Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone running 11-46 XT cassette with XT Mech without an adapter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone running 11-46 XT cassette with XT Mech without an adapter
  • HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Anyone running this combo without a goat link adapter or similar?

XT rear mechs are rated as max 42, anyone successfully using one with 46?

Note, I have a 3mm boost spacer so cassette is 3mm further away from the mech, which may help

I know the SLX is rated at 46t so should I just go for that instead

benpinnick

M8000 XT mechs work fine 46T and shimano have since updated the specs to reflect that.

jdavidge
    Free Member

I am and I didn’t need any adaptor just b screw adjustment. I think it might depend on hanger length/position meaning some  bikes it wouldn’t be any good.

Fine with 1×11, 46tooth on a Scott Spark 2009!

mariner
    Free Member

Not quite sure what the question is but have a look here

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.0?types=mtb&cid=C-432&acid=C-435

11-46t is shown as 1x.

Do you just need a longer RD?

sillyoldman

All M8000 mechs are rated as being compatible with 11-46. GS and SGS both fine.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Thanks

Nearly everywhere selling the rear mech lists it as 42max. Guess it’s just old copy on their pages

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-xt-m8000-shadow-11-speed-rear-derailleur-EV249145

catfood
    Free Member

I recently ordered an XT groupset from my LBS (worked out as cheap as online) with an 11-46 cassette, they actually swapped out the XT cassette for the Sunrace one for me as I wanted a smoother spread of gears near the top end, works fine, they ordered an SGS mech as they said that`s what Shimano recommend for 11-46, no goatlink or anything else required.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

isnt the 42t max, between the smallest 11t and largest 46t so its only using 35T, thats how its read on other rear derailleurs

Mister-P
    Free Member

That relates to the capacity figure.  The GS mech has a capacity of 39T so at a difference in sprockets of 35T you are well within capacity.

papamountain
    Free Member

Yep. Using a Sunrace 11-46 with an XT GS (med cage) mech no probs.

MadBillMcMad

Slightly bizarrely you want the medium cage rear mech.

The long cage is meant for 2x and I believe is not rated to 46 where as the medium is.

catfood
    Free Member

I was a bit peeved when I found the LBS got me an SGS cage as I thought SG was supposed to work better but they said that’s what Shimano advised (SGS is rated to 46 teeth on the Shimano site as well as the SG), I was in a different LBS the next day and the mechanic there also said he’d fit a long cage on the 11-46, looks slightly ungainly tho.

dhrider
    Free Member

Medium cage is all that is needed for a 1x set up with 46t cassette.

Long cage is for 2x.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

All fitted and working sweet with a medium cage.

Thanks all

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running 11-46 XT cassette with XT Mech without an adapter’ is closed to new replies.