Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Are brands worth it? clothing
  • benjii19
    Free Member

I’ve got a habit of buying gear I can probably get for cheaper, which occasionally i do.. but often I can’t resist the lure of an Endura MT500 Jersey or Endura Luminite gloves or those Endura Singletrack 3/4 trousers. But is it all that good? £60 for a jersey to me seems dear, but down at the LBS it’s a pretty average price same goes for a pair of £30 gloves.

I did get some Aldi winter gloves but found that the inners came out everytime I took my hand out of the glove, making re-entry very difficult. Hence the new Luminites.

I got some decathlon base layers for a £5 but to be honest they didn’t work that well compared to you guessed it Endura Transmission Base.

Am I a cheapskate or a brand whore?

What do you lot wear? Do you go for brands?

What’s your winter kit?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

winter kit is a mixture of bike brands and general clothes:
    Merino wool jumper (standard from tkmaxx), Altura waterproof shell,pearl izumi pittards winter gloves, army surplus goretex trousers, hiking socks and some old hiking boots.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just buy the cheap stuff cos Im not worth it.

£10 leg warmers off ebay. They work well. Fell off the other week and ripped one, only £10 to replace.

Gloves, the Aldi ones are nice and warm, just bought some planet X winter glvoes for £7 as they’re a bit thinner. They seem alrite

DHB Jacket is water proof enough but not particularly breathable. Dont really care since I dont sweat loads.

Usually buy those cheap retro jerseys off ebay for about £5 or so. Do the job and fit well enough.

Just spent quite a bit of money on some Giro Factor road shoes though. I hope they fit.

br
    Free Member

Am I a cheapskate or a brand whore?

Cheapskate.

If you were a brand whore you’d be buying Rapha/Gore etc, to go with your SuperDry ‘wardrobe’… 🙄

benjii19
    Free Member

If you were a brand whore you’d be buying Rapha/Gore etc, to go with your SuperDry ‘wardrobe’…

I own one superdry shirt £40! I wear it everytime I go out. I’m getting my moneys worth out of it. I do draw the line at spending anymore than £20 on a tshirt.

MoreCashThanDash

I really like high end kit – ime it feels and fits better.

I can’t afford it though, so buy whatever I can afford. What high end stuff I’ve bought recently has been second hand stuff off ebay

If you like it and you can afford it, buy it. Doesn’t matter what other people think, whether their opinions are based on jealousy or some hair-shirted martyrdom psychosis, your money, your choice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its not just about the brand ….. Is about the quality of the item …..

Superdry are expensive but i wouldnt class them as a quality item that lasts

Carharrt is expensive but it lasts well.

I buy my cycling clothes on the merit of the garment not the label on it . It must fit well , work well and be functional and not have a reputation for falling to bits …… Never again will i buy endura gloves for example …. But their mt500 shorts are ace.

clowner
    Free Member

Can’t fault any of my gore kit.

Got a phantom that is over two years old and in pretty much constant use and it looks like me ( well minus the oil stains).

Definitely think you get what you pay for with gore, certainly holds up better than my endura gear

sambob
    Free Member

Depends on what it is. Jackets are worth spending the money on IMO, although I’ve only ever had Mountain Equipment jackets for riding in as I had one before I started riding then got a warranty replacement. In the market for a new jacket though, so my decision may be different this time. Some brands are good for some stuff but not others, so I pick and choose rather than having all one brand. My Endura Superlite shorts are the dogs danglies, but that’s the extent of my endura kit. Funkier bib shorts are brilliant too IMO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

outer layers yes its worth it for waterproofness* tops or shorts NO. My aldi tops/shorts are no better or worse in terms of wearing or longevity that the branded stuff i get as presents IME.

* My aldi ones get more use but ts cold enough for the endura stealth now

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah but branded ones tend to fit better than the aldi shorts and tops , unless your aldi shaped

RustySpanner

Switched from posh Lowe Alpine Flywheel rucksacks to Alpkit.
    The Alpkit Gourdon are better & cheaper.

Switched from posh shorts to Aldi.
    The posh ones were better, but not £50.00 better.

Switched from Helly Hanson base layers to Decathlon.
    The Decathlon ones work fine and smell better.

Spend on shoes, brake pads, jackets, helmets, saddles and winter bibs – everything else is cheap stuff from Decathlon or Aldi.
    Deore for bike consumables.

Anything else just seems like a waste of money.

unless your aldi shaped

😀 Hello!

titusrider
    Free Member

Generally branded if I’m honest, I’m young and carefree so can afford it and like good fabrics and close cut stuff. Favourites are gore and Castelli

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

usually brand gear has some design consideration behind it, usually. So it should work/fit/look better. Generally cheaper stuff is copies or without much design. Sometimes the cheap gear works well, sometimes the expensive gear doesnt BUT generally / usually expensive gear works better and fits better.

A lot of the word general and usual in that paragraph! lol.

I like these phrases, nice things are nice to have, buy cheap buy twice BUT its not always true. lol.

PMK2060

I usually just buy aldi or decathlon gear. I hate the fit of their cycling shorts and bibs though so stick with dhb. I could not warrant assos prices as I am rarely on the bike for more than 2 hours at a time.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For me it’s mostly about fit and I do like stuff that will last
    But I don’t buy branded stuff for the sake of being “in”

My top tip for the day has to be tk max £8.00 merino jumper
    It was perfect today on the road bike

Junkyard
    Free Member

aldi stuff fits me as a skinny bugger though I did have to buy the womens merino to get the right fit

benjii19
    Free Member

I did see a jacket for £150 in the LBS…..no chance!!! I’d say £100 would be my absolute limit for a jacket! So far the Endura stuff seems to work for me. I do have some Decathlon bib shorts which are OK…and suprisingly my Aldi winter leggings are awesome. Plus I’m not scared of ripping then on one of my many falls.

Half the problem with finding stuff is I’m relatively tall and not built like a model..I need a medium that’s the same arm length and body length as a large.

ton

i try to buy stuff that i know is hardwearing and will last.
    i bought some trickers boots 17yrs ago, i had to replace them this year with the same boot.
    wife bought me a gore touring jacket 8yrs ago, i used it for 3 yrs treating it good, gave it to my son, who washed it with normal detergent for 4yrs, i got it back earlier this year, treated it, and it is ace again.
    sometimes buying a brand works i suppose.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Gore whore.

Looks good, feels good and performs well…….

Much like a whore then 😉

crazy-legs

Favourites for me are Rapha and Endura. I only ever buy Rapha stuff on discount, yes it’s expensive but it fits well, lasts well, I wear it loads and their customer service is impeccable. They did a free repair on a 6 year old softshell jacket of mine a couple of years ago and they have free returns/exchange/refund on items that don’t fit. In terms of value for money, it’s therefore very good.

Endura I just find to be a great mid-range brand. Not too flash, not silly expensive, does the job well. Some of their kit is a bit weird on the sizing but I’ve never experienced the quality control issues that they went through a couple of years ago with any of my kit. Had to chase them up on a jacket repair which they took their time over but otherwise pretty faultless.

doom_mountain

I mix and match cheap and expensive kit.
    I have some Aldi stuff wich fits and works well (windproof jersey and gloves) but my favourite pieces of kit are my Gore winter bibs (3 winters old and still going strong) and Pearl Izumi pro bibs( half price and still way more than I’ve ever spent on padded shorts!). Both are well made and fit really well.
    As someone already pointed out, expensive isn’t necessarily good… and I always buy my winter kit in the summer 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Latest purchases are all premium(ish) brand

Gore bib tights and Etxeondo Softshell. I have Torm sportwool Jerseys

I do like my stuff to be a bit more stylish than Endura, but I’m not prepared to buy Rapha for 2 reasons, the main one is price, and the second one is its too obvious and the quality and style are available elsewhere too IMHO.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Not a brand whore but more a functional whore-I buy the best i can afford in terms of performance ie for cold winter rides Rab Generator Smock-its now covered in patches and I look like a tramp but it still performs. likewise my Howies three quarter zip front merino base layer that they no longer make is darned up with some holes but still works and is comfortable. My Altura Attack waterproof shorts are grey and starting to look threadbare-but still work. When the kit is too bad to repare I will invest another £100 on another Rab Generator etc etc (hopefully by then Howies will be doing the zip front mens base layer again).

househusband

I think the law of diminishing returns applies… more expensive/branded clothing is, largely, better quality/fit but the the relationship isn’t linear.

Best quality cycling specific kit I’ve got is from New Zealand (Krank Dirtwear and Ground Effect) but also use non-cycling specific stuff too; Keela, Paramo in particular.

edhornby

I have a lot of aldi stuff for commuting because repeated wearing and washing will trash stuff, it doesn’t fit brilliantly but it does a job, wouldn’t want to do a massive ride using some of it tho – can’t lose with the socks tho

you don’t have to buy at rapha prices to get high quality stuff, go to prendas for really good quality bibshorts, ss ls tops and winter bibs etc. keep an eye out on CRC and the like for out of season kit

spend on the contact points, so shoes and pedals, shorts and gloves I will splash out on, the rest is all bargain driven

waterproof and breathable is the frickin holy grail tho especially with jackets and winter gloves

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Always go for quality in padded shorts/shoes/helmets/jackets.
    I have many, many Aldi/Lidl shirts/gilets/winter jerseys. Nowt wrong wi’em.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Its not just about the brand ….. Is about the quality of the item …..

Carharrt is expensive but it lasts well.

This. Wearing Carharrt cords today that are 8 years old and going still strong, same for Thomas Pink shirts.

I once bought a pair of £300 Gucci trousers that fell apart pretty quickly.

Garry_Lager

My second pair of superlites are ripping at the crotch in installments, like the first pair, so on a bit of an endura downer atm. Generally really like the design and fit of their kit but I think I’ll just use the jerseys and bibs from now on (which are good IME). Had consistent quality issues with kecks, shorts and jackets from endura over the years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have sombreo and race face sports going well after 8 years. Most of my kit is bought on fit. Seen a lot of cheaper stuff that just doesn’t fit right. You can buy carefully and still get bargains that last. In terms of shirts there is a long was between £20 and £50 my more expensive ones are much nicer to wear and have lasted longer. In many ways the price is a small part of the cost of ownership.

baldman
    Free Member

Not sure about brands, but for me good quality well made shorts are worth every penny – for me that’s Assos. I’m sure some other brands may be fine, but having tried fox, endura, aldi amongst others I wouldn’t buy anything else next time I need some more.

jam-bo

Quality is more important than price but in general you get what you pay for.

Most of my riding gear is dakine, outdoorsy stuff is arcteryx. Rarely pay full price and it lasts and lasts. Buy cheap, buy twice.

nickc

I tend to buy Endura and Gore. I know it will have a certain lifespan, be generally well made and fit me. I think you get to understand what works for you and what doesn’t. Spesh hemets, TL xc gloves, sidi shoes, endura shorts and 3\4s. Gore tops. Although I’ve just bought a windchill as opposed to a phantom, and it’s OK.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I tend to mix stuff which makes your realise (quickly) that low price does not equal good value. Understand the aldi glove comments above (as do my fingers when I stopped for some mint cake yesterday). Sometimes cheap stuff is merely a false economy. I learned this lesson with watches after my 5th swatch broke – blimey I should have saved the money and bought a decent one from the start.

The bike/running brand that does this for me is Gore. Always looks too expensive (and I only ever buy in sales) but lasts so much longer, fits better and does a superior job. So three “more miles’ cheapies for every one Gore doesn’t make sense in the end!

Buy less, but buy quality every time! That’s real value IMO

clubber
    Free Member

If only TJ were still here. He lived branded goods and could always come up with a good justification for buying premium brands.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I would class it as psuedo brand overpriced market tat for northereners, I.T. Bores on dress down Friday and people from Croydon.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah i thought superdry, was logo’ed leisure wear for chavs, a bit like bench stuff, big massive logo, look at me, i’ve just been fleeced.

mudshark
    Free Member

On my road ride last week two guys were chatting about their bib tights. One had Assos the other Castelli, discussing the price and how it was worth paying for good clothing. I was wearing DHB tights which I was comfortable in; I daresay in more extreme conditions their tights would work better. Trouble is they got quite snooty about it, I suppose because they’re roadies and around retirement age so happy to pay for such things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trouble is they got quite snooty about it, I suppose because they’re roadies and around retirement age so happy to pay for such things.

Sometimes it’s just dull when people repeatedly try and point out that you can get those cheaper/just as good from aldi (not saying you did just you were probably the 100th person to ask)

In a conversation years ago about headsets someone in a LBS said
    “You only remember the cheap thing that lasted longer than you expected and the expensive thing that didn’t”
    None of the middle ground, some cheap stuff lasts some expensive stuff doesn’t.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Depends how the clothing performs, nothing worse than wearing something that isn’t quite right.
    went for a slackers road ride today, 50 miles in just above freezing but the windchill when your moving brings that down even further.
    Had a baselayer and a castelli espresso duo soft shell and was never too hot or cold, it’s cut perfectly so it’s next to the skin and keeps the air gap to a minimum so it can wick and maintain warmth, the high collar means no draught, the sleeves are attached to a liner so the back doesn’t stretch when you are on the drops, the arms are not all baggy and a few zippered vents let a bit of air in/out if needed without being draughty.
    Didn’t pay retail but to me it’s worth the money as I can’t fault it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Are brands worth it? clothing’ is closed to new replies.