• This topic has 97 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Anyone NOT watching any Olympics?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Surely McDonalds and Coke are paying to have their logos all over the place, and that money is going towards the games. And not that the lottery funding is going towards putting up loads of McDonalds and Coke adverts. Cause that seems a little silly.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

So the total bill is 9Bn. That includes the cost of paying the police and army who would still be paid if they were on barracks in Aldershot or wherever. It also includes building the infrastructure which was desperately needed in a deprived area. It includes the 2Bn needed to run LOCOG which was raised through private companies and 2.2Bn raised from the lottery. Just under 1Bn cones from the Greater London Authority who see it as in investment to benefit Londoners. A further 1Bn has come in from ticket sales.

That leaves 3Bn from general taxation. This is what the UK government spends every 3 hours (roughly) and this has been spent over the last 7 years. Given that there are 40,000 visiting athletes and around 1 million visiting spectators/officials, if they all spend £300 (very easy in a fortnight on food, accommodation etc) then for the country the games breaks even.

It has paid for the huge construction work, employed 10’s of thousands of people, regenerated a deprived area and the Olympic stadium has been delivered on time, and it’s the first Olympic stadium ever built without the loss of a single life.

Sport is great. It brings people together and I for one am really looking forward to watching as much as I can. Despite not being able to get any tickets…

rewski
    Free Member

@ cg: If you’re not interested then why are you posting of forums about it, are you trolling, bitter, stupid, attention seeking or all of the above?

Just curious.

Now let the rest of us enjoy ourselves.

mikey3
    Free Member

I,m looking forward to it,sorry i,ll try and get more miserable and bitter as i get older,promise.

donsimon
    Free Member

i think i see where donny is going with his analogy…. there seems to be a lot of excited people who want to enjoy the limpiks, they’d be the friends in this instance?

+1. I totally agree with this.

flange
    Free Member

I pay tax and that is spent on lots of things I don’t need or want. Life sucks at times

So do I on occasion, and it goes on things like drug rehabilitation (I don’t take drugs), primary schools (I don’t have kids), housing benefits (I pay a mortgage and don’t receive any financial support) and so on. I don’t begrudge any of it. However I don’t see McFilth, Coke or Lloyds TSB profiting from them either nor do I have it shoved down my throat when I want to drive somewhere tomorrow morning.

@ cg: If you’re not interested then why are you posting of forums about it, are you trolling, bitter, stupid, attention seeking or all of the above?

Just curious.

Now let the rest of us enjoy ourselves.

Really? You can’t voice your opinion if it differs from the (blinded) majority? Who the **** are you – the forum Overlord?

samuri
    Free Member

I suppose I should care about themoney and stuff but the real reason I’m not watching is for the same reason I rarely watch any olympics stuff, just not that interested. And I’ll be on a plane when the cycling is on so ho hum.

cinnamon_girl

rewski – it was obvious from the thread title what the content would be so you didn’t have to read it did you?

No, I am not trolling neither am I bitter, nor stupid nor attention-seeking.

Jog on and enjoy yourself.

mcboo
    Free Member

I think you’re trolling

cheez0
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences.

I’m going to be out on the empty roads BLEHHMMMMING it HARD on my 1250 BANDIT..

Any slow moving traffic will be passed quickly and safely, whether they think so or not.

Coz I can.

[TAGS] PP and Woody and everyone else with rotchcrockets[/TAGS]

sparksmcguff

My telly’s been confiscated after watching the Tour De France and been permanently tuned to NCIS. I dislike NCIS. A lot.

donsimon
    Free Member

However I don’t see McFilth, Coke or Lloyds TSB profiting from them either nor do I have it shoved down my throat when I want to drive somewhere tomorrow morning.

They’re easing the cost burden and benefitting from the advertising. And you’re exercising your right not to have anything to do with the games, others have a different view. I don’t detest your attitude, I think it’s great that you can express it without being shouted down.
    I don’t think I’d be too happy at sponsors coming into our schools either, especially if they were McDonalds or Coca~Cola.

flange
    Free Member

So the total bill is 9Bn. That includes the cost of paying the police and army who would still be paid if they were on barracks in Aldershot or wherever.

Regardless of the fact that £283m was given to G4S who have failed to do their jobs? And the various temporary Army digs set up around London are of course all free aren’t they. It doesn’t cost money to arrange them?

It also includes building the infrastructure which was desperately needed in a deprived area.

Are we referring to the ‘new’ station at Stratford that forces you to walk through the shopping mall to get to the Games? The same Stratford station that doesn’t actually have any more services stopping there (which is desperately needed) on the Norwich-Liverpool St line? Or the A12 that goes past Stratford that hasn’t been touched but is going to be an absolute nightmare for anyone trying to get into Canary Wharf over the next two weeks?

Just under 1Bn cones from the Greater London Authority who see it as in investment to benefit Londoners

Really? How so? I’d love to know how the one street in Kingston that’s been resurfaced and had all lovely new street furniture put in when it was actually the one street in Kingston that didn’t need it is going to benefit anyone. Or all the facilities that may or may not be kept.

It has paid for the huge construction work, employed 10’s of thousands of people, regenerated a deprived area and the Olympic stadium has been delivered on time, and it’s the first Olympic stadium ever built without the loss of a single life

Yes, its been paid for with money that would have been better spent elsewhere, as already pointed out. And as far as I know, Stratford is still a sh1thole and for the majority of it remains untouched by the so-called redevelopment. And what sort of selling point is ‘nobody lost their life building it’. Its not Bridge over the River Kwai.

rewski
    Free Member

punching coe in the face, really?

don’t worry i’m jogging on, this place stinks of whinge buckets.

Who the **** are you – the forum Overlord?

I would love that title but I fear it’s already taken, sounds like you just want a forum ruck, I’m not bitting I’m afraid.

Luminous
    Free Member

Anyone NOT watching any Olympics?

It will be quite difficult for me as I have no TV. Suppose there is the iplayer thingy, but I’m not sure if I’ll bother.

But I hope I can catch the cycling online somewhere.

EDIT:

Oh, looks like I may have wandered into a flame-off.
    Ignore me.

molgrips
    Free Member

where’s the benefit in sitting inside watching it

Because I enjoy sport. Coke or McDs have nothing to do with that.

I will still go out riding etc, trust me!

boriselbrus – good post, however: it may not be a significant sum of money relative to everything but it is a significant sum of money.

I would like to know how many people have been paid to build stuff and produce raw materials etc for all this stuff. How much of the money has actually been paid to overseas companies? Otherwise surely it’s just Keynsian stimulus isn’t it?

flange
    Free Member

I would love that title but I fear it’s already taken, sounds like you just want a forum ruck, I’m not bitting I’m afraid.

Nope, not at all. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and just because yours is wrong you support the games doesn’t mean everyone has to.

I’m boring myself now so I’ll give it a rest, I feel better for having a rant. Thanks all x

cinnamon_girl

Why are some people having a hissy fit? I’ve stayed away from the pro-Olympic threads so nobody’s been upset there.

Some people. 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Why are some people having a hissy fit? I’ve stayed away from the pro-Olympic threads so nobody’s been upset there.

New here, are we? 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

i might watch some of the cycling, but i have no interest in Athletics, Swimming, judo, archery, etc etc. So why would i watch them just because it is the Olympics? To be honest most cycling is boring to watch as well, i am just hoping the road race isn’t a sprinters procession as i find that sort of thing very boring.

flap_jack
    Free Member

From wonderful illegal raves to crass world wide mainstream TV. Lord, how far have Underworld fallen…

beanieripper
    Free Member

i wont be watching any of the drug fueled, doped up, over sponsored corporate shambles that is the Olympics…

RealMan
    Free Member

Everyone is just miserable cause they all know that Sagan is gonna tear it to pieces in the road race and beat Cav.

willard

Just got back from a week’s holiday in Paradise Dorset and the traffic was terrible. What’s going on? Did I miss anything?

onehundredthidiot

I’ll watch some when not riding my bikes walking the dog and returned from torridon. I like sport but don’t care that’ it’s in London.

Royally pissed off the the OH is down there policing and for the three weeks and they still don’t know what or where they are policing. She spent 15 hours traveling in a coach due to the budget restriction and they were given £10 spending money £5 for each way, yet big wigs congratulate the organisers because they take 50 minutes to get from wheels touching down to Mayfair.

DezB
    Free Member

I like sport. Theres gonna be a lotta sport on in the next few weeks. But I must say the CRAP that has been on since i got in from work has been well, er, CRAP! and then after that there’s the countdown to the opening ceremony for 2 hours! A COUNTDOWN for TWO HOURS?? are they trying to make people pissed off with it before its even started?

juan
    Free Member

no TV so not much coverage for us.

nealglover
    Free Member

I think flange is taking an early lead for gold in the STW “Olympic Whinging” event.

But I reckon the pack will catch up at some time over the next two weeks. Very hard to maintain a solo breakaway for that length of time.

😉

Worked on it for 9 months and now have zero interest in watching any of it.

Oh, me and a few thousand others could have told you months ago that G4S would make a hash of security – the arrangements for getting in and out of the construction site was farcical at the best of times and that operation was tiny compared to policing the actual games. The language barrier caused quite a problem at times with a lot of the people they dragged up to man the gates.

donsimon
    Free Member

The language barrier caused quite a problem at times with a lot of the people they dragged up to man the gates.

Agreed, anything further north than Watford is almost incomprehensible. It’s a given that everyone understands the product of public schools, I’m just referring to the proles.

Poor effort don – crawl off back under your stone.

Man gates – wtf are you even on about?

Oh and whilst I’m fully aware that you are desperately searching my post for some racist undertones, they aren’t there. A good percentage of the security staff couldn’t speak very good English – end of!

Sneaky edit there don 😕

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh and whilst I’m fully aware that you are desperately searching my post for some racist undertones, they aren’t there

That’s exactly what I’m doing, I’m not simply taking the piss because that would be too obvious and simple, it just has to be something else, doesn’t it? It is quite interesting how you see racism though…

cinnamon_girl

I’ve been true to my word. Haven’t even looked at the news either.

In a few weeks it will be over, egos polished and shining brightly, then Joe Public will realise that the wool has been pulled over their eyes.

Then the moaning will start, probably on here first. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Olympic moaning about the Olympics is well underway here CG

cinnamon_girl

Thank goodness a Big Hitter has joined in. 😉 C’mon al – we need your words, wisdom or otherwise!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences what are you minnows arguing about?

cinnamon_girl

Nah, the minnows are in London. 🙂

zippykona

Mrs zip has the telly ,I have a spade and have been either squashing snails or cutting slugs in half.

Hohum
    Free Member

What does I struggle with long sentences stand for?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Anyone NOT watching any Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.