Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are carbon bars worth the money? If so/not, which risers?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Think I’m probably going to have to bite the bullet and accept for the second time in a very short riding career, I have cut my bars too short! 😳

The ones on my ss feel perfect at 660mm though, so I’d like to get some that width. I figure it’ll be nice to have the same width on both bikes too.

So choices are the obvious EA70 or Deus (mk 3!), however I keep being strangely drawn to carbon bars – especially now o/s low rise options seem fairly common.

A few people have got some in sales so they’d probably only cost about £20-25 more than alloy ones, but are they worth it? Yes, they’re a bit lighter, but do they make any comfort difference if you’re running a suss fork?

If they are worth it, does anyone know what the Richey wcs carbon risers are like? Merlin have them half-price. Which others are good value at the moment too do you reckon?

Oh and yes, I am a bit of weight weenie! But then, at 7.5 stone I reckon I can get away with it!

Any advice would be very welcome – cheers!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh and by ‘riding career’ I mean – ‘mucking about on bikes experience’.

midlifecrashes

I bought a set of 660mm carbon mid-risers from the Cycle Promotions (sunday sales people) the other week for £30. 170g and look and feel good too. hang on I’ll go and look at the brand name.

Same as these, but £30. They have a shop in Barnsley. Only two rides old, but seem fine so far, what’s the worst that could happen? Mine are 25.4 clamp but the packaging says they do both sorts.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are good if you are a weight weenie, but I’d be well sceptical of £30 and 170g. I wouldn’t think you want cheap very light handlebars! I’ve got some Easton ones that were £90.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the Merlin Ritchey ones on my SS. Really like them visually and width / rise.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool, thanks vdubber – don’t suppose you’ve got any pics have you? Mail in profile if you’re happy to indulge me. Cheers!

mikey74
    Free Member

“what’s the worst that could happen?”

They could break and you could seriously hurt yourself. Handlebars are not a component you really want to scrimp on. Personally I don’t trust carbon handlebars but one of the guides in Whistler spent a whole season using Easton Carbon DH bars.

I don’t think you can go far wrong with Easton EA70s.

theotherjonv

there’s enough evidence by now that carbon bars from the reputable firms are plenty strong enough – both based on lab testing and real life experience. I’m not sure I’d risk my teeth on low cost alternatives without the same reputation.

I however have concerns – what about damage; for example over tightened clamps, etc., or crash damage? Fine for a sponsored rider who can bin them and replace for free, but at upwards of £70 a go, I can’t afford to do that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are carbon bars worth the money? If so/not, which risers?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM