Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are all derailleur hanger extenders much of a muchness?
  • vlad_the_invader

Need a bigger cassette but derailleur is at advertised max capacity (yeah, it’s Shimano so I can push it a bit…)

Anyway, Wolftooth are 4x the price of the Amazon copies. At the end of the day, it’s a small ALU beam and two threaded holes…

I’m assuming my derailleur is NOT direct mount. Correct?

soundninjauk

I can’t speak for the quality of hanger extenders other than to say that personally I don’t really like encouraging the endless Amazon knock offs.

You’re right about your derailleur though, that’s NOT direct mount.

This is direct mount (not my image or bike).

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

The cheapo eBay/Amazon ones work just as well as well overpriced wolftooth ones, bought a road link copy and the longer CNC’d version for a few quid off eBay to experiment with a mates old bike, they work perfectly, impressed by the quality of the CNC’d one, why pay more.

fooman

I’ve used the cheap ones which work but often a softer alloy which can be bent too easily putting indexing out.

stevextc
    Free Member

At the end of the day, it’s a small ALU beam and two threaded holes…

You already answered yourself.
    fooman

I’ve used the cheap ones which work but often a softer alloy which can be bent too easily putting indexing out.

Yeah it’s a sacrificial part to the sacrificial part… 😉

susepic

Used a Sunrace very successfull with 9spd ultegra.

https://www.merlincycles.com/sunrace-rear-derailleur-extender-link-134836.html

ads678

I’m using an Airbike one and it works fine.

dirkpitt74

I put a cheap ebay one on my lads bike a few years back – still going strong.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I picked up an Enlee version of the Airbike one above in purple for £3 inc free p&p, eBay cheapo from china but CNC’d from seemingly good quality grade billet, it works great with 46t cassette, ridiculously cheap but took about 2 weeks to arrive.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

They are different lengths though, not sure how much difference that makes and struggled to find out.
    Eg the Air bikes one is marked as ‘long’ and is longer than the one in OPs photo.

Assume different lengths are for long/medium cages?
    I got the Air and while it works, seems to be a lot longer than I need and engagement is a bit off, so have ordered a shorter one to see what difference that makes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.