the fuel solenoid on the pump ?(cutting out) also wiggle the wire from the solenoid on the starter,to the starter motor itself.this is a weak link in the chain,the soldered joint sometimes over heats and goes ‘dry’not connected to the cutting out problem,obv.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Cheers. Will have a look see after lunch.
    It did seem to be idling a little slow last night, so I guess that could be restricted fuel. It did restart fine by lifting the clutch while still rolling though.
    I did notice a few times recently that the stereo was not cutting out when the starter motor was turning over.. Hence why I suspect a relay.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fuel solenoid on old diesels. Wire sticking out of the pump (towards teh front, if it’s a Bosch one like I had). You’ll know, because when it’s running if you pull it off the engine cuts out immediately.

You can put a wire from the battery +ve onto that termimal if you want to hard-wire it. It’ll work fine but the engine won’t stop until you open the bonnet and remove the wire 🙂

All it does is open a valve to let the fuel in.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Hmm.. interesting. I just found that the wire to the solenoid from the main engine plug had wandered down toward the fan. The sleeve is shredded, but the 2 wires inside are OK looking. will chop that section out and put a chock block in and take it for a drive. Will stick a multimeter on the wires and see if it’s getting intermittent current too.

Still no tunes though 😥

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Auto sparkie help required! Old Diesel Polo with relay problems..’ is closed to new replies.