Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone own an Orange P7 & 5?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Anyone out there own(ed) an Orange P7 and 5?

Reason I’m asking is that I bought a P7 in a sale last year, with intention of using it as a minimum maintenance winter bike. The P7 has really surpised me and I much prefer the handling and riding position of the P7 to my current FS. I’ve tried to adapt the cockpit of my FS with stem/bar etc. to get it more similar to the P7, but i think it’s about as close as it’ll get without completely compromising the handling.

I’m just wondering how the riding positions & handling of the P7 & 5 compare in ‘stock’ set up.

(wonder if I’ll get many ‘you can’t compare HT to FS like that’ comments 😉 )

hugorune

I know a man who does. Does Beagleboy use this forum?

Richyb
    Free Member

Yes I do. Ive got a 16″ 5 and a 15″ P7 and set them up with same finishing kit, length of stem etc.. I suppose the handling is fairly similar, I can usually ride everything bar the most stupid stuff just as well on the P7 but its hard to tell as it doesn’t get used much. I use the P7 to fairweather commute and for summer blasts but the 5 gets ridden a lot more. Im actually thinking of selling the p7 because I think I should have bought a 17″

If you’re wanting advice on whether or not to buy a 5. Just get one, they’re fantastic.

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

I’ve got both as well, a 19″ P7 and a 20″ 5. Again the setup of both is pretty similar, the stem is shorter on the 5. I would say though that my P7 is a Single Speed so the riding style is completely different as in I am always standing.

Both great bikes though.

Steve

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hmm.. interesting. My P7 is a 19″, so it sounds like you go up an inch in size to get the equivalent frame in a 5(?).

My FS is a Pace RC405, which is very nice, but for me and the type of riding I do these days I feel it’s just a bit too agressive ‘XC’/trail centre blast than a trail bike – maybe I’m just having a ‘feeling old’ week?! (47 going on 74!!)

RichT

I ride a 19″ Gringo and an 18″ 5 and I’m just about 6 foot. Unless you are over 6 foot an 18″ five should be fine. Try one and see.

takisawa2

Slight aside anyone…what size fork is the P7 designed for?

nsaints
    Free Member

I did Red Planets demo day last year, tried a 20inch 5 and the large 405
    The 5 felt to big, but I’d already set my heart on the 405 so it was a done deal
    Now the 405 feels a tad to small for me, after riding all winter on my 19inch Orange; so I’d try both the size 18 and 20 5

I’m intrested in your comments about the P7, I’ve got a Orange Gringo as my winter bike, but the Ali frame feels horrible and dead.
    I tried a Genesis Altitude a few weeks ago, and was really impressed with the zing of the frame in comparision
    I feel a new frame/bike purchase coming on within the next 12 months.. 🙂

Richyb
    Free Member

The current P7 is corrected for up to a 140m fork.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I have a 21″ P7 and a 20″ 5, they have the same ETT, so with the same stem/bars on they do feel quite similar in set-up.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’m intrested in your comments about the P7, I’ve got a Orange Gringo as my winter bike, but the Ali frame feels horrible and dead.

The P7 is the first steel bike I’ve ridden in over 25 years. After years on alu frames, the P7 was a complete revelation. I’d forgotten how good a well designed steel frame can be.

clareymorris

I too have a 15″ P7 and a 16″ 5.

I have put a layback post on the P7 as it felt a little cramped, but I am thinking of going inline again and putting a slightly longer stem on as I do find the front easily gets a bit wandery on steeper climbs. I only have a Fox float 100 on at the mo cus my Revs are being fixed, (I hope)!!

I asked for a slightly shorter stem on the 5, but apart from that it is stock and fits me well.

Love them both to ride in their different ways, but to look at it is the P7 every time!!!

dicky
    Free Member

Do you know if the P7 is available as frame only?

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Yes it is.

carbon337
    Free Member

I was looking for the p7 frame only option on the orange website but cant see it – how much £ new?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep, 17″ P7 and 16″ 5. Have a 70mm stem on the 5 and a 90mm on the P7. The hardtail does feel a bit more stretched out and only has 115mm Rebas on it compared to the 140mm Pikes on the 5. I’d probably have swopped the Rebas for longer forks, but lent it out and it came back with a **** huge scratch on one stantion, so that plan’s out of the window. I like the P7, it does feel very compliant compared with other hardtails I’ve ridden. Think they are £330 frame only?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I think I paid £300 for my P7 frame last Autumn, which seemed a v.competitive price at the time (bought it from Leisure Lakes Bikes). I think the current full price for the frame is £370.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own an Orange P7 & 5?’ is closed to new replies.