Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Apple addict considering a PC! – replacing/upgrading a MacBook Pro 15 from 2010
  • molgrips
    Free Member

IA what was the problem with Windows Backup?

slowoldman

true. I’d go as far as saying it’s considerably better than a mouse.

Yes.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Still running a 2008 macbook

It’s had 2 new batteries , new keyboard , 2 new chargers , ram upgrade , new hdd but it’s still going strong

Bit like triggers brush

Had loads of windows laptops for work and they have all bluescreened regularly.

HP laptops have been the worst

molgrips
    Free Member

Had loads of windows laptops for work and they have all bluescreened regularly.

A lot of people’s problems with Windows seem to be what their work do to them.

chrismac

I am forced to use Windows 7 on a dell laptop at work and it’s awful. It’s only 18 months old and getting replaced this month. It is no longer capable of allowing me to change the format of a single cell in excel. It complains that it hasn’t got enough memory to do it!!!! It’s got 4gb fast, and I only want to change 1 cell.

My 6 year old I’m actually however is very happy to do whatever I want.

teasel
    Free Member

they are both rather boringly similar nowadays
    hardware wise: £ for £ the quality is very similar. People who say otherwise are not comparing at the same price range.

experience wise: nothing between them. People who say otherwise are just so used to one particular way of doing things that they forgot they had to learn that in the fist place.

just set a budget and buy what you like the look of. You don’t need anything special by the sound of it.

To use an oldish STW saying – full of win! and about time someone popped up with a balanced and real-world opinion on this. Hopefully folk will harp back to this thread whenever that awful tag team of Molgrips/Mikewsmith start with their crap in future threads. 😛

But seriously, when I looked at a replacement for an ancient Dell desktop I had no preconceptions and compared models in the £1300 range. At that time a few models available from Acer and Samsung almost took my money; they both had an aluminium case and both had pretty impressive screens, though not quite as good as the Retina. The one thing that swayed it for me was, for an extra £100, both Windows laptops only offered a 128gb ssd so it was a no brainer to snap up the 13″ rMBP with double the storage.

It’s a simple matter of what you need it for or what you like to use. I particularly like the gestures on OSX, they’re really nice to use – App Exposé and Show Desktop are particular nice.

wilburt
    Free Member

I swap betwen mac and pc all the time and dont see what all the fuss is about tbh. Its not like it was 10yrs ago they both run the same software and as long as you keep the pc clean of crap software work the same.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is no longer capable of allowing me to change the format of a single cell in excel. It complains that it hasn’t got enough memory to do it!!!!

That’s not a normal situation. Also, Excel is not Windows, it’s Office.

Sounds like your Work have not set it up well or it has a fault. I can’t help thinking that comparing work Windows laptops with personally owned Macs isn’t comparing like for like.

that awful tag team of Molgrips/Mikewsmith

Just to make it clear – I’ve got nothing against Apple. Seriously considered one for work this time. My problem is with Apple fanbois and flawed logic.

Windows is NOT SHIT. Your work IT dept may be shit. Your work software may be shit. Your laptop hardware manufacturer may be shit. But don’t blame Windows for Excel on your work laptop not working. That’s like blaming Ford for being stuck in traffic.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

OP, I’d go with a secondhand 13″ 2014 or 2015 MBP. Something recent enough that you get relatively up to date processors and small enough to travel with, 16GB Ram and at least 266GB HD.
    Have you checked out the Apple Refurbs?

mickmcd
    Free Member

dunno if anyone has mentioned bootcamp and dual boot a mac

or

HP ZBOOK 14″ job done weighs nowt and eats a mac alive power wise, lasts a full 12 hour shift too on battery, and about 700 quid cheaper than the very top line MBP

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Tedious fanboy histrionics aside, does anyone seriously think Windows 10 is inferior to OSX? As said above, they’re just different. There might be a few applications where one pulls ahead of the other, but there’s nothing wrong with either. Get the one you like and move on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that awful tag team of Molgrips/Mikewsmith

As bad as Mac fanbois talking out their arse about windows? Just correcting some of the bs

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Windows is NOT SHIT.”

Compared to Mac OSX, it is. Apple worked out how the vast majority of people really wanted to be able to use computers and designed an OS around that. Microsoft have forlornly been trying to play catch up ever since. And failing. I’m not even going to bother listing the myriad issues I’ve had with our Windows machines compared to our Macs, life is simply too short. I suppose if you really like messing about with techy computer stuff, then Windows/Linux etc might appeal to you, but if you’re a normal person and just want the thing to do what it’s supposed to, without fuss, then it’s more than worth the extra outlay on a Mac. As for value for money; I’ve yet to see any hardware truly match up to the quality of most Apple computers. We also have an old Sony Vaio laptop, which was high end when it was new, and that’s still working (albeit with a knackered battery). In fairness, the WinXP on that is ok and reasonably stable. But we have even older Macs which still get daily/regular use, which continue to chug along.

“Your work IT dept may be shit. Your work software may be shit. Your laptop hardware manufacturer may be shit”

I don’t have to worry about any of these things, as my Macs fortunately aren’t shit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but if you’re a normal person and just want the thing to do what it’s supposed to, without fuss, then it’s more than worth the extra outlay on a Mac

In comparison I took a fresh install of windows 10 on a machine, connected the internet and logged it. It found my preferences and settings, downloaded all the drivers and installed them,and the machine was ready to go. It’s not crashed, it’s not had a bad day. I’ve not seen a bsod since win xp and I’m working 5 pc/laptops fairly hard. Given how smooth win 10 is and how intuitive it feels I think some people are not even willing to try it.

Apple worked out how the vast majority of people really wanted to be able to use computers and designed an OS around that.

And if you pull out the stats you will see how they have failed to sell that to the vast majority of people, the use ‰ is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“downloaded all the drivers and installed them”

Sorry, what?

“And if you pull out the stats you will see how they have failed to sell that to the vast majority of people, the use ‰ is tiny in the grand scheme of things.”

On the other hand, Apple is the leading manufacturer and OS for tablets and smartphones.

I’m quite happy to pay a bit for a well-designed, fully integrated hardware and software package. You appear to be happy with Windows. But then, you may prefer McDonalds to decent food. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apologies its what you need to deal with configurable systems, not everyone needs the same hardware 😉

I have a highly integrated solution on good hardware, I work between mobiles, laptops and desktops with integration happening via clouds. I’ll pick up stuff on my phone, work on it on my laptop in a meeting and continue on the desktop when I’m on the office while playing with a pile of virtual hardware across many platforms.

Perhaps the food comparison is more along the lines of do you want your same burger served on an expensive plate by a fancy waiter, does that make it better?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Perhaps the food comparison is more along the lines of do you want your same burger served on an expensive plate by a fancy waiter, does that make it better?

No. Because the burger in question served by the fancy waiter has some unique qualities that taste better than the burger served on the blue/grey plastic tray by the bloke wearing cheap shoes, the cost of the burger isn’t really an issue when you consider the ingredients and how it doesn’t leave a bad taste in your mouth.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think the tractor/Porsche analogy was far better. Sums up both camps to me pretty well and I suspect both will be happy with their choice.

mogrim

I think the tractor/Porsche analogy was far better.

These days it’s more Porsche/Ferrari, similar performance but one screams “look at me”.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrils we understand you like Windows/Microsft and you knkw far more about it than most of us (me certainly) and probably more about OSX. However please appretiate that we’ve been hearing about how the latest windows is really great for 10 years or about the latest laptop/surface. The fact is we don’t believe it based on prior e periemce and we don’t care. Its like Nokia or Blackberry putting out a mobile handset press release.

@binners 😀

slowoldman

It is no longer capable of allowing me to change the format of a single cell in excel. It complains that it hasn’t got enough memory to do it!!!!

I’ve seen Excel complain about lack of memory quite a bit recently doing simple things like copy/paste or even starting. It has tended to be dodgy add-ins. Take a look in your XLSTART folder.

mefty
    Free Member

That Apple spell check is really coming into its own!

Mr Smith’s explanation of why he won’t change seems quite sensible. Likewise having used Windows for years now the time spent relearning a system is just a waste of time unless there is likely to be a significant improvement. I don’t think there will be as Windows works very well. None of my computers are newer than 2011 and they all run fine for my purposes.

I probably was one of the first people on this forum to have a Apple on his desk, 1987. They were great then but there were hardly free of system errors.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use both Windows and OSX equally. Both my MBP Retina and MB Air are dual boot via boot camp with Windows 10 and El Capitan. On both the MBP and Air I have had been in the position of trying to boot into OSX only for it to restart and reinstall itself without my profile. Restarting it has brought up my profile again and all has worked. The OSX has also lost connections to the server and needed to be reconnected too often.
    Windows 10 only problem I had was installing the Apple drivers that hung on the soundcard. After that was resolved I have not had a single problem in Windows and the operating system feels snappier on the same hardware than OSX. I like OSX but Windows has jumped ahead and if it linked up to my iPhone and iPad like OSX does then I would drop the Apple operating system altogether.

andytherocketeer

I think the tractor/Porsche analogy was far better.

These days it’s more Porsche/Ferrari, similar performance but one screams “look at me”.

Or Lamborghini/Lamborghini

One makes a very functional tractor workhorse, with 7sp gearbox, 3 low/med/high range and a 3rd gear lever for fwd/reverse.

The other makes a vehicle that screams “look at me”.

A Macbook, Pro or otherwise, is just a laptop.

As for bluescreen, I have yet to trigger a bluescreen or kernel panic or RRoD or equivalent on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, have not managed to trigger one on Linux for a very very very long time (easily over a decade). Oh… yeah forgot, my macbook that went thru 3 batteries in 3 years… I kernel paniced that a few times.

Macs just work… except when they don’t.

mmannerr

Compared to Mac OSX, it is. Apple worked out how the vast majority of people really wanted to be able to use computers and designed an OS around that

No. Apple designed graphical user interface with sound principles, employed extremely competent UI team and constantly refined the OS over the several years. Then they replaced the inner workings with improved stuff and binned the refined UI.
    Now there is oooh new shiny interface which is going towards tablet UI and hiding more and more stuff under shiny wrappers.
    Yes, I’m bit old and some of my OS X experiences are based on 10.1.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

A Macbook, Pro or otherwise is just a laptop.

With a touchpad that is yet to be rivalled by a windows machine.

Serious point….is there a windows laptop with a keyboard/touchpad that is on par?

Also, I am in no way a Apple Fanboy. In fact I have to cart my 2015 MBP off to get it’s display replaced as the anti-reflective coating has started to wear off.

….but dat touchpad tho.

IA

andytherocketeer

The only good thing about my Macbook touchpad is that it was one of the first to be in the same aspect ratio as the screen. Props to Apple there, but that’s not exactly a unique selling point any more.
    But it’s not shiney and aluminium enough for Apple’s image in Starbucks, therefore they made it obsolete and no longer upgradeable to anything modern. 1 CPU clock speed newer can be update to the latest OSX.
    Might try Win10 on that 😉 I bet it will be as ace as Win10 on something brand new.
    PS my Chromebook “just works” too. Oh and the eeePC (remember them?) still “just works”.
    Mac Keyboard was OK. All non-Mac copied it (including my Chromebook), and are all as equal, except for some minor differences in a few special keys.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The only good thing about my Macbook touchpad is that it was one of the first to be in the same aspect ratio as the screen. Props to Apple there, but that’s not exactly a unique selling point any more.
    But it’s not shiney and aluminium enough for Apple’s image in Starbucks, therefore they made it obsolete and no longer upgradeable to anything modern. 1 CPU clock speed newer can be update to the latest OSX.

Erm…ok then.

*slowly backs away*

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use Macs and Windows machines. Some things I prefer Windows for and some things are better on a Mac, but I’ve yet to use any Windows machines that comes anywhere near the genuinely ace multi-gesture trackpad on a Mac and find it fascinating to watch people using touch screens on laptops when (IMHO) the trackpad is a much better interface for a laptop.

For the record I think Word, Outlook and Excel on Windows are better than Word, Outlook and Excel on a Mac and definitely better than Pages, Mail and Numbers. I also prefer Windows Explorer to Mac Finder (I think I need to spend a few hours getting to grips with the Finder ‘cos in several years of using Macs I still find it a slow and cumbersome way to find/navigate files and folders on the Mac). Conversely Safari on a Mac is a much better experience than anything Microsoft have produced for browsing the web, but I’ve not yet used Edge/Win 10. I could go on but in summary I’d say Macs are ace for reasons that relate to hardware quality and “user experience” rather than out and out function.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I know it’s extra expense, but as a fellow Finder non-aficionado, I use PathFinder. About £30, cheaper offers from time to time, but scratches that windows explorer itch.

http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

Also, comparing Word to Pages, is like comparing an Pong to Witcher 3.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Also, comparing Word to Pages, is like comparing an Pong to Witcher 3.

I wish I knew what that means 😆

slowoldman

I’m always a bit bemused by the accusation that macs are somehow “bling”. They are not. They are well designed and manufactured and if anything a bit understated. They feel nice to use. I’m pretty sure that STWers tend to apply quality as a parameter when buying cars, stoves, axes, beard wax and possibly even bikes. So why not computers? As for the complaints about jacked up prices, the only Windows laptops that come remotely close in quality are about the same price anyway.

So really it comes down to what OS you fancy using.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I wish I knew what that means

It’s like comparing this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it0sf4CMDeM[/video]

to this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwe_WHARdc[/video]

I am trying to demonstrate that one is significantly more technically proficient.

I will now collect my coat, and vacate the premises 😛

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆 I see now

The more interesting observation for me is that Outlook on Mac is missing some genuinely useful features compared to Outlook on Windows, which is a shame.

MrSmith
    Free Member

As for the complaints about jacked up prices, the only Windows laptops that come remotely close in quality are about the same price anyway.

i priced up a dell that had what i needed including the essential 2x thunderbolt 2 ports and it was less than £200 difference. even if it was £500 difference i still wouldn’t bother as it lacked the crucial feature of running OSX

i still find these whole discussions amusing though as people can be so passionate about a computer (on both sides) and their purchasing decision is somehow wrong? i know if i was a bean counter with 50 sales reps out on the road i definitely wouldn’t be buying them a macbook, they would get the crappiest cheapest laptop that would get the job done and the money saved would go to my obnoxious 4×4 fund or a pointless wristwatch.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

or a pointless wristwatch.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did read that post.

From what I can tell, Windows backup features in W10 do meet those requirements. System image backup can be automated (or at least it could in W7) and is incremental.

Other genuine question then – what exactly is so great about the Apple track pad?

dragon
    Free Member

I always assumed Apple spent a lot of effort on the trackpad because they were unable to produce a mouse that functioned properly.

Most PC users I know just use a mouse, simples 😀

Why is anyone surprised a similar specced and built PC would be much different from a Mac when underneath they are all the same parts, probably made in the same factory. In fact when you think about the fact that Dell can produce and sell for £200 less then that tells you a lot about Apples profit margins.

MrSmith
    Free Member

is that what grates with people? somebody is making money from them?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Apple addict considering a PC! – replacing/upgrading a MacBook Pro 15 from 2010’ is closed to new replies.