Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Apple MacBook Air
  • zokes
    Free Member

Well, I think I’m finally going to take the plunge with an Apple. So, as a lifelong Windows user, what am I likely to find most difficult, and what will I like? If I take to the MacBook, I can see my next desktop being an iMac of some description, with a solid state HD for programs, NAS RAID array for storage.

Main reason for the jump – after playing with a few friends’ MacBooks, I quite like the feel OS, and it does seem there’s very little out there similar to the MacBook Air. As for a desktop, it does seem that Apple do know a thing or two about monitors….

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a macbook air. Lovely bit of hardware. The OS is pretty cumbersome when you come from windows though.

I wouldn’t want to do any real work on one but for web browsing it’s fine (except the eurosport player which is really very crap on the mac for some reason).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(except the eurosport player which is really very crap on the mac for some reason)

Just watched most of the TdF on it and it was fine.

DrJ

The OS is pretty cumbersome when you come from windows though.

I wouldn’t want to do any real work on one but for web browsing it’s fine

Joke.

What do you find “cumbersome”. What “real work” were you unable to do?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The OS is pretty cumbersome when you come from windows though.

The perfect troll. Seriously, I take my hat off to you.

footflaps

Install Parallels and run a copy of Windows as well – best of both worlds.

NB OSX’s finder is no where near as good as Windows Explorer – that’s my biggest gripe with it.

pjbarton
    Free Member

Both my productivity machines (earn me money) are macs – very good for work as you basically never have unexpected downtime. My iMac’s been running for nearly 4 years, never crashed, only turned off for week+ holidays / moving house.

You’re bound to struggle a bit if you’re used to windows but it’s pretty intuitive – you’ll love it.

The new Air looks really strong – good processor now.

zokes
    Free Member

This bit worries me – it will be mostly used for work as I travel quite a lot. Possibly also for light photo tweaking / backup duties on holidays too.

Main work would be writing scientific papers and presentations, editing those of others, and maybe some stats / graph drawing if I can get my windows software to work in parallels. However, this I could live without by prior organisation i.e. doing before I travel. Also in teh long run this would be an issue for any windows machine, as work will no doubt upgrade versions of software, and I’m not going to be keeping up with this. (Reason I’m buying my own laptop which I will also use for work is that we’re tied to giant Dell desktop replacement laptops as our only option, and I’m not carrying one of them around!)

EDIT: for clarification, the stats / graph software I use and still have from student days is still just about compatible with current versions at work. As work will no doubt update to later and later versions, my student copies won’t be much use any more anyway…

DrJ

OSX’s finder is no where near as good as Windows Explorer – that’s my biggest gripe with it.

I don’t find myself unable to do what I want with Finder. On the other hand, using Explorer, I miss the ability to preview files, a la Apple’s QuickLook (or whatever it’s called). Saves ages when searching for something.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’ve got a macbook air. Lovely bit of hardware. The OS is pretty cumbersome when you come from windows though.

I wouldn’t want to do any real work on one but for web browsing it’s fine (except the eurosport player which is really very crap on the mac for some reason).

And suddenly this thread is a 10 pager in the making.

I was a stick in the mud windows user about 5 years ago. I still find Windows XP ok, but Windows 7 is proper backwards in just about everyway.

I do web design/dev and a bit of programming, writing, graphic design, and commercial photo editing and video on my Macbook Pro, so not ‘real’ work… seems to be alright for emailing and browsing the web too mind!

DrJ

The perfect troll

I don’t really understand the concept of “trolling”

Person A – [something idiotic]
    Person B – “you’re an idiot”
    Person A – “ha ha !! got you!! it was a troll”

Yes, very impressive …

5thElefant
    Free Member

Just watched most of the TdF on it and it was fine.

It stutters for me as if it can’t get enough bandwidth, but fine on my windows laptop. Very odd.

It does hang a fair bit too using chrome (which may be the culprit I guess).

This bit worries me – it will be mostly used for work as I travel quite a lot. Possibly also for light photo tweaking / backup duties on holidays too

I’m sure mac-people find it most lovely and find windows cumbersome. But when you know how to do something and it’s subtly different (using the ‘same’ software) it becomes a real pain in the arse.

DrJ

EDIT: for clarification, the stats / graph software I use and still have from student days is still just about compatible with current versions at work. As work will no doubt update to later and later versions, my student copies won’t be much use any more anyway…

You can rewrite it all in Python, which comes pre-installed with MacOS 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

what am I likely to find most difficult

The cost

and what will I like?

List too long to mention

maccruiskeen

DrJ

I think pj was referring to the mb air as limited for work applications, not the os

Depends on your work, I guess. My current work pretty much requires twin 30″ screens, so I suppose the MBA would struggle, but if you were, say, a writer of any sort I don’t see a problem.

Jamie
    Free Member

Switching 101

As for a desktop, it does seem that Apple do know a thing or two about monitors….

Just got a mid-2011 27″ iMac and can concur on that fact. In the interests of balance, Dell also do nice IPS monitors. not sure if they still do a 27″ variety though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

MBAs supposedly struggle at multitasking – i saw some benchmarking stats somewhere.

zokes
    Free Member

The cost

Nah, can afford that, and it’s actually cheaper here in Oz than W7 based ultralights by Sony and Samsung.

But when you know how to do something and it’s subtly different (using the ‘same’ software) it becomes a real pain in the arse.

Yeah, this is what will grate I suspect, but I do have an old laptop I occasionally use that’s only got OpenOffice on it, and seem to adapt well enough to it from Excel and back again.

Depends on your work, I guess.

Well, albeit slowly, I could just about manage most things on my now deceased EeePC; so I suspect the new MBA won’t struggle – it’s higher powered that the ‘new’ XP box that’s just been plonked on my desk at work….

rewski
    Free Member

Nah, can afford that

Job done, switch.

molgrips
    Free Member

On the other hand, using Explorer, I miss the ability to preview files, a la Apple’s QuickLook (or whatever it’s called)

Like this?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It stutters for me as if it can’t get enough bandwidth, but fine on my windows laptop. Very odd.
    It does hang a fair bit too using chrome (which may be the culprit I guess).

I would recommend completely removing and then reinstalling whatever browser plugin it is that Sky Player uses (Google tells me that it is Silverlight).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As for a desktop, it does seem that Apple do know a thing or two about monitors….

Their separate monitors (ie – not iMac) certainly used to be made by Dell.

I’m a Mac user (and designer/photographer) and run one – I didn’t see the point of spunking out another 50% on the price of a monitor to have an Apple logo on it.

Things may have changed in the last few years, but there were certainly separate monitors out there on a par with Apple’s for substantially less money.

McHamish
    Free Member

I had a Mac for two weeks once.

zokes
    Free Member

I had a Mac for two weeks once.

Good for you. Anything else you’d care to add?

youngwilliam
    Free Member

The Air is all but useless it’s a nice little toy, but it really isn’t a machine for work.

I work using a Mac Pro Desktop and two 22″ Apple display only using a Macbook Pro to take work to pitch at clients.

Finder not as good as Explorer…You’re using it wrong!

DrJ

Like this?

@molgrips.
    Yes. Is that part of W7? Or an add-on? I use XP at work and I never found that 🙁 (but maybe I just looked in the wrong place!!)

Jamie
    Free Member

….certainly used to be made by Dell.

I think that should be, both had panels from the same factory, rather than Dell was making the panel for Apple.

….only using a Macbook Pro to take work to pitch at clients.

How old is the MBP? As the new MBA has the same, if not better, bench results as a 2010 MBP.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2011/07/20/2011-macbook-air-benchmarks-are-amazing-outperforms-all-2010-macbook-pros/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/07/macbook-air-benchmarks/

DrJ

The Air is all but useless it’s a nice little toy, but it really isn’t a machine for MY work.
    I work using a Mac Pro Desktop and two 22″ Apple display only using a Macbook Pro to take work to pitch at clients.

FTFY

zokes
    Free Member

The Air is all but useless it’s a nice little toy, but it really isn’t a machine for work.

Really? It’s a dual core i7 Sandybridge with 4GB RAM and a SSD. It would be the most powerful laptop I’ve worked off, and I seem to be doing OK.

As said above, whilst less than ideal, I scraped by on a little EeePC with a few compromises until it died

youngwilliam
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you’re right on that one the Dell bit…

I only know this as I have an Apple Cinema display open in the studio needing a new inverter and the screen came out of the LG Factory! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

@molgrips.
    Yes. Is that part of W7?

Yep – not in XP. Windows 7 is honestly in a different league to XP. If you have’t used it you can’t compare Apple/MS fairly.

There’s a series of icons above the top right of the right hand panel that allow you to choose the view you want – icon sizes and stuff, and the preview option is there too.

Jamie
    Free Member

Zokes. Read the links just above to see Master William is a bit off in his statement.

Yep – not in XP. Windows 7 is honestly in a different league to XP. If you have’t used it you can’t compare Apple/MS fairly.

I use both, and the Quick Look function IMHO is better implemented in Lion. For one, you can preview all files, including preview live websites from links, it does not take up any screen real estate when not in use and you can live previews from spotlight searches,

…both do what the user wants though.

youngwilliam
    Free Member

Macbook air has no ethernet, tiny screen, paltry drive and If I remember correctly only one USB port no firewire…Ok so it’s got number and the Solid State Drive means it’ll boot in seconds but the overall usability and upgrade potential suck.

What on earth does FTFY mean in English?

Jamie
    Free Member

If I remember correctly only one USB port

It’s two.

youngwilliam
    Free Member

Jamie sweety, I’m not off in my statement it’s real world functionality not just the numbers quoted on the box you need to consider love.

DrJ

Yep – not in XP. Windows 7 is honestly in a different league to XP.

Cool. Hope my employer upgrades some time before the heat death of the Universe

Jamie
    Free Member

@William.

The Macbook Pro is/was considered robust enough for many work environments, including your own apparently. So if the MBA is, and not just on paper, more powerful than the 2010 MBP, then it is a bit ‘off’ to say it is a little toy.

zokes
    Free Member

Macbook air has no ethernet

Have wireless-N, never use my laptops on wet string

tiny screen

As I spend a lot of the time I’ll be using it in the back of a Qantas plane, this is its main selling point

paltry drive

256GB is fine for s/w and immediate files I need, and 1TB usb disks cost about $100 if I need more portable space

and If I remember correctly only one USB port no firewire…

I had a firewire scanner once….. And I think that’s about it! The 2 USB ports should be fine for my purposes.

Ok so it’s got number and the Solid State Drive means it’ll boot in seconds but the overall usability and upgrade potential suck.

Why would the usability suck? And apart from throwing in extra TB blocks in my desktop, I never seem to get round to upgrading any PC before it’s absolutely obsolete anyway.

Zokes. Read the links just above to see Master William is a bit off in his statement.

Sorry – seem to have got involved in a stupid argument on my own thread this time. Looks like I have no need to worry then, just need to get it, then re-learn how to use a computer for a week or two….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did someone just call my Jimmers “sweety”? Eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Apple MacBook Air’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM