Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Are there any 9-speed clutch mechs? or is it only 10?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Clutch sounds good, but 10speed does not.
    Any option for a tech luddite such as myself?

Mister-P
    Free Member

In Shimano clutch mechs are 10 speed only.

lardman
    Free Member

Ok, cheers MrP.
    Bugger. I guess i’ll just stick with the bouncy-clanky chain i have been using just fine for years.

Lardman.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

First person to get one working on 9spd gets a boiled sweet.

Mackem

At the risk of ridicule.

Surely the number gears is just dependant on the shifter? Use a 10-speed mech with a 9 speed shifter and you’ll be ok.

Or not?

edit – suppose you might need a 10 speed chain.

edit again – then I suppose you’d need a new cassette.

All depends if a 9 speed chain will go on a 10-speed mech then.

VanHalen

differet pull ratios/parallalllelelelelgram design thingie scuppers a 9sp shifter.

prezet
    Free Member

Been thinking the same – might be time to bite the bullet next season and go 1×10

Mackem

Ok then – Friction shifter + 9 speed cassette + 10 speed mech ? (although you might as well just go 10 speed)

Northwind

It might be possible to change the cam in the shifter to correct the pull ratio for a 10-speed mech. But that’ll be mucho hassle. Sadly both SRAM and Shimano want clutch mechs and big cassettes to be USPs for 10-speed so I don’t think we’ll ever see it roll down to 9.

(at least make us a 9-speed clutch Saint? No? Oh)

falkirk-mark

I would imagine the only issue would be chain width, this is assuming the width of the cassettes are the same then it would only be a jockey wheel change.

A mate broke his rear mech on his demo , he got a new 10speed x9
    Did two races and many days playing in the woods on it
    And was asked how he was getting on with the 10sp mech on a 9sp cassete !
    He thought it was 10 speed already. !!!!!!

monsterphonic
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking it must be possible to re-engineer a 10 speed clutch mech to work with 9 speed, I discussed it with a friend in the bike industry, and he found this page, with an interesting solution with a damper, and super simple solution, (if you are prepared to drill a small hole in your mech)

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2012/11/14/hochspannung-fuer-alte-9-fach-schaltwerke-die-geschichte-vom-kettenglueck/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.mtb-news.de/news/2012/11/14/hochspannung-fuer-alte-9-fach-schaltwerke-die-geschichte-vom-kettenglueck/%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D428%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=R8KmUJ6kFLDJ0AW_04HwCQ&ved=0CCEQ7gEwAA

dreednya
    P20

Or go old school. Short length of alloy and a spring. The bullet bros tensioner!

khani
    Free Member

Allegedly…. 9sp shimano is 2-1 and 10sp is 1-1 and 9sp SRAM is 1-1 and 10sp is 2-1
    So allegedly a 10sp SRAM rear mech would work with 9sp shimano shifters…
    Allegedly..

camerone
    Free Member

Khani allegedly do you know anyone who allegedly has got this to work.

khani
    Free Member

No. But in theory it should, maybe..
    Allegedly…

GavinB

Is there any reason why a 10 spd mech won’t work on a 9 speed drivetrain?

I’ve used 9 spd mechs on 10 spd drivetrains without any issues at all ( when MrsB smashed the 10 spd rear mech on her road bike, the only spare I had was a 9 spd 105 one from an old bike of mine) . The shifters drive the ratios and indexing surely?

simondbarnes

Is there any reason why a 10 spd mech won’t work on a 9 speed drivetrain?

Yes, see above.

I’ve used 9 spd mechs on 10 spd drivetrains without any issues at all ( when MrsB smashed the 10 spd rear mech on her road bike, the only spare I had was a 9 spd 105 one from an old bike of mine)

Shimano road 9 & 10spd rear mechs use the same pull ratio

njee20
    Free Member

Are we really doing this again?!

GavinB

@simon thanks, I must have been lucky then!

ratherbeintobago

SRAM is 1-1 and 10sp is 2-1

IIRC 10sp isn’t 1:1, but it’s not far off. Just far enough that 9sp SRAM gear doesn’t work.

Andy

simondbarnes

Are we really doing this again?!

We’ll be doing this every week until nobody is using 9spd any more 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Are there any 9-speed clutch mechs? or is it only 10?’ is closed to new replies.