Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone ridden Freiburg/Germany?
  • strike
    Free Member

Wondering how much riding is there and if there’s enough for 2-3days, unsupported i.e. riding without a guide?

ransos
    Free Member

Took my gravel bike there last summer. Lots of nice trails in the forest, most of which are fine on a gravel bike. I did a good ride from Freiburg up to the top of Feldberg on a mix of minor roads and tracks (there are mountain huts on the tracks, some open in the summer for drinks). Take your trunks up to Schlusee or Titisee and go for a dip. There were loads of classic mercedes climbing up Schauinsland, nice to see but not the best for air quality when slaving up a long hot climb. Nice descent on the other side.

munrobiker
    Free Member

An hour’s drive away is Colmar in France which is on the edge of the Vosges mountains. There’s a lot of really good mountain biking there. If you look for locations used for the Cannondale Enduro Tour you’ll find some great trails.

chipps

Cannondale’s R&D centre is in Freiburg… I’ve ridden there from town and there was a ton of fantastic riding. There are even some Canadian trailbuilders there who’ve been making some trails.

Cannondale Habit. First Impressions Of A Very Important Bike

rickmeister

Yep, the Canadian Trail is great, loads to go at round there, Munstertal and Staufen. For a longer schizzle you can also use the gondola to Schaunisland and bike back down some neat trails to Frieburg. Trailforks has got stuff listed

alpin
    Free Member

Freiburg… Great little town. Lots of students plus bars and eateries that go with them. Seems like every other person is rolling about town on a proper bike.

Lots of trails and certainly enough to keep you busy for two or three days.

Also the warmest town in Germany.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I was there 4 weeks ago riding the local trails in 30+ Deg C heat.
    We did the canadian and borderline trails.
    Not sure if there is a couple of days of riding locally but my local colleague noted a few bike parks close by also.

Both tons of fun, hired a nukeproof mega from https://www.rad-ikal.com/ which was well priced, set up well and in really good condition.

jameso

Ridden through it on a road/touring bike a few times, really like the town and whole area. Would defo grab an opportunity to go MTBing there.

panzerjager
    Free Member

I work in Basel so go to Frieburg quite often.
    As the others have said, plenty of quality MTB trails, as well as some lovely stuff more suited to the gravel bike.
    Lovely town too with everything you could need.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I got to know a Canadian fella on the BC Bike Race a couple of years back who lived and worked in Freiburg. He’d clearly fallen in with a bad crowd based on the video he showed me…(he’s on the right of shot at about 1:12)👍

strike
    Free Member

Thanks to all who replied. Decided to spend a day riding the Vosges area, West of Colmar then 2 days over at Freiburg.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Drop a post here about how you found the riding, i have preconceived ideas of what it’s like but would like more realistic feedback – ta…

big_scot_nanny

Me too, would love to hear about both areas (and any GPXs you’d care to share)

thanks!

strike
    Free Member

3 days of fantastic riding – here’s the debrief:

Friday – Ride 1/rode Mollau area in Alsace and rode the ‘Les 2 Cols’ trail and finished on Marathon line. Les 2 Cols was fantastic – you are riding on a ridge through trees with singletrack twisting through rocks and down drops. It’s a brutal climb to get up there but worth it and reminded me of some of the off-piste trails around PDS/Morzine area. Marathon line was a bit disappointing – it’s not maintained and it breaking up in many places. Ride 2 was at the La Bresse-Hohneck bike park – fantastic little park and got 6 runs in thanks to the lift.

Saturday – Todtnau bikepark – 2 trails down from the top and got 9 runs in. Nice little park to keep you entertained for half a day plus a swim in lake Titisee on the way back.

Sunday – Rode from Freiburg and first ride was down Canadian trail then second ride down Borderline. Great trails with dedicated uphill routes to reach them.

Freiburg was fantastic and is very geared up for cycling as a whole with a vibrant mtb scene. I would definitely go back but you have to be prepared for climbs to reach the trails. Some may hate the following but I now get the e-bike thing in that they alow you to do the climbs and then feel good for the downs AND allow you to do more. Example – I met a rider on a Spec Levo at Mollau/Alsace who was riding a 60km circuit – that’s a real mission there and an e-bike just opens up so much more potential. Also yet again TrailForks app proved indispensable and just makes scoping trails so much easier.

Thanks yo everyone who gave me tips and advice beforehand 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Brilliant stuff, thanks for the updates. I’ve ridden Lac Blanc quite a few times, but never thought of going to La Bresse – idiot! Will give that a go.

Top tips on the other trails too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden Freiburg/Germany?’ is closed to new replies.