Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Are e bike threads going to dominate the forum and the future of stw?
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I thought it was just going to be a fad, but it seems they are here to stay.

So I guess my question is where does the hive mind see the market going? Will we reach the point where e bike threads are the norm and normal threads are in the minority?

DezB
    Free Member

Now, this is an interesting debate. I shall contribute to the discussion with a single word.
    Biscuits.

orangespyderman

Given that the most popular (at least in terms of posts) thread ever is the EU Referendum thread, I’d say no. E-bike threads will not take over. Bike threads in general will struggle… 🙂

Nico
    Free Member

Orangespyderman +1. Audis and Brexit will continue to dominate.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Would these be European e-bikes or proper English ones?

tall_martin

Maybe the derestricted threads will become more popular, Take over and everyone will get banned as a result?

maccruiskeen

We used to have a lot of threads about ‘suspension’ and ‘disk brakes’. Its a new thing and theres lots to discuss about whether to buy one or what works best for a given application.  So there’ll frequently be threads about them. People who already have the kind of bike they want for the kind of riding they do have little to discuss about them. Luckily theres a chat forum.

Drac

It’s all about Xbox this week.

DezB
    Free Member

Given that the most popular (at least in terms of posts) thread ever is the EU Referendum thread, I’d say no..

Ah see now, that is one single thread. EBikes, frickin hundreds of the things. All the bleedin same too. I see dominance by quantity as opposed to bulk. Although the actual bikes are huge great lumps.
    But, man I love them ebikes, I’d marry one and have regular sex with it if I could. Can you imagine how much fun and better than a normal wife it would be? Go on imagine. Now.

stevextc
    Free Member

We used to have a lot of threads about ‘suspension’ and ‘disk brakes’. Its a new thing and theres lots to discuss about whether to buy one or what works best for a given application. So there’ll frequently be threads about them. People who already have the kind of bike they want for the kind of riding they do have little to discuss about them. Luckily theres a chat forum.

This ^

scarlett
    Free Member

Everyone knows that ebikes are still just bikes, right? There will still be questions and conversations about suspension forks, brakes, dropper posts etc etc.

Personally I just avoid threads that are about things I neither know, like nor care about (Giants, Cubes, XC riding, Shimano drive trains….) and read/respond to things I do know, like and care about. I suggest other people do the same, if you don’t want to read threads about ebikes don’t open them.

As they become cheaper second hand and thus more popular it’s normal that people will post about them given that they are bikes and this is a bike forum.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thy won’t be called e-bikes for much longer. They’ll be called mountain bikes.

Drac

“Does anyone ride a 29in I’m thinking of getting one?”

“What’s with all the posts on 29in bikes?”

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

5thElefant

MEGA LOLZ

trailwagger
    Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahaha. No they wont.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahaha. No they wont.

I wouldn’t bet against it.

275 / 29
    Carbon
    1x
    FS
    Tubeless

All things that used to be unusual, often distrusted, fringe, ‘never catch on’ etc to the point you felt the need to use the label when discussing them, then they became the norm and now you don’t, it’s assumed to the point that if you have anything else, you might feel the need to mention it.

I don’t know if, as lots assume eventually E-Bikes will become the norm, they’re still very expensive and I think ‘Win on Sunday’ sell on Monday’ still holds true for MTBs, but they might.

You’ll know when the old way is dead when people start labelling it. I’ve heard Non E-Bikes called analogue bikes, I don’t know if that will take hold, but who know.

nicko74

Are e bike threads going to dominate the forum and the future of stw?

Nope. They’ll pop up more frequently in threads, and for some STWers they’ll be a godsend. But there’s a lot of STWers who think MTBing is all about the grind to get to the top of the epic trail, or who see the slog as part of the riding.

sharkattack

I’m bored of e-bike threads.

Can we have a thread slagging off VW van drivers? Haven’t seen one of those in a while.

Who do they think they are? Do they even realise you can buy a 10 year old Berlingo that would do EXACTLY the same thing?

chevychase

lol @P-jay – the difference between all those technologies and ebikes is the distinct lack of a motor.

Why is it that ebike afficionados insist that the existence of a motor doesn’t fundamentally change anything when it self-evidently does.

Hey ho.

baddddad
    Free Member

Thy won’t be called e-bikes for much longer. They’ll be called motor bikes

#FTFY

taxi25
    Free Member

Everyone knows that ebikes are still just bikes, right? 

Nope, quite different.

sirromj

A stitch in time saves nine e-bike threads.

chiefgrooveguru

“Why is it that ebike afficionados insist that the existence of a motor doesn’t fundamentally change anything when it self-evidently does.”

The weird thing is that the good ones ride like a normal bike with the motor off and like a bike with the world’s most ideal tailwind with the motor on. It’s hard to explain if you haven’t spent some time riding one.

timbog160

Yes they will dominate the future of STW but it’s ok because they all say the same thing so you only have to read one and you’ve read them all…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Are e bike threads going to dominate the forum and the future of stw?’ is closed to new replies.