• This topic has 71 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by joefm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Anyone here off to Le Mans this week?
  • simondbarnes

Heading over early tomorrow. Looking like being a bit of a scorcher – temps up around 30C and lots of sun. Shame there are only 5 LMP1-H competing but the LMP2s are a lot faster this year which is good.
    Looking forward to lots of red wine, bread & cheese 🙂

jimdubleyou

Pastis!

Not going, not even slightly jealous, no not at all…
    🙁

simondbarnes

Pastis!

No thanks! I’ll add olives & merguez to my list though. The race is generally secondary – fine food & drink is where it’s at 🙂

jimdubleyou

Don’t forget the Tartiflette.

pondo

Do the chopper display squad still put in an appearene?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Absolutely scorching in Paris this past weekend, a cool 26 today but due to warm up again. Note we had an epic/biblical thunder storm one night. Sadly this year I have to add to the very long list of years I said would be my first visit to the race. Enjoy the weekend.

Meurgez are great, just about make up for the lack of bacon !

simondbarnes

Sadly this year I have to add to the very long list of years I said would be my first visit to the race.

You need to put that right!

Think this will be about my 15th visit (or close to it)

daviek

It’s father’s day on Sunday so any year I’m not working its some beer and heart attack food in the fridge and I try and watch 18 or so hours of the race.

My 50th falls on the 100th anniversary so if I don’t make it ovee there by then come hell or high water I will in 2023!!

rsl1
    Free Member

My first time was last year, this year I’ll be returning in a fleet of £250 bangers which we hope to take on through Austria and to the nurburgring after the race!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Would love to go but unless i can blag something last minute I’ll have to settle for watching it on tv 🙁

It’s father’s day on Sunday so any year I’m not working its some beer and heart attack food in the fridge and I try and watch 18 or so hours of the race.

Sounds like a good plan, when i was there 2 years ago i managed to stay up for the whole race barring getting my head down for 20mins on the front seat of the work van next to the track. But even then I could still hear cars going round so not sure if I actually slept or not 😆

joebristol

Been twice and loved it both times.

Once in a small group on the first visit – on the second there were 12 of us on my stag do. Unsurprisingly I got my fair share of banter with people on the Saturday when I was dressed in a pink plastic dress as Penelope Pitstop. Also coincided with really hot weather for most of the day!

Result of the race is pretty secondary in my experience – it’s the social side that’s great. Make sure you’re sat by the track at 3am ish though – not many people about at that time and seeing the cars fly past in the dark whilst drunk is great. If you’re near the end of the start finish straight you see the cars braking towards you then snaking through a few turns before accelerating away.

The lmp cars were the most amazing for this Witt he downforce as it’s almost unbelievable how quick they go through those turns.

I’ll never forget the sound / ground shaking ability of the v8 Corvettes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I will be glued to Eurosport as usual..

Fabulous event.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I know @Simon I must, have friends and colleagues who go most years and always come back with big smiles

ourmaninthenorth

Not going, not even slightly jealous, no not at all…

Nor am I.

Kindly don’t gloat SdB….

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve promised my father I’ll take him to the LM Classic next year for his 70th birthday.

When he was in his early 40s, he took to leaping on his motorbike with a friend and heading to various motorsport races across Europe – he only went to Le Mans once and turned up without tickets. They pulled the bikes into a lay-by to check the (paper!) map and got chatting to a guy driving a team support truck. In between broken Franglais the guy gave them tickets and VIP passes..!

Eurosport it is this weekend..!

simon_g

Sadly this year I have to add to the very long list of years I said would be my first visit to the race.

Ditto (baby #2 put paid to that). Next year…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Still not been yet and MrsSB is off to Spain with girly mates tomorrow morning so the left at dads are having a Le Mans themed tennis BBQ round at a mates where we can talk about our plans for next years trip.
    Host has just bought a Healey 3000 to take, another has an E Type and I’m hoping to pick up a Boxster (wife is v keen to get one but she thinks it will be new!!).
    Can’t decide whether to go to the Classic race or not.

robbo1234biking

Anyone seen the Amazon series yet?

Going to give it a go tonight

mark90
    Free Member

Can’t decide whether to go to the Classic race or not.

I’ve only done the classic, but Shelby Cobra’s and GT40’s do it for me 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Anyone seen the Amazon series yet?

Given that I effectively have 2 jobs at the moment and am hiding at home to get through it all, now having this running on the iMac behind my work laptop isn’t helping..!

For those going, have you stickers up your cars? If so, let’s see..!

atlaz
    Free Member

Meurgez are great, just about make up for the lack of bacon !

Pro tip. take Ficelle (like a skinny baguette), chop into sausage shaped lengths, waggle knife in bread to create hole, whack loads of mustard and harissa on the merguez, pop it into the bread. French market style. Stops the bloody thing falling out.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Have been about 10 times and was offered a trip this yr in a mates brand new 5ltr mustang as passenger/guide but couldn’t do it due to family commitments

daviek

Sorted out anything that needs doing this morning and now settling in to watch the race.

Can’t believe the weather is nice outside though! Still the wife’s away out so I can’t go anywhere today anyway so might as well watch it

tenfoot

Not going, but been before. Hoping Toyota will win this year, after last year’s last minute let down.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sat in in-laws garden outside Paris, very hot and with a bit of a hangover from too much Rosé last night. At least a partial Le Mans experience anyway 😐

milky1980
    Free Member

Getting that itch every year to go back again at some point! Went in ’07-’09 and they were awesome. Looks like a proper scorcher for the whole 24H this year, those camping will struggle to sleep in their nuclear reactors 😀

Will just keep tabs on it and plan to watch the finish with my dad on Sunday. Hoping Toyota get a podium at minimum after last year’s heartbreak.

withersea
    Free Member

Will be going again next year, stood memorized in the grand stand last year when the toyota stopped in front of us. Hope they clinch it this year.

If anyone doesn’t have support, Quest have some live coverage and highlights. And if you need the full fix, youtube are streaming radio le mans.

palmer77
    Free Member

Poor old Toyota!!!

nickewen
    Free Member

Unbelievable scenes. They’re having an absolute nightmare!

nickewen
    Free Member

He’s away again!!

palmer77
    Free Member

The car in front…

…is a Porsche!!!

tenfoot

Not Toyota’s year again

daviek

Still not at the half way point, what’s the odds on the podium being an all LMP2 affair?

nickewen
    Free Member

Wonder what the odds were on that yesterday..?! JEV likes flashing his lights doesn’t he? Him and Brundle are in the same class car so not sure what his craic is. This is all new to me mind.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Make sure you’re sat by the track at 3am ish though – not many people about at that time and seeing the cars fly past in the dark whilst drunk is great.

I couldn’t believe how dead the place was at that time of morning when I first went, think I was still expecting huge crowds even at that unsociable time of day!

I think i must be in the minority that wants Porsche to beat Toyota 😆 I need to go again next year, watching it on tv just isn’t the same 🙁

integerspin
    Free Member

I would love to have gone. I know someone who was a mechanic for the WEC ford team, he didn’t like all the traveling and he chucked his job at the end of May!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

what’s the odds on the podium being an all LMP2 affair?

Not far off that being a good possibility now!

milky1980
    Free Member

#2 Porsche could still climb back up to 3rd with a clean run to the finish, 2nd would be a possibility too.

After years and years of the Audi’s running around with monotonous reliability it’s rather exciting with all the breakdowns spicing it up!

palmer77
    Free Member

Car #1!!!

daviek

No oil pressure, whole lap on hybrid power?

It’s been a good race but the LMP1s have been a disappointment

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here off to Le Mans this week?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM