Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone using a dropper post with a seatpost shim?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m looking at not replacing my stolen Reign and just using my one bike, given it has a 34.9 seatpost diameter I’d need to shim it out if I wanted to use a dropper post.

Is anyone doing this?

Cheers

Ricks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I am on my Pitch.

I use a Cane Creek shim which is nice and long and made of metal, not plastic. Works well. 🙂

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’m using a modified shim with my 30.9 i950r in my 31.6mm Transition Covert frame.

I believe the shim is a 27.2 to somethingorother shim that I sanded down so it’s about 0.7mm thick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Andelusion/Bike%20Stuff/IMAG0215.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Andelusion/Bike%20Stuff/IMAG0216.jpg

alfabus
    Free Member

got a gravity dropper in my missus’ pitch using a shim… works fine.

In fact, it is better than using a shim with a standard post because she hardly ever has to move it.

Dave

granny_ring

I’ve not used it on my scott yet but you can get a use 31.6 shim for 34.9 seat tube, but obviously that’s a plastic one.
    No idea if it’s ok for a dropper post but would have thought it would be?

cheers_drive

Yeah I use a shim with my Graviry Dropper on a Zesty.
    No issues at all on the metal shim, has a Use plastic one before and the post kept slipping.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Yep use a shim from 28.6 down to 27.2. I use the right shim specifically for those numbers and works fine.

grimey
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve got a USE plastic shim to fit a gravity dropper into my Blur frame. Its been absolutely fine.

Northwind

Aye, shim in my C456 so I can use my gravity dropper. Can’t see any reason not to really.

PolisherMan

I used a shim in my cove hustler. The frame cracked on the seat tube/top tube weld. So check the construction of your frame first, i would say. If you think about the extra leverage on the 4″ shim, with a “low” toptube it could lead to probs…possibly 😉

longwayhome
    Free Member

I need a plastic shim with my USE seatpost (25 mm).

It can slip with a quick-release clamp but a bolt up one stops this.

A bolt-up clamp is a bit of a drawback if you want to drop your saddle for descending but presumably that won’t be a problem with a dropper seat post.

A bolt up is also sleeker and you can put a length of inner tube over it to stop moisture getting down the seat tube.

BoardinBob

Shim my 27.2mm KS i7R on my Reign X. I’ve got the shorter length post though so the shim more or less covers the entire section of post that’s inserted into the seat tube.

bol

I occasionally used a shim to put my gravity dropper on my soda. I was concerned that the standard shim wouldn’t go far enough into the frame, so I bought two, chopped the lip off one and double sided taped it onto the dropper post below the other one to make it double length. Better safe than sorry if your frame needs plenty of post.

burmaboy
    Free Member

Yes, I used a 30.9 command post in a 31.6 seatube for 2 megavalanche races in the alps. I used a shim made out of plastic milk bottle. Worked perfect. Just cut a rectangle to size and shape. Never budged and didnt scratch the post either!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a dropper post with a seatpost shim?’ is closed to new replies.