• This topic has 59 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Anyone used ao.com?
  • bonchance
    Free Member

For white goods I found JL 2yr g’tee (this is their own warranty on their sale) and willingness to resolve issues and pricematch – priceless 🙂

Most others call you up a few days later – to extend that warranty at cost..

I agree delivery is really important – but the 729 days after is where the service sizzle is for me..

BTW I’m in no way saying AO don’t or won’t provide good service – just a comment on ‘ok service’ and ‘good service’..

Jamie
    Free Member

I agree, bonchance, and I was more than happy with JL to provide me that service. However, if the earliest they could replace a broken freezer is 1 week. Then sadly, I am not going to give them the chance to prove themselves in the longterm.

Anyway. Owen just called, and AO just texted me, freezer is on it’s way and will be here between 8-12.

I will be giving ratings for delivery driver handsomeness.

drlex
    Free Member

Will the choice between offering freshly-brewed coffee or a mug of instant depend on his Handsomeness Quotient?
    *sets timer to lunchtime to check for updates*

cb

Co-operative electrical were also good when I used them just recently for the first time. Delivery slot of an hour and no extra charge for Saturday. Will be thinking about AO next time though – nice to have choice, usual default is currys! Currys extended warranties are reasonable prices however.

Jamie
    Free Member

Will the choice between offering freshly-brewed coffee or a mug of instant depend on his Handsomeness Quotient?

If he is very handsome, then I will turn the sprinkler on, and offer him a Diet Coke

jam-bo

*is dissapointed no-one got my blood type joke* 🙁

cheers_drive

Got an oven from AO this week, price was good and service was a level above the norm. Only negative was them ringing up to offer their extended warranty.

Jamie
    Free Member

*is dissapointed no-one got my blood type joke*

That was a joke? Oh my.

Only negative was them ringing up to offer their extended warranty.

There’s a reason for that:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/aocom-sold-179m-in-extended-warranty-agreements-9171446.html

GrahamS

Are extended warranties really worth it? Can’t say I’ve ever taken one out as they always seemed like a mug’s game to me so I’m surprised at so many folk singing their praises.

All electrical goods gets a two year warranty anyway under EU rules don’t they?

And the Sale of Good Act covers you for up to six years if something fails before you’d reasonably expect it to.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/feb/05/how-long-electrical-goods-guaranteed

Jamie
    Free Member

To extend the regular manufacturer 2yr warranty to 5yrs costs £125 with D&G. So just over £40 a year for the final 3yrs. For me, personally, having on site repair a hassle free phone call away is worth it. As even with SOGA, you will still have to prove that the fault was pre-existing.

…or whatever this badly written paragraph from the Guardian states:

However, SOGA provides cover for goods bought for up to six years – in England and Wales. This means if a TV fails after 13 months, you still have rights. Assuming the item has failed through no fault of yours, and it was “reasonable” to expect it to last longer – given its cost/quality – you should demand, under the Sale of Goods Act, that it be replaced or repaired by the retailed, not the manufacturer. Once the item is six months old, the onus is on you, the consumer, to show the item failed as a result of a manufacturing fault.

Anyway.

Tick-Tock, AO. Tick-Tock.

jam-bo

That was a joke? Oh my.

yeah i know. i’ll stick to the day job…

Jamie
    Free Member

yeah i know. i’ll stick to the day job…

Don’t cell yourself short. I will plasma faith in you putting a positive spin on this.

GrahamS

Guess it depends what you are buying and how essential it is, but most of the freezers on the ao site seem to be under £300 so it just seems a bit extravagant paying nearly 50% of the initial cost on the off chance that something goes wrong which isn’t covered by SOGA in a three year window.

As even with SOGA, you will still have to prove that the fault was pre-existing.

True, but if a freezer breaks down within the first five years then that is not reasonable and not fit for purpose. I can’t see how that would be anything other than a manufacturing fault, unless you do something daft like install it incorrectly or pour water over it (in which case your warranty is probably invalid anyway).

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends on the freezer type. The upright freestanders breakdown is:

The extended warranty, in my case, is just under 20% of the value.

I agree that paying anything near 40-50% of the value for extended warranty is silly.

GrahamS

So has it arrived yet? I can’t bear the tension.
    Will there be a live-feed of the unboxing?

Jamie
    Free Member

So has it arrived yet? I can’t bear the tension.

Nothing yet. I have a Ocado* delivery coming 11-12. I guarantee you they will come at the same time.

*They do nice frozen chicken and loo roll.

GrahamS

What sort of warranty do you go for on the loo roll?
    Does it cover wear and tear?

Jamie
    Free Member

Forgot to update this.

AO delivered when they said, which was 20 hours after ordering.

Delivery team, 3 of them, was well presented, and professional. They also rang/texted in the morning to give me the heads up on a 2 hour slot. They told me on 2 separate occasions to let the freezer settle before switching on, checked it was all level and then took all the packaging away.

Conversely, John Lewis took 8 days to just come and collect their pile of shite freezer.

DezB
    Free Member

give me the heads up on a 2 hour slot

Sounds good. Quite surprised they were American.

Jamie
    Free Member

Dezb:

Sounds good. wah wah wah

Good point, well made.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used ao.com?’ is closed to new replies.