Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone got experience with Sram Level brakes?
  • tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

So the new bike I bought this year came with the sort of XT M8000 brakes that are completely broken by design, multiple bleeds didn’t fix them, and so they will wander into the bin now! 🙁

As replacements I’m currently looking at 2017 Sram Level TL brakes. One thing I did like about the Shimanos is that the pads at rest are a decent distance away from the discs so I never had any brake rub, can anyone comment if the Level have a similar system? It’s hard to decipher with all the terminology like SwingLink, DirectLink, etc.
    Can anyone recommend other brakes in that price range that are fairly trouble free? Also considering 2016 or 2017 Shimano SLX (which apparently don’t suffer from the XT/XTR’s reliability issues this year). Might also consider a Guide RE, though not sure i need a 4 piston brake for the not very gravity-focussed riding I do.

Thanks all!

benpinnick

You’ll find the pad retraction on SRAM brakes is best on the SwingLink brakes, not the direct link. Thats the Guide RS, RSC and ultimates. All the others (inc. all Level brakes) use DirectLink levers which sit the pads a little closer to the discs.

Based on your requirements, I would warranty your M8000 brakes, sell the replacements, then get some SLX 675 or Deore 615s. They’ll offer you enough power I suspect, with a big rotor clearance and good reliability.

13thfloormonk

Have the basic Level Ts on my Superfly. It’s early days yet but really like them, no noticeable rub or drag but then they’re new and I’ve not taken them through any real filth yet.

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

Good advice guys, thanks. Looks like either a 2016 SLX or a pair of Guides then. Cheers!

jonnyrockymountain

I ditched my shimano XT about 4 month ago on both my bikes and now run 2017 Level TL on both far better than shimano’s lovely feel to them.
    I’m that impressed was thinking of selling one set and getting the Level ultimate’s!! (treat myself)!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are interested in a set drop me mail? jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

jonny what’s the pad clearance like on the 2017 Level TLs? Similar to the XTs? I understand there’s been some tech transfer from the Guide calipers (or was that cams?) for the new models.
    I’ve had Avid Juicy 5s for 8 years that worked beautifully, never even been bled, but often needed the caliper to be realigned because they would rub easily especially when riding through a puddle, and I really don’t want to go back to doing that 🙂

joebristol

Slightly different but I have the guide rs. They’ve been really good so far. The standard organic pads didn’t last too well once the weather got wet last year (think swinley forest sandy soil ground them down). Sram and Uberbike sintered pads have been fantastic in them since. I’m on 160mm discs at both ends and I’ve got almost endless power – even hurtling at pace down bpw all day I didn’t want for any extra power. Modulation wise they feel better than all the shimano discs I’ve used. I don’t think theres much weight difference between levels and guides.

I think the rs is the lowest guide that has swinglink instead of direct link which keeps pads further away initially.

They are also really easy to bleed – I had a first time attempt a month ago and got both perfect first time with a nice firm lever. No dragging of pads on disc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got experience with Sram Level brakes?’ is closed to new replies.