Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • anyone on here use ntl web mail and o2 mobile phone ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

if so what settings do you put in your mobile to send emails via ntl im totally at a loss. it will send when im connected to my home wifi network but not when im on o2. thanks

wwaswas

you need to use;

smtp.ntlworld.com and port 25

for outgoing mail from your phone on that account.

firestarter
    Free Member

thats what its on but not working ;-( bugger . it works on that when im at home on wifi but as soon as i get on to the o2 network it wont do it

wwaswas

quick search on the O2 forums shows a lot of people have this problem – I'd look int here it looks like you need to specify how the phone routes to the smtp server too. I'd search on there.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah had a look at those mate. tried lots but to no avail might just switch to gmail but got lots of stuff linked to my ntl ;-( bugger

wwaswas

you can setup your ntl mail to auto forward to gmail – I do that to my hotmail account from there.

firestarter
    Free Member

i can get my emails to the phone its just i cant reply. so that wouldnt solve anything unless i just sent via a gmail address. bloody ntl

wwaswas

it's not ntl – my wife uses their smtp servers quite happily from her iPhone (on o2 as it happens).

Must be something about how your phone is setup.

firestarter
    Free Member

has your wifes ntl account migrated to google yet? seems there are problems galore with ntl like i say mine worked great but its just stopped

wwaswas

not sure, tbh. she's been prompted for her password a few times recently when trying to collect mail and I recently set my daughter up an address and got an @virginmedia address for her not an ntlworld one.

firestarter
    Free Member

by the way on my old smartphone i had to use the mail.o2.co.uk server to send as it was the only one that would work so i was suprised this time the ntl server worked (briefly lol)

Cougar

Generally speaking, your outgoing SMTP server should be the one from your service provider, not your email provider. So in the above example, your incoming server will be mail.ntlworld.com (or whatever), and your outgoing server will be smtp.o2.co.uk.

The other way of doing it would be to emable outbound authentication; so theoretically if you insisted on using NTL's SMTP servers, you'd have to enable authentication and give it your logon credentials. On some email servers you will need to enable secure connections to do this – typically this will change the port from 25 to 465 or Something Else, it varies.

As may be apparent, the first way is the easiest by far. (-:

Cougar

As an aside, authenticated SMTP is getting more and more common, due to the prevelance of spam and other email abuse. I don't think it's the case currently, but you might find that you need to authenticate with an O2 email account in order to relay through O2's servers – with a contract phone you've probably been issued one whether you wanted it or not.

firestarter
    Free Member

tried to do it via ntl but it says outgoing server doesnt support authentication check settings. but cant get the o2 one to work at all. arsepipe . thanks for the info tho 😉 still stuck at not being able to send whilst on o2 network think i will just reply via gmail annoying tho as it was working great til it stopped lol

firestarter
    Free Member

yey working i had to set up an authenticated smtp with 02 as you said cougar now its working . just means when im on the wifi net at home it still sends via o2 but thats no prob. cheers chaps

Cougar

Win. Cool.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘anyone on here use ntl web mail and o2 mobile phone ?’ is closed to new replies.