Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone Tried Fixing Leaky Shimano Brakes?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone Tried Fixing Leaky Shimano Brakes?
  • Wiksey
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of sets of old Shimano brakes that are doing the standard leaky rear caliper thing. I was wondering if anyone had tried the replacement pistons and seals available via evilBay?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222598568496

Worth a shot or put the 6 quid towards some new brakes?

Fat-boy-fat

About time somebody did spares. Please let me know how you get on if you try them.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

no, but a disassembly, clean and very careful removal of corrosion from the caliper bores fixed the leak on mine

colin9

Interesting. I have not tried but would like to know if they work.

oliverracing

Very tempted, got some in my basket waiting for me to commit!

moonboy
    Free Member

I just bought some deore calipers and shoved them on, was easy.

daern
    Free Member

Never bothered – just swapped the calipers. Or the whole brakes, more often than not. Good luck though :)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Daern and moonboy said, the callipers are mostly identical anyway.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thread a while back that attributed the leaks to the o ring on the oil port where the two sides of the calliper join? It might be worth replacing that too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres some awesome chinglish on the e-bay description.

1. contact to make the film using high temperature insulation materials, can rely on heat 300 degrees Celsius, heat and reduce the heat attenuation;
    2. Surface four groove air hole design, can reduce the heat transfer contact area, increase the air shuttle, which will help to heat;
    3. The back of the depression design, the oil thrust concentrated in the central, so that the piston and the ring concentric activities;

:lol:

Wiksey
    Free Member

Looking through my spares boxes I have an old caliper that I swapped out for the same leaky reason. I’ll probably start by trying to open that up first and see how easy it is to strip down. If I can get at least one complete set of working brakes it’ll save me some cash :-)
    I’ve also got a set of unused LX (old M585s from pre-SLX days) levers and hoses. Are these still OK with more modern Shimano calipers?

captmorgan
    Free Member

The o ring thread I mentioned

Leaking Shimano Calipers – possible solution

Wiksey
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Capt.
    I think for £2 for 10 of those o-rings and £6 for a set of replacement pistons and seals it’s worth a shot at trying to get a set of brakes working as opposed to nearly £250 for a new set of Hopes instead.

oliverracing

If someone does buy this can they let us know if it is in fact “Package included: 1Pcs piston and 1Pcs Sealed” for the £5.99 or 2 pistons and 2 seals a enough to do a full caliper? If it’s only one then £12 per caliper is still a cheap fix but a bit more of a commitment for a full bikes worth if it doesn’t work!

EDIT: a review from aliexpress shows it to be one piston and one seal, so for a full bike you’ll need 4 of these

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Any chance for leaking shimano lever spares?

nixie

There should be enough spare levers floating around from broken calipers ;)

stevied
    Free Member

What’s a brake ‘PISTION’?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    The o ring sorted my BR785 calipers out.
    No noise so far!
    Thanks Max

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Tried Fixing Leaky Shimano Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.