Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Are people who claim public transport is cheap, single and friendless?
  • rootes1

OP – have you got a family railcard?

aP
    Free Member

I do find it funny though, the number of people who (on a cycling forum) feel they have to justify why they need a car.

joemarshall
    Free Member

possibly for you – but as a company car driver I don't have to organise that lot
    I pay a set amount of tax on the benefit so the more I use it the cheaper each journey is

Is it really surprising that if you get a free car paid for by your company, driving might be cheaper? If your company paid for you to have train tickets, then it might be cheaper too! e.g. If you work for a train company in some jobs, you get free train travel. Would it be surprising to you that for those people, going by train was cheaper?

Joe

br
    Free Member

Is it really surprising that if you get a free car paid for by your company, driving might be cheaper? If your company paid for you to have train tickets, then it might be cheaper too! e.g. If you work for a train company in some jobs, you get free train travel. Would it be surprising to you that for those people, going by train was cheaper?

Free my ar5e, have you seen the amount of tax you pay, even if you barely use it.

Northwind

"so for my example [for me] public transport is around 400% of the cost of driving there"

What a brilliantly representative example 🙂 Can we get a train driverr in to say "I can get the train to London for free, in fact I do it 8 times a day, they even pay me, you'd have to be insane to drive a car!" 😉

tthew

Amazing isn't, that you can get to London by train for the same price as us – and we live in Buckinghamshire!But then how far in advance have you to buy those tickets, and how restrictive are they?

Bit of a delay, but yeah, those are super saver tickets, booked in advance for specific, off peak trains. No railcards or anything though.

Prices are crazy as a rule, they should be cheap enough to provide an attractive alternative. As a demonstration of pricing idiocy, including the local, (Hartford to Crewe) leg of one person's return trip to London I was once quoted an extra £150.00! Buy that ticket at the station on the day, it's about eight quid. I think that when you buy tickets that include more than one operator that's often when the expenses rise to stupid levels.

MoreCashThanDash

As a family, it is cheaper for us to drive into Nottingham and park than it is to pay for 3 of us on the tram (little one still free). And it is more convenient if you are doing a lot of shopping to have the car.

That said, had a meeting in Birmingham today – £14.60 return by train, plus £3.50 to get the bus into Derby rather than pay £11 to park at the station. Travel time of about 2 hours each way, against maybe 1.5 hours each way if I'd driven in. If I'd driven I'd have got 40p per mile, so roughly £100 with parking.

parkesie
    Free Member

Least my car dosnt smell of piss.

CHB

Catching the 06:10 leeds to kings cross tomorrow and the 18:00 back. £233 that ticket cost. Next time I will drive and stay in a hotel, its easier and cheaper.
    EDIT Of course I would really rather take the train, but at £233, taking the car is almost a protest vote against rip off fares.

Northwind

"Prices are crazy as a rule, they should be cheap enough to provide an attractive alternative. As a demonstration of pricing idiocy, including the local, (Hartford to Crewe) leg of one person's return trip to London I was once quoted an extra £150.00! Buy that ticket at the station on the day, it's about eight quid. I think that when you buy tickets that include more than one operator that's often when the expenses rise to stupid levels. "

Yup, I use the trains a lot, I'd sooner get a train to London than fly or drive or take the motorbike but the pricing structures wind me right up. One time I remember shopping for tickets, they were £60 that night, the next day I did it again and they were £30, 2 weeks later they were about £80. And then I discovered that the train ran from Glasgow via Edinburgh to London but it was cheaper to book from Glasgow to London via Edinburgh than Edinburgh to London! Genuine wtf. Privatisation's been a disaster for public transport in the UK tbh.

Nobody's claiming trains are perfect, anyone who does hasn't ever used them, but they can be very good. Glasgow to Edinburgh is a great example.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Least my car dosnt smell of piss.

*pisses in parkesies car*

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Are people who claim public transport is cheap, single and friendless?’ is closed to new replies.