Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Are sick edits going to keep dropping?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GoPro Trading Halted After Shares Lose Over 20% Of Value

Or has the novelty worn off? Wonder how many millions of hours of footage is sitting unedited and unwatched.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Every GoPro film I’ve seen has just been teeth numbingly boring.

I have watched one surf paddleboard one twice, the others just once and often only the first 30seconds..

I don’t see the point.

martinhutch

The penny has finally dropped that, even if you shell out for the go pro, the chest mounted gimbal, and the second go pro on the drone, all the resulting ‘edit’ will reveal is how slow (and ‘unpro’) you look.

matt_outandabout

martinhutch+1
    And you have just paid over the odds for the GoPro product to do so.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Skiing – I used to use helmetcam, but POV just sucks and I CBA to edit it. Rear facing towards other people, or video from a drone or stationary observer is almost always better.

Perhas we have reached Peak Narcissism? 🙂

nickc

Tech company racks up up massive debts developing kit, sales can’t recoup losses, makes IPO, shareholders realise that sales aren’t great, sell shares…

Go Pro needs to be a media company sharpish, not a unit shifter

martinhutch

Peak Narcissism

I dunno. I think we could use a few more ‘edits’ of people shredding The Beast.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha great title CFH.

I quite want one just to film my son snowboarding for the first time . The tantrums, ” I hate you dad ” and so on captured in wobbly HD.

mickmcd
    Free Member

POV just sucks

thats a google favourite for work if i ever there was one

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a GoPro 4 black and think it’s great. I only ever use it to film myself when I’m doing something daft like a new jump or drop when there is a chance it will go horribly wrong and I want video evidence for you’ve been framed. My main use for it is filming my kids and I have some amazing clips of them doing things where I would not want to take my proper camera.
    What I don’t get is why some people seem to need to film every bit of even the most boring trails like cannock. Is seems like a ritual to constantly stop and hold everyone up to press go on the camera. Do these people ever actually watch that rubbish?
    The best thing for me is the screen grabs from the videos on the phone app. I now take and delete a lot more video just to hopefully get a good photo better than taking a burst or single shot would.

akira

I quite like the voice control on the new 5, seems like you will just film more interesting bits rather than a full run of floss.

timidwheeler

I’ve started setting mine to take a photo every three seconds, rather than a video. You get much better quality than screen grabs. On the laptop it doesn’t take long to flick through, grab the good ones and delete the rest.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I still notice quite a lot being used on top gear/gadget show etc.. Will they keep a niche for professional quality stuff?

chum3
    Free Member

Had a Contour GPS headcam which only got a little use in the end. I think they have a place if you want to record stuff for personal use, but agree editing is just a PITA, and POV recordings are generally uninspiring.

The conclusion I’ve come to is for an edit to be engaging it either needs to show dramatic action, or something visually appealing, like some stunning scenery which can only really be captured by setting the “action” in context from a second vantage point, like a drone or another person.

simon_g

Market saturation, just like home computers and smartphones went though. A goldrush of mainstream adopters, then everyone who wanted one already has one and they really need a good reason to buy a newer and better one.

GoPro seem to have pinned a lot of their hopes on their drone, but that’s a really crowded market already.

mcnultycop

Just remember stuff. You can remember it better than it actually was.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think we’ve passed peak, I bought one, it was very “oooo ahhh” for a few weeks, then I’d use it, watch back the clips and couldn’t be arsed editing, which is tedious and slow even with a mega power PC, how these Lads banging away with 5-6 year old Laptops manage to keep the enthusiasm I don’t know. Second year (this summer) it got a bit of an outing for The Alps, but even then, most of it I couldn’t be bothered to watch let alone edit.

My experience seems pretty typical, I still like it, I’ll still use it now and again, I’m just more selective about it, but I’ve no desire to upgrade and if it died, well, I’d get over it pretty quick.

I guess my ‘problem’ was the same as everyone else’s – in a world full of Pro Riders knocking out Pro made vids mine will always look shit, and it doesn’t take long before the Wife and Kids stop being polite about feigning interest at them.

kayak23

What I don’t get is why some people seem to need to film every bit of even the most boring trails like cannock.

Erm…. 😆
    Filmed before the novelty had worn off, but virtually zero POV, so takes some effort on your tod.

[video]http://vimeo.com/49583087[/video]

But yeah, I agree that POV is mostly dull, but it’s nice to have a record of trails you’ve ridden.
    If you can be arsed to knock up something a bit more interesting (like filming yourself putting a helmet and pads on) then it’s even better.

Gopro have an awful lot more competition these days so I suppose that’s not helped sales much.

🙂

martinhutch

double post

martinhutch

The conclusion I’ve come to is for an edit to be engaging it either needs to show dramatic action, or something visually appealing, like some stunning scenery

The clips from the Norwegian ? lads on here about the multi-day trail in the states recently prove that point very well. About 12 minutes of just saying ‘wow’ every 10 seconds!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeXnLbwwbiU[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The conclusion I’ve come to is for an edit to be engaging it either needs to show dramatic action, or something visually appealing, like some stunning scenery

No this is one of the best POV videos I’ve ever watched 😆

Gnarly, gnarly, gnarly

[video]https://youtu.be/KUY2zdHevX0[/video]

martinhutch

Needed a bit of hard house to cover the squeaky, squeaky, squeaky.

“TIME TO SHRED!”

Northwind

The cheap ones have got usably good now and the gen 3 gopro was good enough that home users don’t have any real reason to upgrade any more so they’re past big growth, unless they can do something new

TBH gopro share price crises and triumphs mostly seem to be about meeting or exceeding investor expectations rather than whether or not they’re making good money. They literally doubled their revenue every year from 2011 to 2013 and nearly did in 2014 but that was never going to carry on. So you get panicky headlines and share price drops but that doesn’t necessarily say much about the actual business

nickc

funkydunc, that’s ace, where did you find that? 😆

gnarly!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member
    IvanDobski
    Free Member

Even the well filmed, well edited videos are generally fairly dull imo. By and large they’re usually free of any kind of narrative or plot and instead are just people riding. If the riding is much better than the norm and the footage is very well done then it sort of works without being in a wider context, Danny M for example, but otherwise they’re all just interchangeable and forgettable.

MrAgreeable

The best GoPro videos I’ve seen aren’t mountain biking.

http://www.clickhole.com/video/we-put-gopro-sparrow-2248

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soDn2puEuL8[/video]

colournoise

I actually appreciate that loads of riders just film the ‘normal’ trails they ride. Means there’s a decent resource out there if I ever want to ride somewhere new – there’s a fair chance I can have a look at what it’s like before going.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Question for home video gurus – I’ve got some footage that I want to edit(?) into a speeded up section, lets say 10hrs of footage compressed into 30 seconds. Is this possible with bog-standard windows movie maker or whatever normal free software there is likely to be on my laptop?

convert

I was wondering when this was going to happen.

I lost my gopro and associated ‘accessories’ on holiday last week. Initially gutted but on reflection my life will be no poorer without it and the reason I lost it all was because it was sat unused behind the chair where we were staying while were out actually enjoying ourselves and experiencing the holiday first hand rather than faffing around.

cheers_drive

I’m amazed at the amount of people who post up their ‘amazing’ ride a Thetford, if POV struggles to make a proper downhill exciting then it hasn’t got a chance on a flat XC trail

ollybus
    Free Member

Just like any film making, the edit is as important as the raw footage. Be economical, a 30 seconds to 1 minute edit of really nice stuff is way more engaging than 10 mins of tedium. Multiple passes (POV, follow cam and fixed camera) of the same section of trail with different camera positions then intercut between them. Use interesting camera angles, low down, high up, etc.
    Choose your music first and try to cut to the beat.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Why would you want to watch video of trails before riding them? Surely that’s the appeal of riding new trails.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why would you want to watch video of trails before riding them? Surely that’s the appeal of riding new trails.

To see if you want to go and ride them or not.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Question for home video gurus – I’ve got some footage that I want to edit(?) into a speeded up section, lets say 10hrs of footage compressed into 30 seconds. Is this possible with bog-standard windows movie maker or whatever normal free software there is likely to be on my laptop?

Yes, Movie Maker can speed up footage, but only up to 64x.

Microsoft Hyperlapse gives a pleasingly smooth effect to speeded up videos too (and it’s free):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52379

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs (bless her) got me one for my birthday in August.

If only I could remember where I put it……..

sirromj

I sometimes film my commutes – going through a bit of town and then adding in a bit of light XC to “spice” it up 😛

I justify it as capturing history.

Trimix
    Free Member

The marketing is great, we all buy one so we can be part of the “lifestyle” you see in the GoPro films.

Then reality shows itself as the film of your local trail somehow doesn’t look like a Brendan Semenuk edit in Canada.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmm, scary.. 😆

[video]https://youtu.be/uYAsGhQVmuY[/video]

Stevet1
    Free Member

Microsoft Hyperlapse gives a pleasingly smooth effect to speeded up videos too (and it’s free):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52379

Thanks very much for that, exactly what I was after.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Are sick edits going to keep dropping?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM