Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone help with a drone?
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

This forum is a miracle of information so I thought Id try. Having problems tuning my quad drone phantom type thing (insert daily mail panic headline here)
    Can anyone help getting the gains to the correct level?
    Fingers crossed.

Klunk
    Free Member

is there a dronetrackworld.com you can try ?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Several. But the rate of posting is so minimal the sites are basically static. No one adds to topics no one looks at the topics.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/1koG2zbrV8Y[/video]

hth 😉

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Oh god not him. Worst drone for quite some time. Ive had to be the same room and deal with him on a professional level. The self controll I needed not to pu…….

jambalaya
    Free Member

You mean getting it to hover with controls neutral ? I’ve no specific drone experience (RC helicopters / planes gliders only) but with those I just look at the RC control position required for stable flight and then translate to trim controls ?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Tuning as in what way? If its a Phantom then you you need to calibrate the compass, run though the alignment software and it should hover fairly steadily without you having to do anything else.
    If its standard then you shouldn’t need to touch the gain and even if you have added things on like a gimbal and camera it should still be okay (well mine is anyhow!)

nach
    Free Member

Not that I’m very experienced or would have much knowledge to offer, but it’s hard to know what you’re talking about without knowing what your’e working on and how it’s currently behaving. Is it a Phantom, or a home built one with a custom flight controller you designed and etched yourself?

brassneck

If you’re changing the gains in the Phantom update software, I’d have to ask why? Just make sure compass calibration is done and you have GPS lockwhen you fly, should be set .. and make sure you’re in the correct right switch orientation if you are flying in NAZA mode.

I’ve not found it necessary to alter the altitude gain, as being too quick makes the flight a bit twitchy when you settle to take a shot.. if you do I think you’d just crank it by 5% at a time till you’re happy?

EDIT: wot rockhopper said. Have a ZenMuse and GoPro 4 on there so it’s about as loaded as a P2 gets and I’ve not had to change owt.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Try rcgroups.com

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Its not a Phantom, just uses a NAZA at its heart, it is about Phantom sized. Just can’t get the thing to fly in a behaved way. I’d not be modifying an 800 quid version.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

RCgroups.com is very american. I can feel my brain melting as I read through the pages.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a look at the Heliguy forum – UK based and the guys are really helpful.

toppers3933
    Free Member

multirotor uk forum is pretty good too.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Cool thanks. Someone must be able to help.

pacemaker
    Free Member

The phantom is based on a f450 with naza, I have lots of experience with naza , vector and apm so will do what I can.

What is it you need to tune and why ?, the phantom flies well out of the box so shouldn’t need much.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Well my version is based on the Naza unit too, suing a custom frame and 2212 motors flying a three cell 4000ah battery. The Gain settings are the key to getting a good steady flight. So far my version has a trembling flight and can addopt a rapdly oscelating flight pattern (resulting in sudden loss of height) simila to a Vortex ring state but not while descending but usually into the wind. Hovering is almost ok but I’d love to find someone locally who could fly it and see where they thing the problem lays.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Where are you ?, I’m in Leeds but mainly fly at York

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’m also in Leeds, well shipley/Bradford. I’ve had it flying nicely but under a breeze it flutters and descends rapidly and i’d like to have it stable.
    I’ve got a couple of videos under calm conditions when it was behaving well ish.

pacemaker
    Free Member

There is no damage to the props or anything loose is there ?, just with the way its shaking it looks more like a shake than ocillations .

matt_outandabout

You need to fix that fence between you and the neighbours first…

toppers3933
    Free Member

It does look like the props could do with balancing. that is a good place to start. If, however, what its doing is holding steady in a hover then over compensating when you move it then the gains need dropping by small amounts (increments of 10 usually).
    What are the gains at presently?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Fence is done. Gains were dropped massively after a rather harsh landing after the wobbling began. I decided I wasn’t working. I’ll look at the gains again if i get home while it isn’t raining or very very windy which has accompanied the building of the craft in a spooky way.
    from memory they might have been as high as 160% to get rid of the yaw induced drop which put it onto the grass.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Single track is a fantastic forum. Ask a question about something completely unrelated to bikes and you get half a dozen answers. Ask on a drone forum and you get, nothing. Not a sausage on two out of three, a request for information on one, then silence.
    Which is why stw is my first choice for just about everything.

tthew

So have you fixed it then?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Nope, just yawed unexpectedly across the drive. I might give up and save up for an out of the box solution.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I will meet up with you have have a look for you , don’t bin it off just yet.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Looking longingly at a phantom 2 for simplicity and an already proven flight style.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

It’s not bee binned, but as it took the GOpro 4 Black with it into the fence I care little about the drone compared with the Camera!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone help with a drone?’ is closed to new replies.