Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Asking permission or seeking forgiveness?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Following a few deaths of close friends/family this year MrsMC has recently expressed a lot of “live for the moment/you can’t take it with you” sentiments.

I strongly suspect this doesn’t extend to the purchase of more bicycles though!

cookeaa

Buy a whole bike? Nah, I just do it piece by piece.
    But I do need to consider getting rid of one or two perhaps, My sister is due to take delivery of various kids bikes which should see her daughter through to at least her 10.

I’ve also just embarked on assembling a dedicated CX bike for next year (rather than changing the wheels on my gravel bike), again starting with a (cheap) frame…

The boss has no idea what bike is what, when ay of them turned up and what they’re for, she doesn’t really venture to the garage unless she wants to dump something of her own in there.
    Ultimately My expenditure on bikes is substantially less than hers on various things, not that we’re keeping score, but if we were I would ‘win’ I reckon.

jamescarters
    Free Member

We have good set up. One joint account for all family expenditure, one joint savings account for things like holidays, plus one personal account each. Each month we both contribute to the joint account such that we have the same amount left in our personal accounts (e.g. if I get paid 2,500 and she gets paid 3,000 she contributes 2,000 and I contribute 1,500). The money in our personal accounts is ours to do with as we please, but if the joint account needs topping up we match payments.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’ve got a joint account that we both pay equally into that covers the house, holidays, food etc.

I still get it in the neck for buying bike bits.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not sure I could spend that sort of money without running it by my wife. I doubt she would say no, but there’s usually some sort of deal to be struck.

Unless you’re rolling in cash, £3k + is a significant purchase. And let’s face it, it’s hardly a necessary expense.

There is literally nothing that she spends money on just for herself that I can compare it to.

Yeah, it’s annoying isn’t it? My wife buys loads of small items that she thinks she needs but seemingly bring her no joy. I rarely spend money, but when I do it’s usually something expensive that I’ll enjoy. I’m sure we spend similar amounts overall.

macwhisky
    Free Member

I bought another bike, (it was a bargain and couldn’t resist), but made sure it was the same make and (near) colour, and as long as I kept them apart, the fun police/ Financial Advisor didn’t notice, having about 6 or 7 other bikes help keep it hidden. 🙂

didnthurt

We have a joint account for bills, shopping etc and our own accounts for whatever we want to spend it on.

So as long at the new bike isn’t coming out of the joint account then all’s fine. Mostly… 😉

didnthurt

I did some maths on this before and I reckon I’ve spent about £25 a week on bikes and kit over the years. Not a huge amount of money, and probably more than what the wife spends on stuff she likes.

It’s only when you total this up over the years that it starts to look Like a lot (17 years). 😳

jamiemcf

I start early, sow the seed that the new bike will solve all my biking woes, cheaper than replacing all the worn out bits. I drop wee hints over a few months until she screams ‘just buy the bloody thing!!!’

Then I buy it, it wasn’t really my decision then.

the-muffin-man

There is literally nothing that she spends money on just for herself that I can compare it to.

You need to get her a horse. Bike parts are dirt cheap in comparison! 🙂

orena45

reeksy
    My wife used to teach accountancy amongst other things and pretty much knows what is going in and out of our accounts on a minute by minute basis.

And she doesn’t ride bikes.

A new bike typically involves something akin to a full blown election campaign crossed with a five year war strategy, several weeks of sulking, interspersed with arguments.

Ha, this is my wife also! Except she’s not an accountant….just her main ‘hobby’ is being a ‘moneysavingexpert’ – which inevitably means that she doesn’t spend money :-/

geomickb
    Free Member

Couple of options:

1, Get one the same colour as an existing one so the regulatory body doesn’t notice.
    2, Buy the parts individually and just pretend like they are replacements for wear and tear.

On a serious note, if you aren’t using then frequently then get rid. Cash in pocket is better then a sad unloved bike.

blackhat
    Free Member

We have always earned about the same amount, so we pay enough into a joint account to cover the household running expenses, holidays etc leaving the balance for ourselves. That way, daily frittering expenditure is our own look out. Despite my throwaway comment earlier, most of our bigger interests are shared so major spending tends to go through The Committee

mert
    Free Member

You need to get her a horse. Bike parts are dirt cheap in comparison! 🙂

I thought parts of horses were fairly cheap, i mean tescos kept putting them in lasagne.

irc

A bit of come and go. My wife has said I can go touring in the USA for a month or two next year. Then she saw an expensive bit of jewellery she liked.

phil5556

It’s only more recently that I’ve realised we’re the weird ones for having just one account. When we first moved in together we paid in to a joint account for living and joint stuff etc but now everything goes in & out of just one joint account.

We warn each other before we make big purchases, but there’s no permission needed & it definitely doesn’t need weeks of election campaigning & sulking 😳

IHN

See, now, MrsIHN thinks this is the case with her, but her hobbies (running and swimming) seem to need a lot more frequent, smaller, purchases (trainers wear out, swimming cossies wear out, event entry fees, etc etc) that, I’m sure add up to the amount I spend on biking (which has been literally nothing for about five years, until I spent £2k on a bike last year). She doesn’t seem to think this is the case though…

didnthurt

It was a bit different when the kids came along.

Before then I could buy what I liked, but now apparently I’m selfish if I get something for the bikes instead of buying the kids new shoes 🤣

thegeneralist
    Free Member

We have good set up. One joint account for all family expenditure, one joint savings account for things like holidays, plus one personal account each. Each month we both contribute to the joint account such that we have the same amount left in our personal accounts (e.g. if I get paid 2,500 and she gets paid 3,000 she contributes 2,000 and I contribute 1,500). The money in our personal accounts is ours to do with as we please, but if the joint account needs topping up we match payments.

Are you me?😁
    Or rather, am I married to you?😂

Back to the OP…
    I got grief off the missus a few years ago for buying a Spec Enduro in the sale and then going to the other extreme the year after and buying a Giant Anthem in a sale.

She basically said to stop pissing about buying shit bikes because they are reduced. Work out what bike I really, really want and then just buy the bloody thing. 🙂

So I did.

Helps that I’d also just bought her her dream Spec Stumpie Carbon Expert earlier in the year.

Of more concern to me is that she’s currently planning to spend 15 times the cost of the stumpie on bloody bathrooms.

Should have left her to buy her own bloody bike….. 🙁

scotroutes

We just have a joint account we share for everything and only buy stuff if we can afford it. I don’t need to ask permission or seek forgiveness.

TheFlyingOx

Bills are paid, house is ok, kids have clothes, we have food in the fridge and the cars are looked after. Like MoreCashThanDash says above, we only get one shot at this so carpe diem.

mogrim

My wife has said I can go touring in the USA for a month or two next year. Then she saw an expensive bit of jewellery she liked.

Are you those events happened in exactly that order?

ico86

Play a long game, convince your other half to acquire a horse and then you get free rein (boom boom) as bike purchases pale into insignificance

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

There is an option you didnt mention. Missdirection!
    Distract them with dogs while putting the bike in the shed. Knowing that once its in there they will never count the number of bikes or even really notice the difference between your CX bike or your DH bike. puppies work best. Videos of puppies are cheaper than actual puppies but you have to be quick.

bigblackshed

Puppies? Really?

The Wife wants a dachshund, have you seen the price of dachshunds?

honourablegeorge

irc

A bit of come and go. My wife has said I can go touring in the USA for a month or two next year. Then she saw an expensive bit of jewellery she liked.

Schoolboy error, she says yes, you book the flights then and there

LAT

my wife is the breadwinner in our house, so i feel it’s only polite to ask, and since becoming a parent i can feel guilty about spending large sums of money on myself.

my strategy is to tell her about an amazing new thing, then i soften her up by talking about how great the item is, reading reviews to her and showing her pictures of the item. eventually, when i’m over my parental guilt for taking food from my child’s mouth, i ask if i can buy it. she says, “yes”.

i secretly think that she enjoys listening to my talks on bike parts.

edit: but if i ask for something too cheap or from a mainstream company, she will question my request.

Olly
    Free Member

“as a responsible adult, i have concluded that a sensible limit on the number of bikes i have is: as many as i want”

tonyg2003

Same situation here as the Muffin Man. MrsG has a horse so that my biking expenditure can never compete with that (stabling, vet, insurance, farrier, kit, events, tutoring, horse lorry etc…). Never have to ask permission for bikes… my other “toys/hobbies” however……..!!!

MoreCashThanDash

nights out/ trips away.

You need permission?

I thought we needed permission, just to make sure one of us was around to deal with the kids, but LittleMissMC casually mentioned the other day that her mum is having a few days in Budapest in December 🤷‍♂️

bigblackshed

Operation New Bike is a-go. I repeat, Operation New Bike is a-go.

“As long as more are leaving than arriving, then I suppose so. 🙄”

Going to have a look and a sit on a bike tomorrow.

Man Maths Part 2.

I’ve just found a small collection of Thomson seatposts and a surplus Apidura seat pack I didn’t know I had. There’s also £24 credit on my credit card that was a refund. It’s practically free. Actually there might be the startings of a new bike fund.

I love man maths.

sharkattack

If I order a Hope HB.916 will someone on here pretend to be the person I just bought it from second hand and write me a receipt for about half the real price?

llama

Mrs llama encourages me to get bikes and kit so she can justify buying even better for herself

honourablegeorge

I have a friend who got a bike shop owner to pose for a photo so that he could pretend to his wife he won his new bike in a raffle

reeksy

i secretly think that she enjoys listening to my talks on bike parts.

I mean of course she does!

dyna-ti

I just buy things. You can always find justification. Always.

I need a new slide mitre saw. So did I buy a new slide mitre saw ?,no i did not. I bought a plunge/track saw, and an expensive one at that.

Justification – It can act like a slide mitre saw, but with far greater capacity.

So you would think i no long need a slide mitre saw now i have the track saw.

WRONG 😆 I’m still going to buy a slide mitre saw.

tonyg2003

My friend who owns a bike shop is regularly asked for two reciepts. One of the insurance and one for the partner/wife/husband.

chriscubed

So you find a bike that is twice as much as the one you want, and put in the groundwork…you need a new bike, it’s perfect for the type of riding you do, but it’s a bit expensive, you’re not sure what to do etc.

Then you ‘find’ the one you originally wanted…it’s nearly as good, it’s half the price, you would have felt guilty about buying the expensive one (this is key, you’re the victim here 😊) you’re saving money etc etc.

New bike arrives, everyone is happy.

vlad_the_invader

I tried to impose the “one in, one out” rule to Mrs Vlad’s spending on shoes and was met with a withering guffaw…

Similarly, I work from home and despair at the number of times per day I have to answer the door to Amazon delivering yet more crap she’s bought…

So, in the Vlad household, she’s the “problem”, not me…

hot_fiat

Forgiveness. Every time.

So far: a fat bike (5 days before wedding), an orange crush, a very large KTM, my Giulia, renovation of my track car, a motorbike trip around Europe at extremely short notice…

She’s a keeper.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.