Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone used the Tyrekey tool?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these?

Tyrekey

Just curious as my weak and feeble hands are rubbish at getting tyres on and off, particularly in winter.

richmtb

Nice idea, would need to be a lot bigger to deal with tight MTB tyres though

Tracey

I have the Cyclo Tyre Removal and fitting tool. Not had to use it much but when I have its been great.

richmtb

^^^ Why am I not surprised that its a Schwalbe tyre in the picture!

I’m sure they are all the wrong size

kennyp
    Free Member

Nice idea, would need to be a lot bigger to deal with tight MTB tyres though

True, though it’s more road tyres that I’m thinking of.

kennyp
    Free Member

avdave2

While I can change my road tyres easily enough without levers it might be different on a freezing cold wet day with numb hands – think I might invest in one of those. Also useful when you are riding with others and it turns out their tyre and rim combination is more challenging than your own.

whitestone
    Free Member

Road tyres can vary a lot plus they become slightly slacker over time, I’ll struggle like **** with a new tyre raising a lot of sweat and turning the air blue but a month later it’s on and off just using fingers.

kennyp
    Free Member

What I keep meaning to do is take the wheel into the house and take the tyre on and off every day till it becomes easy.

One of these New Year resolutions I never quite manage to stick to though!!

xcgb
    Free Member

That cyclo tyre tool looks great, I assume it can’t work with 20mm bolt through though?

CraigW
    Free Member

The Kool Stop Tyre mate / Bead Jack is a similar sort of thing. It helps a lot with tight tyres. Though it is fairly large, not so convenient to take on a ride.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the crank brothers tool. Small enough to take out on rides and works well.

stumpy01

I’ve never got round to getting one, but I keep meaning to get one of these to try;

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/?geoc=US

and also one of those Kool Stop ones just for comparison.

gwurk
    Free Member

Seriously?

Just make sure the tyre bead is pushed into the rim well properly to give enough slack to roll the last part of the bead over.

you don’t even need strong thumbs.

(Make sure none of your rims has a thick rim tape)

MTB-Rob
    Free Member
    stumpy01

gwurk – Member
    Seriously?

No, I was joking actually.
    I normally use my teeth. For particularly stubborn tyres I use my little toes as well…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Similar to the the OP,
    I got one of these shipped (I think) from Melbourne years ago. It’s great for those extra tight beaded road tyres.

tjagain

I used to think that with some tyres tools were needed till I was shown how to do it properly. Not used a lever since

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used the Tyrekey tool?’ is closed to new replies.