Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Most inappropriate car right now!
  • bruk

Took my wife's car to work today as she is on call all weekend and I was only in today. Jeez it was interesting to say the least. It's only a wee MX-5 but feeling it skitter around despite the lightest right foot I've ever employed made me respect her driving it all this week bar tuesday. Worst bit was the mostly clear roads but with big chunks of ice occasionally to bump over.

Anybody else using something not really suited to the weather? Motorbikes or other rwd cars?

url=http://www.flickr.c[om/photos/32148338@N02/4260381466/][/url]

thomthumb
    Free Member

time to master the swedish flick! 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Based on evidence this week – any BMW 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

does that involve birch twigs and nettles?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Next door has a lovely new Type R (I have an older, slightly decrepit Type S). He tries to make progress by revving to the max. I have driven out the street and back 6 times since Thursday, albeit with minor slides, and he hasn't managed it once. Light sports cars with low profiles, fat tyes and revvy engines are not good winter cars!

Bet the MX5 is terrifying – rear wheel drive too!

pinches
    Free Member

time to master the swedish flick!

scandanavian flick 🙄

i had a reasonably interesting drive home in a tvr tuscan yesterday.

also saw someone out on a brand new 900 ninja (clown) on the same trip.

400bhp and 10" wide rear wheels is not helpful in these conditions.

tootin

BMW X6

zaskar
    Free Member

Use 2nd gear to pull away in snow!

onandon
    Free Member

My Honda S2000 is a joke with little torque (so revs required) and fat rear summer tires + no traction control.
    ah well, its fantastic the other 50 weeks of the year 🙂

dave_aber
    Free Member

I bet M3's are a giggle in this weather!

hora
    Free Member

Eh? My MX5 was ok in the snow.

sc-xc

second the BMW/RWD thing. Brother in law just splashed out on an M something or other…couldn't even get it off his drive. He watched as my sister drove off in her Ford Ka.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Its all about clutch control and acceleration sense or put your dancing shoes on so that you can feel the pedals. One technique is to actual curl your toes in your footwear whilst holding your foot still for the slightest movement of the accelerator.

hora
    Free Member

Or drive in barefeet or socks and use only your big toe to operate the accelerator and brake.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I tried earlier to retrieve my bm earlier from 200yards down my road. It took me half a hour to get it 300 yards away from my house and an hour to get it to back where I started. Little old ladies smiling at me cruising past in their Fiestas and Micras really was quite anoying.

flatback
    Free Member

my bmw is so bad it could not get over the sleeping policeman outside my house

dave_aber
    Free Member

You should have woken him up.

ton

empty ford transt long wheelbase.
    total **** crap pile of shyte, even on a flat surface with the threat of snow a month away……………. 😉

hora
    Free Member

My BMW is soo bad it has neon lights under the body 8)

Dudie
    Free Member

My printer friend is struggling with his Bentley Turbo R at the moment. Apparently he's scared to death of touching the accelerator 😆

LMT
    Free Member

My citroen is normally a great car, but the gear box is just plain dangerous in the snow, its one of those sensodrive with flappy paddles, so its missing a clutch pedal, and while its supposed to be semi-auto, unlike an auto you can't select the gear you want. To top it off the snow mode is a joke, does bugger all.

Haven't even bother to move the car in this weather, although have to go out tomorrow.

My other current vehicle is a Merc Vito, rear wheel drive (as i found out yesterday) but at least its heavy.

juiced
    Free Member

my little car is very light although it has reasonable large tyres for it's size. It's actually quite good in the snow.

bruk

Mmm any brownie points I got for letting her use my car would be lost if I binned the little MX-5 by trying the scandavian flick.

Pulling away etc is fine it's just that its so light that the very uneven surface of the ungritted roads makes it skitter around.

Why do all big car parks now have some 'furniture' in them. I have many happy memories of hand brake turning etc around in them when iced up years ago.

Strangelove
    Free Member

My Elise is pretty good fun on empty car parks.
    Less so on the road. Its not too bad to drive because it doesnt have a huge amount of power and I can feel exactly how much grip I have got. Just remember not to accelerate until pointing in a straight line.
    It is the other road users that scare me. Having builders vans and 4x4s sliding towards me while I'm stationary, knowing that if they hit I am going to be in a lot of trouble is not a great way to start the day.
    A couple of times I have had a car closer to my rear than I was comfortable with so I blip the throttle and the back end wags. They soon back off.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

This is fun in the snow, really get a grip guys, it only took me 20 minutes to get the 3 yards in to my parking space 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My TT is shocking – too low, too much power, stupid electronics taking over ( even with things switched off). But as above, it is great for the vast majority of the year 🙂

br
    Free Member

535i auto – still covered in snow from last week – not moving it until its all gone, lucky with have an LR as well 😀

jcromton
    Free Member

enlighten me on the Finnish Flick please.

Northwind

I've just not moved my motorbike since the 20th of December, getting it going is easy enough, but stopping it gets a wee bit more challenging :mrgreen: I've ridden it in the snow before when I've hard to but it's an absolute mugs game so it's benched for now and I'm commuting by mountain bike

santacruzsi
    Free Member

My Astra VXR is not too good, but glad I PX'd the BMW for it in this weather! 🙂

porterclough
    Free Member

Nice pic of Daresbury lab – I used to work in the NSF.

S90GAV
    Free Member

My Audi S3 has been nothing but a pleasure to drive in the snow 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

My willy waves well in these conditions too…

As for my honda aerodeathtrap, only got it stuck once, but seemed to haul it out with sense and patience.

MrSparkle

My Renault Scenic is fookin' shocking.

benjag
    Free Member

My panda 100hp is mint in the snow (and lots of handbrake!),
    saw a monaro VXR parked up on my ride today, best place for it!

Strangelove
    Free Member

My willy waves well in these conditions

Really? I would have thought it was too cold for that sort of thing

Russell96

A 340bhp hybrid Lexus, big problem is the electric motors 200bhp's worth in this case put out their maximum torque straight off idle so I have to keep my foot completely off the go faster pedal until there's dry-ish tarmac under the wheels.

deluded
    Free Member

Lexus IS 200.

Rear wheel drive. Unutterable rubbish in the snow. All other times – superb.

It made me look a right twunt driving off the drive two, three days ago. Intolerable.

samuri
    Free Member

My Honda S2000 is a joke with little torque (so revs required) and fat rear summer tires + no traction control.
    ah well, its fantastic the other 50 weeks of the year

The chap next door had a mate round last week who turned up in his S2000 and parked it up outside his house..

It's still there. 😉

I've seen BMW's spin right round on a straight road too this winter. I used to think RWD cars would be ace fun to own but I'm revising my opinion now. I can imagine anything with any power is a nightmare, especially if you're not concentrating and it's wet or icy.

hora
    Free Member

I've only noticed a handful of motorbikes over the past two weeks- all have had L plates on. Funny that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Most inappropriate car right now!’ is closed to new replies.