Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone own/driven a London Taxi ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If you’re a cabby then obviously you do !

They’d make a great classic car !

loddrik
    Free Member

Yes, quite a lot when needed. Fairways, TX1 & TX2 over the years.

stumpy01

My Dad used to be a London cabbie. His cab was quite old and was apig to get started in the cold weather. When it finally started it would fill most of the road up with black smoke!

When he gave it up, he sold it to some bloke who was gonna use it as a private car. I think he came all the way up from Brighton to collect it.
    I think my Dad thought he was bonkers!

I remember getting in it in the summer with shorts on as a young kid & always burning my legs on the black vinyl seats….

loddrik
    Free Member

They’re pretty thirsty, slow and unrefined, but they’re not awful to drive when you are used to them (Fairways excepted), newer TX4 is turbocharged and a fair bit quicker as a result. More and more drivers using Peugeot E7s now, mainly due to fuel economy.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I used to make them .. TX1, TX2 and the TX4 .. and all the spares for the fairway , 😀 .. 12.5 yrs i was there, till the Chinese got involved and that was the end !!
    @ Loddrick … TX2 and TX4 were both turbo charged … TX2 havin the ford engine (mondeo/transit)in and the MV augusta in the TX4 …. TX1 has the old bombproof 2.9 Nissan engine in 🙂

maccruiskeen

I’ve known one or two people who’ve owned ex-cabs (as in the old fairways that I assume you mean as a classic, rather than the new retro-styled ones). They’re not terribly easy to live with – big, thirsty, unrefined, rattly and leaky (the close proximity of the leaky windscreen, the fuse box and you right knee being a particular grumble)

Although they’ve got some classic / retro design features they’re so ubiquitous as to be pretty much invisible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own/driven a London Taxi ?’ is closed to new replies.