Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone running Vorsprung Traction Tuning on a RS Super Deluxe
  • carlos
    Free Member

Shock is going to be serviced in the near future and thinking of having the traction tuning done at the same time. Can’t really fault the shock as it is, I quite like the set up I have got with it, and as I ride lots of different types of terrain, some fast, some slower, techy stuff, flowy trails and obvs road to link it all up, I know there will be a little compromise somewhere.

It’d be on a 2020 Bronson, riding The Peak, Wales, The Lakes, foreign trips to Alps, Andorra, Spain, Italy etc.. I’d say I’m defo more an aggressive rider who likes a good mix of natural fast trails and steep slow techy stuff. Im not afraid of reasonable drops (8ft or so) and quite like a bit of air time. I don’t do Trail Centres as too much decent local stuff about.

In short, have you had it done and did you think it was worth it? How is it better?

Cheers
    Carlos

carlos
    Free Member

Anyone ??

superfli
    Free Member

I had my Super Deluxe Tractiv tuned when I got the shock serviced on my old Transition Patrol Carbon. TBH I wasnt very impressed. Couldnt feel much difference to what the shock felt previously and also it squelched a little + had slight knock. Was told by TF that this was normal due to air+oil moving between chambers I think? I complained again and they took shock back and told me there was scoring inside. They then replaced with new inards. Still not really much better.
    I was disappointed as I’ve done a number of Vorsprung upgrades and been very impressed with all – Corset, Luftkappe, Smashpot all excellent.

I wouldn’t bother is my opinion. Get a coil 🙂

impatientbull

I’d consider the MegNeg as an alternative. I have it on a Bronson v3 and it has really improved the progression of the shock. Before I fitted it I struggled to find a balance of a supple early stroke and bottom out support.

carlos
    Free Member

I’d consider the MegNeg as an alternative

Ah, should’ve said in the OP really. I’m already running a MegNeg and yes it improved the overall feel. Interested to see if the VTT is better again (apparently not according to Superfli)

spoonmeister

From reading your opening post, and what I understand about the Tractive Tuning, I doubt you’ll get much from it. The advantage of it is the scope for custom tuning so unless you know what you’re after (and how to explain it) you may not see much improvement, especially as you like the setup you have.

Maybe give TF/who you’d use a call and have a chat with them.

GolfChick
    Free Member

@oscillatewildly to the forum, maybe!

carlos
    Free Member

@oscillatewildly to the forum, maybe!

LOL, forgot Dave had his done. He had a Cascade too iirc but think he’s now moved away from SC

GolfChick
    Free Member

I know he got rid of the cascade link but didn’t realise he’d left the SC brethren?!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Dave has still got his Hightower Carl but no Cascade linkage.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Howdy Carl

Yep I’m still on SC 🙂

Still running a tractive tune, and I ditched the CC Link now too so solely just a TT with no megneg

For me personally being relatively light it’s worked well, it’s got a much better overall feel to it, traction is the main thing it feels more grippy and less like it wants to buckaroo you around

It works better on roots and things like that at slower speed and it feels more composed on rougher stuff at higher speed

The cascade link was good alongside it in terms of even more grip, but had some downsides, it made the bike feel much lower, and chain stays were 5 or 10 mm longet (I can’t remember exactly) it also took a bit of fun out of the bike too and almost made it feel sluggish on some stuff, but if it was balls out trails everyday the cc link and tt would be perfect combo

It’s been fit and forget I’ve not had to touch it since Rick did it and it’s consistently felt good to me, it won’t transform it into a x2 type shock if that’s what your after but it gives off some advantages over the normal tune without any (that I can tell) downsides, it likes to be ridden harder to really notice the major benefits of the tune over the stock tune

All that said if your having it serviced it’s cheaper to get it done then so for me I’d say go for it, as it’s tuned to you and your weight it should generally then be set and forget

It won’t make it coil like or x2 like but it’s as good as your going to get a SD ultimate to feel in my eyes, plus you still keep that light playful feel of the stock tune

This is on HT v2 so essentially same bike but in 29 and obvs I came off a bronson to it which in my mind the shock feels pretty much the same as I remember so I’m comparing apples to apples having had both if that helps

I’ve heard a few people say they haven’t noticed a diffrence tho, then reported back and said once you get rowdy it becomes more noticeable ( I know you like to ride hard so this will likely suit you for that alone) but I personally still noticed a overall difference as a package

The climb switch is no longer a lock out (if that bothers you) but not noticeable for me on 29er wheels as the HT climbs great open, and if I’m doing techy climbs the climb switch works better than the original as it’s still got some movement and tracks the ground much much much better than just being locked out

Having had it 6 months or so now I would recommend it, I tried it alone without the Cc link and never put the Cc link back on so that says it all really spit must offer something otherwise I wouldn’t have been happy and stuck the link back on even for the minor few issues that gives

All in all It added all the playfulness back but still gave me much better performance over pretty much everything than the original tune

Sorry if just waffling 😅 any q’s fire away

carlos
    Free Member

Hi Mate,
    LOL, your like the Candyman (mention you 3 times and you pop up). I thought you left SC with selling the link, but obvs still on the HT.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I know you like what you like and know what your’re on about. Nice advantage as you’ve ridden with me so also know what I ride like too.

I’m torn tbh. Shock is due a service and this is the perfect time to have the TT done, but as I said in the 1st post, I do quite like the setup I currently have but would like to improve it a little across the board. I’ll give Rick a ring and have a chat with him about booking it in for a service anyway and ask him about the TT again.

Cheers mate and take it easy

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hey Carl

Haha yeh my ears were burning 😆

No worries at all, tricky one if your happy with how it is, it’s a bit of a risk if your totally satisfied with how it is now, but I really don’t think you’d lose anything if you did it really, unless it doesn’t work to well with the megneg (ask Rick as I’m not sure about that at all)

But totally understand tbh the tunes on the SC lower link super deluxes are pretty damn good as a starting point, there’s not too much adjustments needed to get them feeling really good as you have found

I’m happy with mine with the TT it’s helped with the rougher stuff to feel smoother and has helped it feel a bit more supple at the start of travel (although obvs not done much hard riding in lockdown at all) but I’m sure up lakes/north wales etc where you go you’d get more out of it

Have a chat see what he thinks either way I think you’ll either carry on being happy or get it done and be happy I don’t think you’ll notice anything negative if you do from my experience

You take it easy too, maybe catch you up macc soon when allowed to travel again 👍

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Vorsprung Traction Tuning on a RS Super Deluxe’ is closed to new replies.