Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone had problems with a Cube / Syntace X-12 mech hanger?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

My LBS say Cube have cocked up because the mech hanger puts the mech so far back it’s impossible to get the gears shifting properly.

Picture of similar bike

Can anyone confirm this is right/wrong, alternatively say something truly funny?

vonplatz
    Free Member

Mine works fine, slightly suspect that a company like Cube would spec a derailleur hanger that could never work, never notice during product testing but release to general public anyway…

Maybe go for a second opinion?

winrya
    Free Member

I know with my 2014 stereo there is a different mech hanger for sram and shimano. Don’t happen to have the wrong hanger? Mine is a sram xo mech and the shimano xt mech hanger sits much further back and looks totally different

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They work better than the more ‘normal’ type & usually index more easily.
    There are different types for Sram & Shimano (where you remove the B link) so make sure the right one has been fitted.
    We’ve sold close to 400 Cubes in the last two years & never had an issue like that..

theblackmount
    Free Member

Yeah had major problems with a Fritzz. Not sure if your model is the same but mine only works with a shadow mech so if you have the wrong mech / hanger combo there no way it will shift. However there’s another couple of potential issues with syntace system (assuming yours is the same) 1.) a pinch bolt clamps the threaded female insert on the drive side / also locks the mech hanger in place. On mine the mech hanger has a small (male) nib which locks into a female socket on the underside of the drop out. Great idea except it’s got several degrees of movement i.e when you nip up the bolt you can rotate the hanger a few degrees. That’s enough to cause shifting problems. 2.) if your drop outs are misaligned i.e not perpendicular to the axle, as soon as your crank up that axle (which exerts a lot of force) the axle can pull the drop out, out of square with the axle.

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks!

There are different types for Sram & Shimano (where you remove the B link) so make sure the right one has been fitted.

That could be it. I think they had to screw one of the screws in way further than normal or put a longer one in or something like that. Thing is, I’m a long long way from a Cube dealer. How do I know which hanger I have got?

winrya
    Free Member

on the stereo/fritz

The shorter one is Sram as below

Longer one is Shimano as below

and trailhead will get one sent out to you, just pop an email to Sandy
    http://www.thetrailhead.co.uk

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks. Based on that (assuming it’s the equivalent difference for the Elite HPC XC bike), I’ve definitely got the right one for my XTR mech, so perhaps it’s something else. Maybe it’s second opinion time.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Have you got some photos of your set up with mech attached?

chrispo
    Free Member

Cassette and chain are about to be replaced, which is why they haven’t been lubed. LBS set it up as last-minute emergency for race on Sunday, they had to set it up so I couldn’t use the biggest sprocket, and it was ghost-shifting like crazy in the middle cogs until finally the chain snapped.

There’s also some issue with the screws apparently.

It’s a Cube Elite XC bike, 2013 model with 2014 replacement frame.

Does this look wrong?

Thanks for showing an interest!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yes that is wrong, your mech needs the B link removing, as they’re designed to be a direct fit.
    There won’t be any issues with any screws if it’s bolted on properly!
    Hopefully the pic below should make sense?

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks, you’re a star. It’s all very obvious now even to a clutz like me. I shall be having words…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No problem at all. (FWIW I work at The Trailhead that someone else mentioned above-if you need any work doing, you know where to find us..)
    Just take the mech off, flick off the retaining clip (back of the B link bolt), undo the bolt, remove the link & bolt it back on & index. Takes about 5 minutes.

wwaswas

I shall be having words…

it does seem odd they’ve not heard/seen about this way of attaching mechs!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had problems with a Cube / Syntace X-12 mech hanger?’ is closed to new replies.