Anyone Use Alligator Discs???

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone Use Alligator Discs???

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone Use Alligator Discs???
  • Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

A number of people on Weight Weenies use them and claim they’re good. Aren’t the gold ones allegedly ti nitrided? A low friction coating for your disc rotors, sensible…

tinsy

Be interested in this myself, they look like they might cause judder, not much braking surface left after all the holes in them.

I like the colour too, I think it only stays on the spokes of it, bound to be silver on the braking surface after a ride or two.

I bought an Aztec rotor that was similarly hollowed out for weight saving/fashion but it juddered bad and I took it off.

righty

I’ve got the gold 180’s front and back, they look great, are very light and work perfectly, and they are pretty cheap. what more can you ask! :mrgreen:

tinsy

Cant ask more than that, no buzzing or judder? Was I right about the gold not supposed to stay on the braking surface?

Timmo

Am thninking of some new discs as both of mine have a slight warp to them and keep getting drawn to the alligator discs, Maily becuase i’m a bike tart and the gold ones have a strong appeal but before i go for them i am trying to find some users fo them!!
    does anyone use them or know of anyone that does for some feedback??

many thanks in advance!

Timmo

righty

of course the gold wears off after time- not as quickly as you would think and I haven’t noticed any juddering and I paid about £34 posted off ebay for 2

Timmo

thats about the price i have seen for them too! coupleof quid more gets the newer design, just thought as they were cheaper than the std hope ones might be worth a chance!
    i saw that the gold comes of the surface after a while which is to be expected, has come off the inside of the chain a little too 9kmc X9L gold), my head says the silver ones but the Bike tart deep down shouts the Gold baby all the way! hahah! think could be ordering them a little later!

Thanks guys!

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

The gold ones look pants! Chains and rotors.

richc

I have some silver ones and they are fine, I’ve not noticed drop in power or judder mind you I am running juicys so they have tons of power to start with.

Timmo

njee – what if its all on a bling bike?? all carbon, gold chain, red jockeys, chainring bolts, stem, etc. gold discs would finish it off nicely!!

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

No, gold looks tacky. Carbon stuff fine, coloured jockey wheels just about, coloured bolts can be alright as long as there’s some consistency and it’s not too colourful otherwise. Stems should be black or white.

tinsy

Nah, buy what you like, its your bike, and for each person who thinks its tacky another will like it in equal ammounts. Personalizing a bike is just an extension of yourself…

I got a gold, Ti, carbon laden one myself…. But then I am an Essex boy.

Premier Icon tootallpaul
    Subscriber

I got em and they are good. Light, no judder, and look the b’s.

:o)

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Obviously, they wouldn’t make them if people didn’t buy them.

Ti’s fine, just gold that’s not, and some things like grips and tyres shouldn’t be coloured, ever.

IMO

tinsy

Mines like a window display in Tiffany… Bloody lovely. 🙂

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Sounds hideous.

tinsy

ha ha, bet you got a matt black frame…

Timmo

the bolts, stem and jockeys on mine all match colour wise, the gold chain just sets it off over!
    without other peoples opinions the world would eb aboring place! and i appreciate what your saying,
    But gold chains Rock hahah! (and you can use the spare links to make a gold chain bracelet for your wrist! Biker Bling baby! )

tinsy

Exactly my point, its yours do what you want with it… (the bracelet is pushing it though!)

Timmo you got a picture of the gold and red together? It doesnt sound like my cup of tea to be honest but wouldnt mind seeing it, hard to tell without.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

ha ha, bet you got a matt black frame…

I’ve got a satin lacquered carbon frame with red bits. Would’ve preferred gloss, but hey.

Timmo

pic from when new and installed

and of overall to give you an idea why i think the gold discs would look good!!

considering a hope red seat clamp too instead of the black one???

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Jesus H, look at your saddle, why didn’t you just buy a bike the right size?

Timmo

its a 19 1/2″ frame and i’m a 6ft person wouldnt say its the wrong size, saddle is set back as i have a longer body to legs and is the most comfortable position i have found with it,
    the Saddle is remarkable comfy!! carbon shell on ti rails, flex’s nicely under bodyweight after a coupl eof rides you dont notice it!

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Yes I mean the 9″ of layback you have, not the actual saddle, agreed SLRs are perfectly comfy. I prefer the Toupe, but it’s more fragile.

Timmo

Ah now the post was an Ebay Bargain! Brand new fsa K-force 27.2 minus seat clamp section £6.72!! seat clamp unit gratis from FSA head office! £90 post for £7!

the whole bike build has been done on ebay normally in the silly hours hence the bargains! 😉

saddle isnt an SLR but a pure carbon shell

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I used a C64 on the road for a while and found it too slippery, wouldnt fancy a bare carbon saddle on the MTB!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Use Alligator Discs???’ is closed to new replies.