Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Apple TV..Zwift… and Spotify..did you know….!
  • DrP

So i’ve about twenteen things that run zwift now!!

My latest gadget is Apple TV 4k plugged into the screen in the kitchen (that’s where i do my zwifting!).
    I did use a gaming laptop, but at times it’s overkill, and the lad likes to game on it too!

I’ve only just set up the Apple TV and not used it yet, but… (and forgive me if you knew this)..

You can:
    -connect BT headphones to it
    -open and run spotify
    -open and run zwift.. WHILST spotify still plays!!

This was one of my main concerns – i wouldn’t have music AND zwift sounds..

Hopefully, connecting the BT headphones means i can still connect the turbo adn HR monitor via zwift, but all in it’s a pretty neat set up!

DrP

kevin1911

Hmmm, let us know how you get on. I think the Apple 4K TV can only have 2 bluetooth devices attached, which means that you need to use the Zwift companion on an Android/Apple phone/tablet to add additional bluetooth devices for Zwift. Not sure if this allows for bluetooth headphones.

DrP

yeah..will see – i understand that maybe it MIGHT be a limitation in zwift…

I found this online:
    “Apple TV can support several Bluetooth devices simultaneously, including the Siri Remote, a Bluetooth keyboard, headphones, speakers, and up to four Made for iOS Bluetooth controllers. To pair up a Bluetooth device with your Apple TV, put it in pairing mode and open the Settings app. Scroll down to Remotes and Devices, and select Bluetooth. Once your device appears, select it from the list and enter the pairing passkey (if necessary).”

I’m hoping it’s just zwift that only pairs TWO things….

DrP

zilog6128

I’m hoping it’s just zwift that only pairs TWO things

pretty sure the hard limit for ATV is 3 devices – one of which is always the remote, so only 2 other devices total (not just Zwift)

If you want trainer + separate cadence & HRM then you’ve no choice but to go through the companion app!

I always pair headphones to phone anyway, in case I want to change or pause music easily, or the rare occasion I use Discourse.

Cool that the ATV mixes music & app sounds though!

DrP

if you have spotify on ATv/laptop etc, and also teh same acocunt in the app on your phone, you can actually change the music VIA the phone app, but it carries on playing on teh other device!

DrP

zilog6128

Ah that is handy then!

belugabob
    Free Member

Just for the record, ignoring Spotify for now, if you want to connect turbo, HR monitor and cadence sensor, to Apple TV, you are not necessarily forced to use the companion app (which is good, as I found that route very flaky)

An alternative approach, is to use the 4iiii Viiiiva HRM, which can bridge other devices onto its Bluetooth connection. I do this with my Cadence sensor, meaning the turbo use one BT connection, and the Viiiiva use the other.

I know that this doesn’t help Dr P, but it may help somebody else

zilog6128

An alternative approach, is to use the 4iiii Viiiiva HRM, which can bridge other devices onto its Bluetooth connection

interesting, probably need a new HRM anyway – old Wahoo one broke & just about given up on trying to connect my Apple Watch to Zwift as I rarely leave enough time before a race to perform the voodoo ceremony to make it work properly 🤣

DrP

At work at the mo, but the anticipation of if i can get this to work is killing me!!1

I need to connect:
    Headphones – via ‘settings’
    Tacx Neo (power, control, cadence) – zwift
    HR monitor – Zwift

The key question is…Is it the ATV that limits the total number of BT devices, or is it ‘only 2 BT devices in Zwift’ ??!!!

DrP

MSP

On a related note, when I open spotify on my computer, then open or bring zwift to the foreground, spotify stops. Any ideas how I can solve this?

BlobOnAStick

Sorry to dampen your chips but it doesn’t work, not reliably anyway.

Apple TV has a max of 3 devices. One is the remote.

Annoyingly it will appear to work, but you’ll find that for some reason ATV juggles the connections and prioritises the audio connection. This means that 2 mins into a race you’ll suddenly loose connection on something else – maybe power meter, maybe the controllable element of the trainer etc. It means that ultimately Zwift becomes unusably unreliable.

DrP

oh bums!
    well, happy to use the companion app I guess…
    or music through the phone…

DrP

BlobOnAStick

What I haven’t tried is trainer/hr strap through companion app to ATV (one connection)
    ATV running Spotify to speakers (second connection)
    Plus remote.

I think once connected the companion app can run in the background and you can then use phone for discord/WhatsApp etc

pop-larkin
    Free Member

but if you listen to music while virtually cycling do you not run the risk of being hit by a virtual truck- be safe out there kids

Vortexracing

An alternative approach, is to use the 4iiii Viiiiva HRM, which can bridge other devices onto its Bluetooth connection. I do this with my Cadence sensor, meaning the turbo use one BT connection, and the Viiiiva use the other.

@belugabob

Interested in how you did that, as I have a 4iiii Viiiiva HRM and was trying to set it up on my apple TV, but could only get it to connect to 2 devices (either HR or Cadence) the cadence is a Garmin Ant+ one, that work great on my laptop or a Ipad via the 4iiii Viiiiva HRM.

I can get it to work via the companion app, but that’s not really what I was after as its another connection.

Any pointers to how you set it up would be very welcome

ta

DrP

So i got it working…
    Headphones connected via BT to the ATV..
    Spotify playing..
    Zwift open and running…
    But connected the trainer and HR strap via the companion app.

WHich is fine, i guess….

IDEALLY I’d like to connect it ALL to the ATV – i can’t see why it has just a 3 BT limit… dunno…

But it works fine…graphics are fine, and it’s nice to have less clutter in the pain cave/tiny kitchen!

DrP

belugabob
    Free Member

@vortexracing

Pair the cadences sensor to the Viiiiva, via the 4iiii app, on your phone.
    Disconnect the 4iiii app from the HRM.
    Disconnect the companion app from turbo, HRM and cadence
    On the Zwift pairing screen, connect directly (not through the companion app) to the turbo for “power source” and “controllable” the connect to the Viiiiva for both “Heart rate” and “Cadence”
    NOTE – Do not connect “Cadence” to the Garmin sensor.

Hope this helps.

Vortexracing

it sure does, plus a little google searching

NOTE – Do not connect “Cadence” to the Garmin sensor.

thats what I was doing wrong 🙁

Plus the Viii was connecting to the phone hence why i could not see it on the apple TV

all good now

cheers

🙂

TiRed

I think the Apple 4K TV can only have 2 bluetooth devices attached

Indeed, just the two – Which is a pain – HR monitor, KICKR and errrrr, no cadence sensor??? Bought an updated Apple TV for this, so annoying really. Might try the phone option as well. Previously I used an iPad and HDMI to the 32″ TV.

DrP

I’m fine with the cycling stuff as the tacx neo has power/ control/ cadence all in it… (I.e one device).
    Then the HR monitor needs a channel.
    I need the extra connection for BT head phones..

DrP

tonyd

Nice problem to have – Sufferfest/SYSTM user here and ATV app nowhere in sight 😔

I think once connected the companion app can run in the background and you can then use phone for discord/WhatsApp etc

Do people WhatsApp etc while riding? This is why I stopped using Zwift – I’m usually in too much pain to be sociable, let alone type messages!

DrP

If I’m doing a 90 minute zone 2 workout then I can watch films and make phone calls!

DrP

belugabob
    Free Member

@vortexracing – good news.

@tired
    – cheap option is companion app, better option is the Viiiiva

DrP

Possibly a daft question….
    What’s wrong with using the companion app to connect the devices..?
    I mean..it does what’s needed.
    No lag etc..

DrP

belugabob
    Free Member

@DrP – companion app works fine, until it doesn’t. YMMV – if it works for you,then it’s a win.

@tired
    – I just remembered that the KICKR has cadence built in, so you shouldn’t need companion app or Viiiiva

Vortexracing

I just remembered that the KICKR has cadence built in, so you shouldn’t need companion app or Viiiiva

didn’t know that, cheers

TiRed

– I just remembered that the KICKR has cadence built in, so you shouldn’t need companion app or Viiiiva

Mines a mk2. They used to package a speed and cadence sensor, so it doesn’t. The newer ones might.

belugabob
    Free Member

Mines a mk2. They used to package a speed and cadence sensor, so it doesn’t. The newer ones might.

Ah – good point.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Apple TV..Zwift… and Spotify..did you know….!’ is closed to new replies.