Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Are Watches on the way out?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

Tempted to buy a new watch as my life revolves around hectic time.
    Gf reckons just use your phone and nobody under 50 wears a watch.

I'm not trying to be flash just wanted a new watch that looked good but was able to wear anywhere. Now I'm thinking if watches are naff just stick with the mobile?!

😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

my girlfriend is the same with watches she hates them – personally i like my watch on my arm lets me know what time it is without taking something out my pocket !

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

glancing at a watch is easier than getting a phone out. Watch-phone anyone ? You can pretend you're secret agent 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

love my watch… a big heavy flash Omega Seamaster that I got off my family for my 30th… didn't wear it for almost 2 years as I felt it was too 'big heavy & flash' but finally gave it a go, and now it's a part of me, feel 'undressed' without it on…

the-muffin-man

Don't know why but I got out of the habit of wearing a watch 5/6 years ago. Feels really odd when I put one on now!

trail_rat
    Free Member

infact – id sooner not have a phone than a watch !

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah I noticed fewer people wearing watches. I noticed this because there's been a lot more people asking me the time. D'oh!

kimbers

i need a new watch as im lost wiithout one

i saw this one in the oakley shop and thought ill have that baby, till i found out the price. 🙁

titanium and carbon fibre unecessary bling- the perfect mtbers watch

ononeorange

Couldn't be without my watch. I'd miss trains. Can happily be without my phone, though.

shermer75
    Free Member

And the price was?

zaskar
    Free Member

I hate getting my mobile out of my pocket or carrying it with me unless I am at work or riding.

I feel naked as well lol.

I have noticed prices coming down too and spoke to sales staff in the local mall who have to order in anything you want as sales are down-recession as well I guess.

(Well it was not that much Sherman! RRP £150 reduced to £70 nothing special but it was titanium and gold but I go through watches quick-wear while DIY or riding kills them or just a black leather strap watch for £48 so I am not overspending considering I'll break it within 2yrs!)

I actually bought a M&S watch for a £1 while riding and it lasted 3 yrs full of scratches but never late lol.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Watches FTW.

MSP

I frequently leave my phone at home, I have never really adopted the need to be in contact with the world 24 hours a day. But I do need a watch.

kimbers

$2750 in the US dunno how much it would be here, never asked in the shop !

edit
    2 grand over here ive just found it online

glad i didnt ask in the shop as my jaw hitting the flaw would have been quite embarassing

BigDummy
    Free Member

I feel like a saddo checking my phone all the time. I'd worry that people seeing me would think I was checking for messages that weren't there when I was really just checking the time. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I want to have another child (a boy) just so I can have an excuse to spend lots on a proper good watch to pass down as a heirloom.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I frequently leave my phone at home, I have never really adopted the need to be in contact with the world 24 hours a day. But I do need a watch.

Amen to that – unfortunately it's very difficult to escape being verbally assulted by scores of others conducting their loud, inane converstaions in trains, supermarkets etc etc…

Keva
    Free Member

the last watch I owned would've been around 1981 when I was 11 years old. Never seen the point in them.

Kev

TooTall
    Free Member

watch sales amongst 'teh kidz' have dropped off in recent years – they do reckon it is down to them using their mobile phones.

Those of us born before mobile phones (and I don't include bliddy iphone users here) can get away without touching them all the time and prefer a watch. A watch is one of the only items of bling acceptable on a man!

Talkemada
    Free Member

i saw this one in the oakley shop and thought ill have that baby, till i found out the price

You did yourself a favour. Cheap tacky looking thing.

I wear a watch most of the time. Easier to check whilst on the bike, handy for when I go swimming (good for timing myself as well), and I don't always take my 'phone out with me like so many folk.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can't avoid the time. It's in your car, on every bit of electronic kit at home, on the side of buildings, on all sorts of displays, everywhere. Why anyone NEEDS a watch beats me.

I wore a watch from about the age of 5 until I got my first motorbike. It was too bulky to have a watch, gloves and a jacket all strapped round my wrist. Even then, when I was on holiday, I used to leave my watch at home and go without because I dislike being ruled by time. I've only worn a watch occasionally for running in about the last 15 years. It's simply pointless these days.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I love em big, expensive, overbuilt ones preferably.

I'm 39.

Like this

http://www.utswatches.com/

A nice meaty watch is a sign of having considerable Cohones…

tron
    Free Member

I like to have a watch. If you're worried about looking flash, just get a basic one.

I'm not a fan of getting my phone out to check the time as a) it's impossible to do discreetly (and therefore you look rude) and b) once in a while a smackhead seems to spot my phone tries to engage me in conversation so as to liberate it from me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, I also ride with a chap who repairs and deals in expensive watches: Rolex, Cartier, real top end £70,000+++ watches.

I asked him once if he wore one himself. –
    "Good god no!"
    **takes off watch, bashes it on the table**
    "Cheap Casio. Unbreakable!"

🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Why anyone NEEDS a watch beats me.

Well, most of us need to be able to tell the time for various reasons. And my mobile has a stopwatch, but isn't waterproof. 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

Generally speaking these days – I don't care what time it is so don't bother with a watch & put the phone in the desk when not working.

There's a kitchen clock, a clock in the car & the one in the bottom right of the PC screen if I'm desperate to know what time it is

Talkemada
    Free Member

A nice meaty watch is a sign of having considerable Cohones…

No, it's a sign of wanting to give the impression that you have considerable cohones… 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Never use a watch. Damn uncomfortable annoying thing to wear, especially as Ispend all day on a computer and it rubs the desk under my wrist.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I wear a watch and I have inherited my fathers "what is the point in a bloody digital watch, tells you nothing!"
    Well, ok, it doesn't tell you nothing exactly, but in just the same way an analogue speedo, temp guage, thermometer can tell you loads of quarter to, half full, too fast, stuff a watch with hands is great.

Digital watch, pointless.
    Analogue watch, less pointless.

Looking to replace my ageing and slightly very battered EcoDrive that I thought would last for ever, wasn't considering physical damage though…

Surfr
    Free Member

What the hell are cohones?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bollocks.

My watch tells me what time it is in New York, which is very handy, if I want to know what the time in New York is.

uplink
    Free Member

What the hell are cohones

some sort of shellfish wrapped in pasta – I believe

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You can't avoid the time. It's in your car, on every bit of electronic kit at home, on the side of buildings, on all sorts of displays, everywhere. Why anyone NEEDS a watch beats me.

I used to leave my watch at home and go without because I dislike being ruled by time

Amen to that 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought it was scallops wrapped in bacon?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Uplink – Very good.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's true, they are like peas in tesco bag now you know my shame.

steelfan
    Free Member

I've just gone back to wearing one after my gf bought me one of those Mondaine Swiss Railways watch for my 40th the other day. It already feels completely natural after not wearing one for over ten years!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I just wear mine so I can tell those that dont the time – seems to happen rather a lot… 😉

D0NK

Spent about 6 months so far watchless since the last of my watch batteries ran out of juice, bloody annoying getting the phone out to timecheck and have trouble reading it outdoors. Must send the lot off to ASD asap.

Talkemada
    Free Member

peas in tesco bag

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Are Watches on the way out?’ is closed to new replies.